Quantcast Touchpad vs Pointing Stick

Closed Thread

Default Touchpad vs Pointing Stick

Why is such an inferior device (touchpad) so much more pouplar than the pointing stick (Accupoint for toshiba)?

The pointing stick doesn't require a user's hands to move from the keyboard. The touchpad can't be used properly without doing so. The only disadvantage of the pointing stick is having to replace the rubber covers occasionally. But it's worth it when you realize you can type and 'mouse' without moving your hands all over the place.

Notebook Retailer

Default Re: Touchpad vs Pointing Stick

I do not agree with that one. I have tried to work with a pointing stick and I just cant do it. The touchpad gives you more accuracy I think. With a pointing stick I always miss what I want to click on.

Charlie-Peru

i dont own any of both, but my brother has an old toshiba (read: about 5yrs old if not more) and he has one of those green dot things int he middle of his keyboard. my first experience was that its not as easy to work with as the pad.
    however maybe if you get used to it, like my brother did, its quite easy.
    then again i cant be of much opinion since i barely ever use a laptop (dont own one atm).

the problem with the toshiba is that the mouse buttons on the laptop were too far down, so he had to move his hand down anyway. but i assume toshiba fixed that by now

regards, proma

If the buttons are so far down that you have to move your hand anyway that's a shame.

If you can't use the stick effectively you probably just need some practice. It's not as easy as the touchpad at first. Hmm....that's probably why they're not too popular. People will use something easy and less effective rather than spend some time learning to use something that's more effective.

I hope pointing sticks don't disappear alltogether. My next laptop purchase will have two main requirements: 15" screen, and pointing stick. Other than that, I'm happy. I find even basic laptops are more than powerful enough for most applications. The only time in my life that I was looking for the most powerful systems possible was when I was heavily into GAMING. I don't like widescreen simply because it's just too big. And I find widescreen laptops have an overall huge look to them. I don't want that on my lap. I have a big screen t.v. for movies and games now.

Notebook Deity

You also can't double click the nub like you can the touchpad...I prefer the later.
    Hold on to the thread - the Currents will shift...

indeed. if i trust my brother he sais the pointing stick is a piece of cake for him now. he is so used to it he wont even attach a mouse to his laptop, or he never wants anything with a mouse or pad anymore.
    but like i said i barely ever use the thing, and when i do the pointer drives me mad. just like hitmain said, i dont hit anything, i miss em all.

then again. my gaming configs with ultra-sensitive mouse allso get most ppl to say it drives them mad and its impossible to play with. but 2 of my friends allready got used to it after i asked em to try it, so i guess everything is a matter of investing time in it and getting used to it, rather then expecting to be able to do it right from the start

regards, proma

I love the pointing stick (TrackPoint in my ThinkPad) and I think it is better. Somethimes I'm so used to it that start to navigate the cursor with it, though I have attached my wireless mouse.

Think about having both (almost all new IBM ThinkPad had UltraNav = TouchPad + TrackPoint)

For the record:

You don't click the nub, you click a button beneath the spacebar with your thumb. The nub and button can be used simultaneously without moving the hands from the home row.