Quantcast Samsung or Toshiba Laptop?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Samsung or Toshiba Laptop?

hi

I'm searching for a good laptop, after a LOT of research i put my eyes on these laptops, they have almost the same specs:

HP Pavilion DV6T DV6TQE (ATI HD 6770)
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y560P (ATI HD 6570)
    Satellite A665-S5183X (NVIDIA GT 540M)
    SAMSUNG RF711-S02 (NVIDIA GT 540M)

all with core i7, the last two have a second generation cpu (sandy bridge) and they're faster.

as for the HP "Pavilions" i've been told that it has some heating issues, the lenovo is good and it has a great sound system (JBL), haven't tried a lenovo laptop so i'm a bit worried.

now i'm thinking of these two:

Satellite A665-S5183X
    SAMSUNG RF711-S02

differences:
    Samsung - Toshiba
    screen: 17.3" - 15.6"
    HDD: 750GB - 500GB
    Resolution: 1600 x 900 - 1366 x 768
    Memory: 4GB - 6GB
    Weight: 2.8KG - 2.3KG
    Bluetooth: Yes - No

The samsung is a little bit better in some specs -higher resolution and bigger hdd capacity- but toshiba is better in memory and speakers (which is very important to me, since i'm a hard rock fan ). i'm not sure that toshiba has the better speakers but i need to make sure that the speakers of samsung is as good as toshiba's in clarity and bass. one thing i don't like about the samsung laptop, the screen size is somewhat big.

so what do you think?
    thanks in advance

Overthinking? Always!

Default Re: Samsung or Toshiba Laptop?

I would go for the dv6, and never heard of heat issues on the new dv6 line, the gpu is much better than what is being offered

Notebook Prophet

Consider these Sagers:

Sager NP5160 Custom Laptop (Built on the Clevo W150HN) - GT 540M, 15.6" 1600x900 or 1920x1080
    Sager NP5165 - GT 555M, 15.6" 1920x1080
    Sager NP8130 (Built on Clevo P151HM1) Custom Sager Laptop - GTX 460M, 15.6" 1920x1080

With these Sagers you get higher resolutions in the same screen size which is a huge plus.
    I'd suggest getting the thermal compound upgrade, and be sure to scroll down to the bottom and add +$90 for Windows 7 Home Premium or else it won't come with an OS.

Do you need the laptop for gaming? or multimedia? For gaming I'd take the Sager NP5165 or NP8130.

With the HP you'll be sacrificing screen resolution which benefits almost everything you could possibly do with a laptop, just for a gain in performance that only affects games. The NP5165's graphics card is a bit less powerful than the one in the HP, but you get a FHD screen. The NP8130's graphisc card is more powerful but you'll only get in the ~3 hour range in battery life rather than the ~5 hour range.

If you're in the market for a great multimedia and moderate gaming notebook, take a look at the Dell XPS 15.
    XPS 15 - Intel Core i7 Laptop for High-Octane Entertainment | Dell
    There is one very important thing to pay attention to on this laptop: You must get the 1920x1080 B+RGLED screen upgrade. Not just because of the resolution, but because while this particular laptop's 1920x1080 B+RG screen is by far one of the best screens you can get on a notebook in this price range, the standard 1366x768 (non-upgraded screen) is awful and devoid of color. I've seen it myself, and many people on this forum who bought the laptop without upgrading the screen reviewed the 720p screen very poorly.

The XPS 15 has some of the best speakers available and one of the best screens currently available in a consumer-class notebook (be sure to get the 1080p upgrade).
    The Sager NP5160 and NP5165's speakers aren't too great though.
    My suggestion: take the $1099 model on the link above which includes the 1080p screen, an i7 processor, BluRay, and a 2-year warranty,.. add the 540M graphics card if you can budget for it and require the computer for gaming, then apply the coupon code 0QZNX8B2J326BZ at checkout to save $100. That coupon code is set to expire soon though, but this $70-off coupon: 932N$0ZCCHWZB9 is set to last until the end of the month.

if that ends up being too expensive, base off of the $799 model and add the 1080p screen first thing, then add whatever other upgrades fit into your price range. You can also downgrade to the basic service plan if you need to save an additional $55.
    Dell Precision M4400 - 15.4" 1920x1200 RGBLED | Quadro 770M | QX9200 | 4GB | 500GB | 7 Pro

Notebook Enthusiast

Mr MM thank you bro

edit1754 thanks a lot man i appreciate your help, but i wanted an answer between the two (samsung & toshiba). dell is great and sound system is awesome (JBL) but it's more expensive despite it has the exact same specs. as for the resolution, i'll be fine with 1600 x 900 or even 1366x768 because i'll rarely plug it into my big samsung screen.
    "my usage: graphic design & video editing e.g. After effects, photoshop.. gaming e.g. black ops, battlefield bad company 2 "

Notebook Geek

I would go with a Toshiba as i have 3 in my house and they have all ran very good The oldest one i have is a Satellite 5 years old and i have 2 year old portege and this year i bought a qosmio my little brother has a samsung and its been a pain for him. Overall im telling u hand down you will get more bang for your buck going Toshiba. They are also very very quiet notebooks! My little brother said is that running?

I do have 2 46in led Samsung tvs but thats about all the more Samsung i will buy.

Toshiba has good support to sometimes i just ask them question i know the answer to and they are quick to respond.

OFF TOPIC:
    One time i waited on the phone for 4hrs will dell and alienware to get hung up on!

Notebook Enthusiast

thanks caskey, maybe i'll go for the Toshiba, the speakers is one of the main reasons.
    samsung is a really good company, i have 3 LCDs & i'm happy with 'em. and i'm currently using a samsung laptop, bought it two years ago and it does the job with no single problem (i'm not advertising lol).

forgot to mention, i was aiming at the Qomsio X505-Q894 but it's too heavy (nearly 5kg!!)

Overthinking? Always!

there is the e420s which apparently left people baffled even without a subwoofer, its a dolby certified speakers

Notebook Enthusiast

aha it's a lenovo. thanks for the info ^^

Notebook Enthusiast

I'd go with Toshiba, Samsung is too new in the laptop industry and it takes time to build credibility.

Notebook Enthusiast

hi pinksick,
    Samsung has greatly improved in the last years and it has high credibility & high quality products, i say that by experience.. the only thing that i liked about toshiba is speakers. if samsung has smiliar sound quality i would go for it no doubt. thanks for your reply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast