Quantcast Laptop with msata slot for ssd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Laptop with msata slot for ssd

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for laptop, and recently I purchased a Lenovo laptop (y560p). I turns out that the lenovo laptop has an msata port where I can install a msata ssd which i can use to boot the system and install all my softwares in it. This way, I can use the internal hdd of the laptop for storage. Unfortunately, I had to send my laptop back to newegg but they ran out of the laptop that I wanted.

So I am back in the market for laptops. Hence, I have been doing a lot of research to see what other laptops are capable of having this dual boot system such as lenovo. I have read that samsung has one, but cannot confirm this anywhere. Also, the laptop does not have to have msata slot but others as well such as pcie so that i can install ssd in it for windows booting and program installation while using the original hdd for storing my files.

Thank you very much.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Acer

Not sure if hp is a good brand.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Running softwares such as matlab, mathematica, solidworks/cad, and some video editing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    not really

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    3-4 hrs is fine with me.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    buying online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    windows 7

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    the standard ones are fine.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    both are okay with me.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Somewhat.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    i want to buy within the month.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    atleast 4 yrs.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    500 gb or above. I prefer 7200 rpm over 5400 rpm. The option of having a ssd added to msata slot or pcie slot would be great.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    DVD burner, bluray drive is a plus
    Last edited by dmand; 14th September 2011 at 11:52 AM.

ZaZ
    Super Model

Default Re: Laptop with msata slot for ssd

I thought Lenovo is the only one offering mSATA at this moment, but I could be wrong and I'm sure others are working on it cause it's the best thing since sliced bread. It might help if you said something about what you want or need other than the mSATA drive of course. The FAQ stuck at the top of this forum would help us narrow things down.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thank you ZaZ!

I definitely want an i7 processor along with a dedicated graphics card (1 gb min). My budget is around 899-950 or so. What I really wanted to do was to get the cheapest laptop with i7 and 1gb vram, and then upgrade the laptop myself (ie. the msata ssd, or if needed then 7200 rpm hdd). Hence, y560p was a good choice. Now, y560p is selling for $799 plus tax with 750 hdd (5400 rpm), 8gb ram, and 1gb ati 6470 vram, for close to $850. I was looking at asus n53sv series for about $899-$950 as well. It has 4 gb ram, 1gb nvidia 540m vram, and 500 or 750 gb hdd (7200 rpm). I definitely do not want to keep 5400 rpm if there isn't another hdd slot to install ssd as well. Do you think it would be better to buy the lenovo along with msata or the asus and wait for ssd price to go down.

lenovo website:
    Lenovo - Enhance your IdeaPad Y560p Laptop - 43972FU - Black

Asus:
    500 gb hdd one: Newegg.com - ASUS N53 Series N53SV-XV1 Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M w/ NVIDIA Optimus

750 gb hdd one: Newegg.com - ASUS N53 Series N53SV-A1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 750GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Another laptop that i found interesting for 749:
    Dell:
    The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Any other options and opinions are appreciated. Thank you very much!

Overthinking? Always!

errr... why do you want a 1gb minimum gpu?

Notebook Enthusiast

I wanted to use the laptop for some video editing as well. I am just starting to do video editing, so i thought it was better to have gpu. As for the 1 gb, it seems to be the standard for laptops. Thanks!

I would definitely like i7 due to programs and simulations that i'll have to run.
    Last edited by ZaZ; 14th September 2011 at 01:34 PM.

ZaZ
    Super Model

Quote Originally Posted by dmand View Post
    Unfortunately, I had to send my laptop back to newegg but they ran out of the laptop that I wanted.
    Because? Was it this?

Notebook Enthusiast

Thats the y570 model. The one that i returned was y560p. It was being sold for 699, hence i thought for that price i could buy msata ssd and upgrade the ram as well.

ZaZ
    Super Model

I'm confused, the y560p doesn't have the mSATA slot?

Notebook Prophet

Between these two laptops, ALWAYS choose the XV1. Don't buy the A1. The reason is the screen. Even though you've had 1366x768 in your Y560p, the screen upgrade to 1920x1080 (as in the XV1) makes more of a difference than anything else. 1366x768 is a mediocre resolution, making things big (in 15.6") and not letting you fit very much onscreen. Most 15.6" 1366x768 screens have poor image quality too. The hard drive doesn't matter nearly as much as the screen does. You can upgrade the HDD yourself down the line but not the screen, you're basically stuck with a crappy screen if you buy a crappy screen.

With the A1, you're basically paying more, for less, since the screen is exponentially more important than the hard drive.
    Dell Precision M4400 - 15.4" 1920x1200 RGBLED | Quadro 770M | QX9200 | 4GB | 500GB | 7 Pro

Overthinking? Always!

Quote Originally Posted by edit1754 View Post
    Between these two laptops, ALWAYS choose the XV1. Don't buy the A1. The reason is the screen. Even though you've had 1366x768 in your Y560p, the screen upgrade to 1920x1080 (as in the XV1) makes more of a difference than anything else. 1366x768 is a mediocre resolution, making things big (in 15.6") and not letting you fit very much onscreen. Most 15.6" 1366x768 screens have poor image quality too. The hard drive doesn't matter nearly as much as the screen does. You can upgrade the HDD yourself down the line but not the screen, you're basically stuck with a crappy screen if you buy a crappy screen.

With the A1, you're basically paying more, for less, since the screen is exponentially more important than the hard drive.
    between those laptops chose neither, there is so much flex in that thing, and the keyboard gives a wave like effect, its just not worth it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast