Quantcast asus vs mac

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asus vs mac

Notebook Enthusiast

Default asus vs mac

hi, i'm trying to decide between an asus W2j and the new MBP 17 inch... i'll pay 50 bucks shipping on the asus so it'll be about 2850 and i'll get the educational discount on the mac so it'll be about 2999...the mac has a 2.16 ghz proc vs the asus 2.0, and the mac comes with a 7200 rmp hd and firewire and webcam....however, i've read that the previous mbp's had underclocked gpu's and don't know if this will be the casewith the 17...with a larger chassis maybe it won't be ....and i can always overclock...further, i'm not much of a gamer, more into movies and photoshop and such..i'm doing computer science at university and as such foresee doing a lot of programming in the future.....i'm also considering running linux and have posted about that in the linux forum.... otherwise, i'm wondering about how MBP's compare to asus' in terms of build quality, lifespan, components, etc..

however, i've never used a mac before and am familiar with windows... but i don't mind learning and will also probably be running bootcamp...one draw for me with the mac is that if i'm working in programming i can do co-op work at companies based around either mac or pc....so, any comments on the pros and cons of asus and mbp would be helpful.....i'm pretty set on one of these two as they offer the fast core duo procs and the large screen as well has nice build and aesthetic....but if there is another equivalent sleek and high quality CAN$3000 system out there let me know...

thanks

NBR Reviewer

Default Re: asus vs mac

i must say the Apple almost always wins now just due to the fact that you can run both of the top OS's, which for some people is fantastic but for other people is useless.

the W2 series is also so nice however so I thinki it really just becomes a choice of if you really need OSX or not. the Processor speed would not be noticable at all and 2.16 is uneccesarrily expensive unfortunately. The Asus is almost guaranteed to have a better looking screen simply because it is glossy, I think they way about the same and performance wise should be about the same. it is possible the Asus will run windows just very slightly better but windows looks to be running extremely well with bootcamp.

I think the Asus designis much more apealling. but I go to a school that is has a apple store and uses all apples computers so I get really tired of seeing everyone with the same **** laptop. helps inform Apples larger picture I think. haha sorry Apple :P

Build quality is irrelevent as they are both built well and maybe by the same manufacturer? not sure about that, lifespan should be equal, in terms of performance build etc. either is a **** fine choice.

I am considering a Windows/Apple in the future simply due to that fact (the dual booting greatness), but right now I would go for the Asus because I am used to the best screen in the world (Fujitsu YO!) and that would compare more to my screen.

Notebook Enthusiast

well, i've been surfing google and found out about a major problem with the mbp's emitting a very annoying whine....i'm not sure if this is still and issue and if they will fix it on the new 17's...

one thing i'm wondering about is the difference in resolution between the asus and the mbp...you say the screen is much better what with the crystal shine and all i guess, but the mbp is 1680x1050 whereas the w2j is 1280x800 ...

also, i agree that the w2j is more aesthetically pleasing....i love the sleek black look....

Notebook Evangelist

Any PC can run OSX. PC is still the undisputed champ when it comes to operating system flexablity- from all the Linuxs, to Windows XP/2000/98/XP 64/Vista to even OSX. If you can do computer science work, dual booting on the Asus is no problem.

It is total BS from Apple, that only their overpriced hardware can run OSX.
    Last edited by HomeSkillet; 25th April 2006 at 02:03 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

well, the mbp i priced is 150 bucks more than the w2j and it has .16ghz more(irrelevant i know), a 7200 rpm hd, and 1 stick of ram (i've heard rumours that the north america shipment of asus might have 2x512)....also, the mbp is more than one pound lighter and is half an inch thinner....and has a higher resolution screen...(however, this might not mean better quality viewing, as i asked about above).... i'm not so worried about running osx....i'm just trying to decide on the best 17 inch 3000 dollar core duo laptop....

the mbp is really not much more expensive and given all it's benefits 150 bucks isn't so much....

however, my question still stands and i'd like to hear about other peoples experiences with the two systems and which they preferred etc....

Notebook Enthusiast

also, i posted in the linux forum but it seems to get less traffic, does anyone know if there would be a major difference between the asus and the mbp in linux compatability.....?

Notebook Evangelist

Have you looked at the Sagars or dell M1710? Regardless of Dell's reputation when it comes to build quality, the M1710 is top of the line.

The nvidia 7800 or 7900 is going to give superior performance in Linux compared to ATI's offerings.

Notebook Enthusiast

that might be something to consider but i personally am not a big fan of the m1710 design...i want something a little sleeker....and i'm not a big gamer so that card might be overkill....how bout build wise...i always hear that dells are second rate?

Notebook Prophet

youre right the asus is better built. quite expensive. I really dont like the value on the model you chose

but it is well made.

I think toshiba p105 ir quiosmo is something similar to consider.

I think youre looking for a sager 5720 when its core duo version comes out for some reason.

You cant get the discount on dell inspirons like here in the us so at retail they are terrible deal.

I do believe linux runs better with nvidia video cards. but thats just my hearsay i dont use linux.

Well if you had a mac book pro, and a partition for windows and a partition for mac osx would you use the osx? Or would it be a worthless use of valuable hard drive space?
    If you want to doodle with osx there are much cheaper solutions than paying that much money for a dual boot system.

the two computers are the same thing, the difference is software. The apple is a poor value on hardware. It is very expensive software.

You can get free software to run osx on a windows laptop. Its technical, and I doubt you will endeaver it, because its not worth your time....

i want to add that the asus is processor upgradeable to 64 bit merom and the mbp is not processor upgradeable.
    Im not sure if asus makes the mac book pro thats out right now, or is making the one coming up. Asus made like some g4 titanium thing. its possible they are both made by asus and its possible the mac book pro is made by compal. The odms are too complicated for me to follow because im just doing research for my own purchase....

i seem to think that the mbp thats out right now is made by compal and is sort of a plastic kmart brand thing in comparison. but I could be wrong id need to see pictures

nm i think ur talking about the one that asus makes do they are both asus laptops. the
    Last edited by stamar; 25th April 2006 at 03:37 AM.

ejl
    fudge

why isn't the apple upgradeable to 64-bit? does it use a different yonah chipset?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast