Quantcast Is there a laptop on this planet that will last 10 years? - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Merica

Default Re: Is there a laptop on this planet that will last 10 years?

I remember Grid (Tandy Co.) laptops as being the most rugged laptops I had ever seen back in the early 90's. I used to service them and I remember the sales reps would brag about how part of the demo to the customer they WOULD THROW their laptops in their trunk or drop it on top of the desk. Those things were tanks but so were the first gen ThinkPads.

Notebook Enthusiast

It doesn't matter whether it physically lasts -- whatever you want to do in 2019, a computer from 2010 probably won't do it too well. A computer from 2013 might not even do it well, but 2019 software is definitely not going to be designed to run on a 2010 computer.

My dad has a 10-year-old Dell Inspiron 5000 that still runs (or at least did the last time we tried), though it's got a crack in the plastic casing. I don't remember the original price but it was certainly north of $3,000. A $300 netbook in 2010 is vastly more powerful. Specs here. It's got a 450 MHz PIII, 192MB RAM ... I don't remember the HDD size but I guess it must have been between 6 and 18 GB. A 4200rpm drive, mind you. And 4 or 8 MB of VRAM. Oh and his has the optional modem and NIC! About the only thing about it that isn't totally hopeless by today's standards is the SXGA+ display.

Notebook Evangelist

You should like. Take a colorimeter and measure that display's specs. I've been wondering how they used to make them. I've had a ton of old computers but for some reason I can't remember colors as vividly as other things. I bet the displays were terrible

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeah, I should have been clearer. The resolution is pretty good by today's standards. I doubt it's too great in any other respect, and while I doubt it was that bright in 2000, I'm sure the backlighting has dimmed since then ... though it hasn't been used for a very long time.

I wouldn't have thought my colorimeter would work with Windows 2000, but it allegedly does ... hmm, maybe an interesting exercise sometime!

The oldest computer I know of that is still running is also my dad's, an IBM Aptiva from 1997. IIRC it's a 166MHz Pentium Classic, 16 MB RAM, 2 GB HDD ... still useful for running legacy DOS software (!), but at long last, should be rendered totally unnecessary by the end of the year. Of course, it is not a notebook, though it is amazing the 13-year-old HDD still works.

Purveyor of Truth

i have a T40 from 2003 that is still ticking along right now. So i guess 10 years is feasible, but you would definitely upgrade to something else within say 6 years, as by then the applications you want to run would need a faster hardware.

Hardware may last 10 years, but whether you are going to use it for 10 years full time, is another question. If you are intending to keep your hardware for 10 years, you probably should look at the fully rugged Panasonic Toughbook.
    WIN A LENOVO YOGA FROM THINKSCOPES

Microsoft MVP & Lenovo Global Brand Ambassador

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0 View Post
    He didn't indicate that he "needed" a notebook now since he has a Vista desktop. His need is for college in 3 years. Why would he buy now?
    Umm...Because it's nice to have something portable. Especially nowadays. Sounds like he's at least thinking about it. So why wait. There's no answer you can give that makes sense unless of course he's penniless and living on the street.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0 View Post
    He didn't indicate that he "needed" a notebook now since he has a Vista desktop. His need is for college in 3 years. Why would he buy now?
    I agree. I have had desktops all of my life and just convinced myself I needed to purchase a laptop. Until he leaves for school, he does not need a laptop. Hell I've been out of college for four years and like I said just this year justified buying a laptop.

I agree with others who have said that five years is a reasonable amount of time to want to use a laptop for day to day tasks. Beyond that, it's quickly becoming obsolete with supporting current software...
    Sony VAIO SR590 CTO 13.3"
    Core 2 Duo T9600 | 8GB DDR2 | 128GB 840 Pro SDD | Radeon HD 4570 | Blu-ray burner | Win 7 Pro x64

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by jadedpony View Post
    I agree. I have had desktops all of my life and just convinced myself I needed to purchase a laptop. Until he leaves for school, he does not need a laptop. Hell I've been out of college for four years and like I said just this year justified buying a laptop.

I agree with others who have said that five years is a reasonable amount of time to want to use a laptop for day to day tasks. Beyond that, it's quickly becoming obsolete with supporting current software...
    Who says he needed one. You don't need to shower every day, make love, or eat ice cream once in a while, yet it can be quite pleasant, yes? Obviously the guy is semi-interested in one at this point or he wouldn't of posted. And nowadays you can have a 2nd hand decent notebook for <$300 that'll run circles around most any software excepting games and hi end apps. There's no reason to wait and deprive yourself of portability for 3 years when they're that cheap. This is 2010, not 1980.

Get yourself a notebook. 3 years from now you'll look back and be glad you did.

Notebook Enthusiast

If he can find exactly what he wants, I agree with you buy it now. But if his desktop can hold him over, he can wait and save up until he can buy exactly what he wants.

I'm assuming from his first post that he's on a limited budget since he wants it to last for 10 years so yeah, if he waited, he would be that much closer to making it all of the way out of school...

Funny part is, that's his only post and the rest of us have been chatting it up not knowing any of his other thoughts...
    Sony VAIO SR590 CTO 13.3"
    Core 2 Duo T9600 | 8GB DDR2 | 128GB 840 Pro SDD | Radeon HD 4570 | Blu-ray burner | Win 7 Pro x64

Notebook Deity

Maybe if you buy a fully maxed out Mac desktop for 24 000 euros it will last you for 10 years. Even for a desktop thats quite unrealistic, let alone notebooks. Lets face the facts: once you're above the 1000 euro price tag you pay exponentially higher prices for marginal performance increases.

It would be more cost efficient to buy a new laptop for +-800€ every 2-3 years than buying a 2000€ laptop today which would be outdated in a few years anyway. Don't forget if you will use your laptop in school everyday, opening and closing it multiple times a day, carrying it around which will unavoidably give schocks to it, and so on, it will wear down no matter what.

So if you want to have a decent laptop over a timespan of 10 years, imo it would be better to spread your budget over several notebooks instead of investing all that money in 1 system.
    Old forum name: Student@antwerp2009
    Laptop: Acer Aspire 5920G: 2.5 Ghz core 2 duo t9300, 3 gigs of 667 mhz ddr2 ram, 500gb WD Scorpio Black,Ati HD 4670
    Desktop: Intel i5 4670k, 8gb 1600 mhz ram, 2tb hdd, msi gtx760

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast