Quantcast ASUS vs. Samsung laptops ?

Closed Thread

Default ASUS vs. Samsung laptops ?

Short version: who makes the most reliable laptops, Asus or Samsung?

I'm basically trying to decide between the Asus U43-BBA5 and a Samsung laptop with similar specs.

I've bought the Asus already but am having second thoughts - would a Samsung be better? Anything out there better than a Samsung with a low price range ($600-800)? I've included the models I'm considering, but other suggestions would be great.

I'm not planning on doing anything intensive - at most some minimal photo/video editing - but I want a quicker processor that will last long. My biggest concern is reliability and durability, as I'm planning on using this laptop until it dies on me.

I'm thinking of going with the Samsung NP-R480-JAB1US instead, since it's cheaper. The specs aren't as good as the Asus, but wouldn't the Samsung be sufficient? I know Asus is supposed to be reliable, but Samsung laptops seem to get really good reviews as well.

What would you recommend? I would really appreciate advice, as I am a total computer noob. Please help me choose, and sorry this is 10 pages long to read. Thanks in advance!

(FAQ below)

-----

Can't find the BBA5 online, but the BBA7 is close enough. The BBA5 has an Intel Core i5-450M 2.4 GHz processor and the BBA7 is Intel i5 at 3 GHz.

Asus U43F-BBA7

Asus - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive - Dark Bamboo - U43F-BBA7

Samsung NP-R480-JAB1US

Samsung - Laptop with Intel® Core™ i3 Processor - Red/Black - NP-R480-JAB1US

Samsung Q430-11

Samsung - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Black Aluminum - Q430-11

-----

FAQ:

1) What is your budget?

$500-800 (/900)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

14-inch (but 15.6 would do)

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Leaning toward ASUS but never used one before. Also considering Samsung, but know very little about their reliability.

b. Dislike: Anything unreliable. I would also prefer not to buy from Acer, Gateway, HP, Sony or Toshiba (can't count how many times my Satellite's crashed on me).

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Lots of Internet, basic office tasks, streaming movies and music, infrequent photo/video editing. Nothing very intensive, but I need something that runs smoothly, quickly and reliably. I'd also like something quiet that doesn't easily overheat.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both - will try to use it mostly at home but I need something that won't wear down more quickly because I carry it around. I would really prefer something light(er), though.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

At least 2 hours is fine; battery life isn't a big concern.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Absolutely; I'd like to see the keyboard first (preferably nothing with a number pad on the side). I type a LOT and it's important that I have a comfortable keyboard to work on. Also would like to make sure the build is sturdy/not too heavy in person, but design doesn't matter much.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows 7 or XP

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?

Uh, I know very little about screen resolutions. I will, however, be watching movies frequently so a better resolution would be preferable.

* Midrange Resolutions: WXGA+, HD+, 900p
    * Actual resolutions: 1440x900 and 1600x900
    * Offered on all Notebooks. Keep in mind text will be very small on a 12" WXGA+ notebook.
    * A set of in-between resolution options that are found on some machines. Considered base resolution on 17" inch and higher laptops. Text and icons are smaller than standard resolution screens, and more windows fit onto the screen. These resolutions are very good for working with multiple windows side-by-side, without having to overlap them.
    * Maximum Resolutions: WSXGA+, WUXGA, FHD, 1080p
    * Actual resolutions: 1680x1050, 1920x1200 and 1920x1080
    * Offered on Notebook 15" and larger
    * On these screens text and icons will be very small. Text can often be hard to read, though some do like it. A very large number of windows fit on the screen, and there will be little need to overlap any of them. Max resolution screens are good for applications that require high detail (CAD, graphics editing, etc.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Either is fine.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not at all, unless the design affects portability/general computer quality.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

ASAP. I need it immediately.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

As long as possible, between 3-5 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

500 - 640 GB, don't need an SSD drive.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Yes, at the very least a CD/DVD-ROM. DVD Burner and Blu-Ray aren't necessary for me.
    Last edited by rififi; 17th October 2010 at 06:28 AM.

Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Default Re: ASUS vs. Samsung laptops ?

I have never had an Asus notebook, but i have had a couple of Samsung and they run cool and quiet even at max performance and with a build quality you cannot fault, not a lot of people have Samsung`s on this forum though the Samsung thread is a little quite, it would be great to have another Samsung owner
    DON`T BLAME ME IF YOUR NOTEBOOK BLOWS UP WHILE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE, IT`S PURELY VOLUNTARY

HP Envy Rove 20-k000ea 20 inch Mobile AIO desktop PC - Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 512GB SSD SLC Enterprise Grade

Notebook Deity

The problem with Samsung in North America is that it gets low visibility due to it's marketing desicions.Samsung has not been very aggresive in this market(maybe it's not that profitable for them).In the rest of the world whem it comes to notebooks is highly respected and regarded as a maker of high quality products.In every market research conducted up to now Samsung has scored very high in terms of quality and reliability.I happen to like Asus and I don't have a Samsung but if I was in your shoes I would get the Samsung.I am a fan of the theory that we should reward and trust the products that have worked for us in the past.
    Last edited by thundernet; 17th October 2010 at 08:06 AM.
    Acer 3820TG-13.3"-i5 450M-ATI 5650-4GB DDR3-500GB HDD-Intel 6300
    Acer 1810TZ-11.6"- SU4100 1.3GHz -4GB RAM -500GB HDD -X4500MHD

Thanks both for the replies -

Is there a big difference between the i3 and i5 processors? The Asus is 2.4 Ghz / 640 GB and the Samsung is 2.13 Ghz / 500 GB. I paid about $140 more for the Asus than I would for the Samsung - is it worth it?

I think the Samsung laptop is probably better suited for what I need, but I think the Asus would last longer. Anyone know which is less likely to cause problems down the line?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rififi View Post
    Thanks both for the replies -

Is there a big difference between the i3 and i5 processors? The Asus is 2.4 Ghz / 640 GB and the Samsung is 2.13 Ghz / 500 GB. I paid about $140 more for the Asus than I would for the Samsung - is it worth it?

I think the Samsung laptop is probably better suited for what I need, but I think the Asus would last longer. Anyone know which is less likely to cause problems down the line?
    I don't think for your needs is nessecary to pay the extra $140 for the Asus.In real life use the difference of i3 and i5 won't be noticable by you.I think is impossible to know which one might cause problems most likely.Quality wise they both seem very good.
    Acer 3820TG-13.3"-i5 450M-ATI 5650-4GB DDR3-500GB HDD-Intel 6300
    Acer 1810TZ-11.6"- SU4100 1.3GHz -4GB RAM -500GB HDD -X4500MHD