Quantcast Hp Envy vs. Sony Vaio

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Se Hp Envy vs. Sony Vaio

Hi,

I cant decide if I should get the Hp Envy 17 or the Sony VAIO f-series.
    The thing is that in Sweden, you cant costumize your Sony or Envy as you want it. Im stuck with the models that HP and Sony has released here.

But the specs for the laptops that I have found is these:

HP Envy 17-1085eo Pricetag: ~2029$

Intel Core i7 720QM 1,6 GHz
    Radeon HD 5850 1024 MB DDR5
    6 GB RAM SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz
    500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA
    1920 x 1080 Radience (spelling? ) screen
    No Bluray

Sony VAIO VPCF12S1E/B Pricetag: Same as the 17-1085eo

Intel® Core™ i7-740QM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M - 1024 MB DDR3
    6 GB RAM SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz
    500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA
    BluRay-reader

These are the ones that I really like, but there is some problems. To me it feels like the HP Envy is more "modern" than the VAIO. Since it has the USB 3.0 and the option to connect 3 screens to it. And I really like the design of the Envy.

But it doesnt have BluRay (I cant decide if i really need that) and then there is the heat problems with the Envy. But the GPU is alot better with the Envy.

So I have these problems, its a battle between GPU vs BluRay and no problems with heat.

There is another model of the Envy 17 to in Sweden that features a BluRay reader, 1 TB of HDD and 8GB of RAM, but I dont need 8 GB and 1TB of hdd. And I have to pay another 600$ just to get the BluRay reader. And for that price I can get a VAIO with 8GB of RAM and BluRay burner. But then the pricetag is getting a bit big.

So what do you guys think I should get. The ENVY or Vaio?

//Oscar Hvarfvén

Requires more Witcher.

Default Re: Hp Envy vs. Sony Vaio

Both are pretty solid machines. Either way you go, you'll probably be pleased.
    As far as track records are concerned, Sony has HP beat. Sony makes some very well built machines. But I've heard many glowing reviews of the Envy, so it's really a tossup. You're getting a Blu-Ray reader, better processor, and a good track record, vs. USB 3.0, better GPU, ect. What is the main use of the machine? Gaming?
    Fe, Fi, Forum.
    ASUS G73JH
    Core i7-720QM | 6 GB RAM [x3 2GB Kingston] | 500 GB Seagate Momentus | ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | Logitech G9x | 1600x900
    HP Elitebook 8540p
    Current Smartphones: iPhone 4S(personal), iPhone 4 16GB, Google Nexus S 4G, Samsung Focus, Motorola Droid2Global
    Want an ASUS userbar? Click me!

Notebook Enthusiast

Its everyday use, some photoshopping with my pictures and maybe some gaming and then a little bit as multimedia machine. (Thats why im thinking about the bluray bit). And then there is some stuff like backlit keyboard on the Envy and not on the Vaio. So there is some small stuff like that and Im having a really hard time choosing here

Notebook Enthusiast

I think I will be going for the Vaio since I dont want the terrible heatprob that so many are having with the Envy. And the Vaio seems to be running very cool to be a quad i7 and thats more important to me than having a better GPU.

I guess the GPU in the Envy has it share in the heat problem aswell, from the rewievs I have seen on the F-series there is still possibility to play some games on it, even though you may have to go down to med i quality.

Does anybody know something else of interest in this case? Plz help me cuz im not totally sure about this right know

Notebook Consultant

Considering the options, i would go for Vaio.

But at that price range let me throw in macbookpro 15 i7 version in the mix aswell, that is if you like OSX and not adamant on getting Win 7.

There are many pro's of macbookpro
    It has i7 620 m which outperforms 720/740 QM in normal situations and considering your needs it would work better for you.
    Then there is BackLight keyboard. Very Good Track record.
    But all this would count for nothing if you dont want OSX.

Notebook Enthusiast

I dont know, I have never used a mac more than like ½ hour or something. So its a new world for me then But sure it would be cool to have a mac becus I use the iPhone 4 and various iPods alot. So in that case it would be a great thing to get, but i dont know if im ready to take the step and learn a whole new OS. I mean I have been using windows for ages so I know it pretty much inside out

But thanks for the tip, I will take it into my calculations

Notebook Enthusiast

I saw another thing right now, there is a nice pricetag on the MBP in Sweden. The 15" with i7 starts at ~3000$, so there is a big step in the wrong way But sure I love the design of the MBP and everything but they have a huge pricetag considering what you get in hardware (I know its the perfect computer, but still I have to pay for it) :P

Milk Drinker

If you are considering 15" laptops, I have had a great experience working with photoshop and creative suite apps, and no overheating issues with the Envy 15. It also has USB 3.0, a 1920x1080 display and a great GPU; however, if you want an optical drive, the only option is external. Also the battery life is quite short (heavy usage, 90 minutes, light usage 3-4 hours, and about triple the battery life if you use the slice battery).

As far as gaming goes, it can handle about any recent demanding 3D game at 1920x1080 resolution, all settings maxed, and get at least around 45-70FPS, perhaps double that. The only game I tried which dipped below 30FPS was Crysis Warhead.
    hp envy 15 (Dec 2009) | i7-820QM 1.73 GHz (3.06 GHz turbo) | 16GB 1333 MHz RAM | 320GB Dual Intel X18-M G2 SSD in Raid0 (2 x 160GB) | 1GB AMD 5830m | 1920x1080 Display | 14.96" x 9.6" x 1.04" | 5.17 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopNut View Post
    I will never give up on laptop gaming.

Notebook Enthusiast

That sounds good, but its really bad for me now Becus I was almost finished with the thoughts and getting a Vaio. But that report sounds good to, even if its not the Envy 17 its a model of Envy that had probs with heat if Im not totally wrong?

If its a 15 or up to 17 doesnt matter since, I will use it plugged in almost all the time when at home and when Im away and using the computer I dont really care what size the screen is (Within limits)

The res from gaming you got there sounded really good, so ill have to think about this again and dont take away the Envy so fast!

Notebook Enthusiast

But the thing Im really worried about are numbers like these, I mean if you run the laptop in this heat for some time something will fail soon. So Im sry to say that HP may have failed with the Envy 17 if the numbers like this keep coming!

I hope that there is any way that HP could fix these probs, but since it probably is a hardware problem they will have to fix it for the next gen Envy. And its not possible for me to wait that long

Thanks scrace89 for the pic!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast