Quantcast Toshiba vs Asus vs Sony

Closed Thread

Default Toshiba vs Asus vs Sony

Which is better out of Toshiba Qosmio X770, Asus G73 or 74 and Sony F series? I can't decide between the 3 and would appreciate your opinion. I prefer fan noise to be as low as possible.

Notebook Prophet

Default Re: Toshiba vs Asus vs Sony

The Qosmio has a craptacular screen. Toshiba ruined that laptop by cutting corners there, so it's certainly not one of the better gaming computers out there.

Fill out the form so we have a better idea of what you're looking for
    ### What Should I Buy FORM (Must Read Before Posting!) ###
    Toshiba P50t - 15.6" 3840x2160 IGZO | Touch | AMD Radeon M265X

Notebook Geek

The screen on the Toshiba isn't actually that bad. It seems that everyone thinks below 1080p is the worst thing ever, and it is a pretty permanent component that would be tough to upgrade, but it really is not that bad on the x770.

Notebook Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by bacnation View Post
    The screen on the Toshiba isn't actually that bad. It seems that everyone thinks below 1080p is the worst thing ever, and it is a pretty permanent component that would be tough to upgrade, but it really is not that bad on the x770.
    The X770 is a gaming laptop with a GTX 560M, and every other laptop in its tier has 1920x1080 (Sager NP8130/50/70, ASUS G-Series non-BB models, MSI G-Series, etc).

Relatively, yes, it's bad, and it severely gimps your ability to use the computer for productive tasks.

Notebook Geek

Well I guess we are entitled to our own opinions. If the screen is that big of a deal and it is in your price range, just go to the 3D model for the full res and higher refresh rate.

Notebook Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by bacnation View Post
    Well I guess we are entitled to our own opinions. If the screen is that big of a deal and it is in your price range, just go to the 3D model for the full res and higher refresh rate.
    but then you lose Optimus, which is the only real selling point of that model. Then there's little reason not to get a Sager or an ASUS unless you're really set on the looks of the Toshiba.

Notebook Geek

It has the best speakers if thats important, and out of the models listed originally, even though the Qosmio has a 1600x900 screen, I would still prefer it to the Vaio F since that model comes with the 540m which is much less capable than the 560m. The ASUS laptops should be relatively huge, while none of these laptops are small, the two ASUS models would likely be the hardest to transport around.

Notebook Prophet

The Sager NP8130 is the easiest to carry around, has the exact same amount of performance, a cheaper price tag than any of the other gamers (except for some of the ASUS G53's), has the best screens out of the gaming laptops, and has the best build quality.

Link: Sager NP8130 (Built on Clevo P151HM1) XOTIC PC

Scroll down and select an OS, and that's all you really need to do. It comes out to $1260.

And you generally shouldn't sacrifice the screen for speakers. You use the screen a lot more, and if you want good speakers there's an MSI gaming laptop with good speakers as well.

Thanks for all of your replies. I've never heard of sager before. How good are they compared with the others in terms of build quality, fan noise in idle and high loading, case temp under conditions stated previously, screen quality, optimus ability in graphic card. And what is minimum ram need?

Shiny

The Asus G74 is very well-regarded for low noise under load. At idle, it's not quite as quiet as the G73 was, but still reasonably quiet. I have to say, having looked at the G73 and the G74 and the Vaio F22 back-to-back-to-back today, I was most impressed with the G74, then the F22, then the G73. The G74 was generally awesome. Great keyboard, great build quality, and I like knowing that a machine is built around the cooling system. The F22 was nice, but neither the screen nor the keyboard quite lived up to the hype IMO, and the touchpad was really annoying. Plus, it's got a relatively unimpressive GPU. The G73 was a step behind the other two in overall build quality (the generational jump from G73 to G74 seems to really matter), and two steps behind the other two in keyboard feel (it was like typing in mud).
    Modern UI ("metro") tutorial; setting up Windows 8.1 for non-touchscreen devices

ThinkPad T440p (14" 1080p, Windows 7 Pro). Work-issued.
    VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.