Quantcast Powerful laptop for Game Design and Gaming

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Powerful laptop for Game Design and Gaming

Hello, people!

I have been "lurking" NBR forums for over 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to register for an account. Knowing how helpful and experienced most of you folks are here, I would like to ask for an advice for a laptop. I need powerful and portable laptop for Game Design studies in University, which I am going to start this year. I will also do quite some gaming on it.

My University requires me to have a laptop with at least these specs:

> RAM: Minimum 2GB; 3GB recommended

> Graphics card: nVidia 9800M GTX / ATI radeon 4850, or similar with support for DX10 and shader model 4.0 (or newer) with at least 512MB graphics memory

> Processor: Dual or Quad core is recommended.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

1000$ - 1500$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

In Norway. Considering importing from another country, if I would happen to get a good deal.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Any...
    b. Dislike: ...except for Apple

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Game design; 3D CAD programs; Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I will be taking it to university everyday, so it has to be light and easy to carry around.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes, I will do quite a bit of gaming. Can't think of any games now...

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

At least 2+ hours.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Buying blindly is okay for me.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows 7

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

1600x900 to 1920x1080

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

I have no preference.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Somewhat, but not terribly important. Build quality is important, though.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

In the next couple of months.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

3+ years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

More than 250GB, I suppose. SSD is not a priority now.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Not necessarily.

Phew. Done. I hope this would give you an idea on what I want.

Thank you people. I would really appreciate for helping me out

Notebook Prophet

Default Re: Powerful laptop for Game Design and Gaming

If you can get a notebook with the AMD FirePro 5950, that would be a great choice for CAD/modeling. Since the GPU is based on the Radeon Mobility 5870, it's also surprisingly good at gaming. The NVIDIA alternative is the Quadro 2000M. It's more expensive, though, so if you can get the FirePro, go with that.

Check out the Dell Precision line of mobile workstations.

MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
    Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | Between SSDs at the moment | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 7

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
    If you can get a notebook with the AMD FirePro 5950, that would be a great choice for CAD/modeling. Since the GPU is based on the Radeon Mobility 5870, it's also surprisingly good at gaming. The NVIDIA alternative is the Quadro 2000M. It's more expensive, though, so if you can get the FirePro, go with that.

Check out the Dell Precision line of mobile workstations.
    Thanks for your input!

Dell Precision laptops sure are amazing (in terms of quality and performance), but the prices are insanely high - way out of my price range. If I was made out of money, I would buy that with no questions asked

that one guy

Fortunately, unless you go back in time to 2008, you won't have a hard time finding a machine that blows those specs away.

Check out the Sager NP8130. I think it's right in your wheelhouse pricewise, and should work if GeForce and Radeon GPUs are acceptable. It's a little on the beefy side for a 15 inch, but you shouldn't have issues lugging it around.
    Apple MacBook Air, late 2010

Desktop
    i5-3570K | 2GB GTX 670 OC | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | 180GB SSD | Dell U2312HM | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G13 | Logitech G600/G400+Razer Kabuto | Logitech G35
    Currently playing: World of Warcraft (DK/Warrior/Mage) | Battlefield 3 (ID: swaggatron3000)

Notebook Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by Radishface View Post
    Dell Precision laptops sure are amazing (in terms of quality and performance), but the prices are insanely high - way out of my price range. If I was made out of money, I would buy that with no questions asked
    Would Sager or Clevo be a possibility? Not sure what the technology scene is in your neck of the woods. Tell us what brands are readily available, and we can point you in the right direction from there.

Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | Between SSDs at the moment | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 7

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
    Fortunately, unless you go back in time to 2008, you won't have a hard time finding a machine that blows those specs away.

Check out the Sager NP8130. I think it's right in your wheelhouse pricewise, and should work if GeForce and Radeon GPUs are acceptable. It's a little on the beefy side for a 15 inch, but you shouldn't have issues lugging it around.
    Sagers do get recommended quite often on these forums. However, I am still uneasy about the importing it all the way from U.S. to Norway, due to taxes and shipping costs. That is STILL a possibility, if I won't be able to find a better laptop.

that one guy

Quote Originally Posted by Radishface View Post
    Sagers do get recommended quite often on these forums. However, I am still uneasy about the importing it all the way from U.S. to Norway, due to taxes and shipping costs. That is STILL a possibility, if I won't be able to find a better laptop.
    What brands would you not have to import?
    Apple MacBook Air, late 2010

Desktop
    i5-3570K | 2GB GTX 670 OC | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | 180GB SSD | Dell U2312HM | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G13 | Logitech G600/G400+Razer Kabuto | Logitech G35
    Currently playing: World of Warcraft (DK/Warrior/Mage) | Battlefield 3 (ID: swaggatron3000)

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
    Would Sager or Clevo be a possibility? Not sure what the technology scene is in your neck of the woods. Tell us what brands are readily available, and we can point you in the right direction from there.
    We do have a Norwegian reseller which specializes in Clevo base notebooks, though their prices are a little steep. Other more well-know brands are already available here obviously.

I have narrowed down my search, in order to give you some guidance, guys. Here are my options:

• Dell XPS 15 with Full HD screen
    • HP DV6 (though, we have no Full HD screen option here)
    • Alienware M14X
    • Acer 3830TG (would be terrific if not the throttling issues)
    • Sager NP8150 (great laptop, but I am very uneasy about import)

Hope this helps

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
    What brands would you not have to import?
    I would say Sager, as all other brands are available for purchase here already. Still on the fence on that one...

Notebook Prophet

If you can't get the DV6 with a FHD screen, scrap it. 1366x768 looks pretty awful in a 15-inch system. The XPS 15 would work, as its screen is quite good quality. The M14x would be OK, too. Its GPU is more powerful than the one in the XPS so it would be a bit more future-proof.

The Sager would offer you the most bang for your buck, but if you're not keen on importing, that's fine. It would probably be easier for you to obtain service on a Dell/Alienware, too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast