Quantcast Best laptop for streaming video?

+ Reply to Thread

Us Best laptop for streaming video?

Pretty inexperienced with computers but I use my laptop for watching TV and movies more than anything else. Light word processing, gaming, email, etc. also. AS you can see from my responses below, I don't know about many features and really am indifferent to just about everything as long as TV watching quality is best. My one hang-up is no Apple notbeooks because it's hard for me to use them. But my real question is: WHAT IS THE BEST LAPTOP FOR WATCHING STREAMING VIDEOS?

1) Price not an issue

2) IDC

3) US

4) NO MACs please. I had a hard enough time learning to use PCs.

5) NO

6) TV

7) On Desk

8) IDK

9) IDC

10) Without seeing is OK

11) Win 7

13) IDC

14) No

15) As soon as I get responses

16) 4+ years

17) IDK

18) No

Notebook Prophet

Default Re: Best laptop for streaming video?

Look at the Dell XPS 15

Make sure you get the 1920x1080 B+RGLED display upgrade. The stock 1366x768 display is terrible quality, and the 1366x768 resolution won't let you fit much stuff onscreen. The 1920x1080 B+RGLED display is one of the best quality screens available, and the 1920x1080 resolution opens up the possibility for side-by-side windows and it reduces your scrolling.

Link: Dell XPS 15 Laptop Details | Dell

Either:
    - Base off the $799 model, and add the 1920x1080 B+RGLED display upgrade (demonstrated here)
    - Or base off the $1099 model which includes the 1080p display upgrade as well as a quad-core i7-2630QM processor, a 2-year warranty, and a Blu-ray drive (for cheaper than it costs to add the upgrades to the $799 model) - Don't accidentally switch to the multi-touch 1366x768 display, Dell tries to scam you by highlighting it and branding it "Dell Recommended". Don't fall into that.

Then consider the backlit keyboard upgrade. It helps if you want to try using the laptop in the dark, and as a bonus the markings don't wear off as easily.
    Afterwards, use the coupon code 932N$0ZCCHWZB9 to knock off an extra $100.

You won't need the i7-2630QM processor upgrade at all for your usage, but keep in mind: if you were to get the screen upgrade (required) and the 2-year warranty upgrade, it would be only $20 more to get the $1099 model which includes those upgrades plus a CPU upgrade and a blu-ray drive.

Don't add upgrades you don't need. The screen upgrade will make an immediate difference, as will the backlit keyboard upgrade, but the CPU won't and neither will the GPU upgrade (because you're not a gamer).

Note: never buy the Dell XPS 15 without the 1920x1080 B+RGLED display upgrade. The screen upgrade makes significantly more of a difference than any other upgrade, especially when it comes to the XPS 15. You can also think of it this way: I'm recommending you the XPS 15 with the 1920x1080 display upgrade as a whole package, I'm not just recommending the XPS 15 in general, because the XPS 15 isn't a good computer unless you've got the 1080p screen upgrade.

The main features of this laptop that make it one of the best options for video watching are:
    - great quality screen (provided you get the 1920x1080 display upgrade)
    - just about the best audio quality you can get in a laptop.
    Last edited by edit1754; 21st August 2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Dell Precision M4400 - 15.4" 1920x1200 RGBLED | Quadro 770M | QX9200 | 4GB | 500GB | 7 Pro

Default Re: Best laptop for streaming video?

Thank you! This is an extremely helpful recommendation. (Although, the coupon only took $75 off the price.)