Quantcast Lenovo ThinkPad or IdeaPad

Closed Thread

Gb Lenovo ThinkPad or IdeaPad

Hi guys,

Im looking for a laptop, a Lenovo. As far as I know, the main difference between both ThinkPad and IdeaPad is that the first is for bussiness and, consequently more secure and durable and the second is more the general public.

But the differences are very big. A IdeaPad with a i7 and 8GB RAM may cost 700-800$ and a ThinkPad, maybe 1300$. Is that difference worth? Should I buy a ThinkPad with less performance (700$) or an IdeaPad is still good? (I mean not that fragile)

1) What is your budget? 700-800$ MAX

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    14" would be OK if needed

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA. BestBuy/Lenovo Shop

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Lenovo. I would also accept Dell, but firstly Lenovo

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Software developing in Linux

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No. Maybe simple games but no.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

It doesnt matter. 2-3 its sufficient

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Maybe it would be good to see it or a similar to it (from same family). If you say the PC is ok I trust you So better to see it. If not, no problem

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Linux

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

Doesnt matter. I guess most of the PC are HD capable

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

Doesnt matter. Maybe for developing a matte one. Which would you choose for software dev.?

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes. although its not the most important thing.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Now, in a couple of days/this week

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

3-4 years (Does Ideapad last 3-4 perfectly? Or should i go with Thinkpad?)

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

Doesnt matter. 10 GB its ok for my needs

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    CDRW/DVD-Rom with burn capabilities

Thanks a lot in advance. My situation is: is thinkpad security/durability worth for its price? Is Ideapad enough in security/durability?

I looked to Lenovo IdeaPad V570, which seemed good, and also looked to this deals:

Lenovo - ThinkPad laptops - T Series

Regards! Thanks very much guys!

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Lenovo ThinkPad or IdeaPad

The IdeaPad will probably fit your needs, but if the notebook is going to be moved around a lot I would recommend the Thinkpad. It will be more durable and last longer over time.
    Compaq Evo N620c 1.6Ghz Pentium M/1.5GB RAM/60GB HD/DVD-CDRW/W200 WLAN/32MB ATI Radeon 7500/14.1" SXGA+ CTFT/WinXP Pro (Personal machine)

Dell Latitude E6410 i5-560M/4GB RAM/250GB HDD/DVD-RW/Intel 6200 Wireless/512MB NVS3100M/14.1" WXGA+/Win 7 Pro x64 (new Personal machine)

Dell Latitude E6410 i5-560M/4GB RAM/160GB HDD/DVD-RW/Dell Wireless/Intel HD/14.1" WXGA/Win XP (work machine)

Notebook Prophet

If you get a Thinkpad T420/T520, be sure to get the 1600x900 display at least. Higher resolutions are a huge benefit to multitasking and productivity because they let you fit more onscreen at once. Resolution makes more of a difference than any other spec.

Whether or not they're "HD" is irrelevant, the only benefits a higher resolution gives you are: vastly increased usabilty of your computer, and often better image quality.

If you're doing software development, resolution is even more important. 1366x768 is a really low resolution to do any serious development work with, especially in IDEs, because you can barely fit any lines of code onscreen and barely any property windows. Try to avoid 1366x768 for software development, even if it means going slightly over-budget.

The upgrade to the 1600x900 display on each laptop is only $50 or so, so don't pass it up. Aside from increased durability, resolution upgrade options are one of the huge advantages of getting a Thinkpad over an IdeaPad.

And regarding an i7 and 8GB of RAM. Don't upgrade to the i7-2620M. It's a dual-core i7, about on-par with the i5-2520M in terms of performance, and not worth the upgrade cost. Only go up to the i5-2520M, or even stick with the i5-2410M or i3-2310M because sometimes you don't even notice the difference.

Regarding 8GB of RAM, it's usually cheaper to buy it yourself aftermarket. Buy the laptop with 2GB and upgrade it later. Upgrade the screen now, because it's difficult to upgrade that later, and makes far more of a difference for software development than RAM or the CPU. You can buy with 2GB then get an extra 2GB DIMM to put into the empty slot for $20, for 4GB total. Or you can get 2 DIMMS of 4GB to upgrade to 8GB, for $80.

Toshiba P50t - 15.6" 3840x2160 IGZO | Touch | AMD Radeon M265X

Thanks very much for your answer, Matt. I guess Im gonna buy a Thinkpad. I trust more it because the computer, although it will not be moved a lot, need to be durable.

Thanks a lot for helping! Regards!