Quantcast Sony Vaio E Series OR Dell Inspiron 15 ?? Confused....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

In Sony Vaio E Series OR Dell Inspiron 15 ?? Confused....

Sony Vaio E series Specifications which I am eying at

Intel® Core™ i3-330M processor 2.13 GHz *1
    3 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    320 GB harddisk
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 Graphics 512 MB DDR3 SDRAM
    15.5 (39.4 cm) wide (WXGA: 1366 x 768) TFT colour display (VAIO Display)

Dell Inspiron 15 specs
    Intel® Core™ i3-330M (2.13Ghz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
    4GB RAM
    320gb sata HD(7200 rpm)
    512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330
    15.6” High Definition 720p WLED (1366x768) Display with TrueLife™

Both comes around 40k i,e $800 in India

Pros and Cons which i see

Sony Pros -> Design, Better graphics card, build quality
    Cons -> Battery life, poor sound

Dell Pros -> more RAM, good speakers, better battery life
    Cons -> Poor design,keyboard, lower graphics card when compared.

Now please let me know what would be the difference in both the screens? Will Sony vaio e's screen would be very bad to see movies? If it is comparable to Inspiron's one, I will go for it. If not, I have to think about it.

I will be mostly using for surfing the net,watching movies and some gaming.
    Please let me know if any viable options available for the same price. And I can live without battery and sound quality. Mostly i would be using in AC supply and for sound I will be connecting to external speakers. So these two cant be constraints.

Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable time.

Cheers
    Sony Vaio E Series 0r Dell Inspiron ? Please help me out.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Sony Vaio E Series OR Dell Inspiron 15 ?? Confused....

sony, all the way. Regarding yoru concern for less ram, you can always do an after-purchase upgrade yourself.

The GPU is way ahead of what the dell offers. Also, not to mention the build quality and 'Vaio' tag!

All the best!

Notebook Enthusiast

How about Sony cw series? It has a Nvidia Geforce310 DDR3 RAM. All the other specifications are same except this has a 14 inch screen. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Notebook Deity

I have seen the Sony E series in a SonyWorld store, and I did not like the keys, its like BIG buttons and the position of the touch panel, which is left aligned and at an awkward position

I just bought the Sony E series (i3) from BestBuy. I too was debating between the Inspiron 1564 (i3) and went with the Sony because I made the sales guy put them side by side. Well lets just say the Sony feels more sturdy but the Dell looks better (for a guy anyway, the Sony has glitter in the palm-rest) but maybe that's your thing. Anyway, the Dell was a little more flimsy but the display was better. The Sony felt higher quality but the off-angle viewing was terrible (I didn't think it was that bad at the store but I was wrong). At the moment I decided to go with higher build quality and better reputation and went with the Sony. After an entire day of setting everything up and loading everything I need I started doing some work in Photoshop cs4 exactly where I left off on my old laptop. I started noticing that the colors were off and everything looked hazy. I tried to configure the graphics properties to make it look right reducing gamma, increasing the brightness, increasing gamma, reducing brightness, changing saturation a bit, and then changing it back.... giving up and doing the display configuration wizard... going back to where I started and restoring default... Yikes! that's actually worse than what I came up with!!! Who calibrated this thing? Then tilting the monitor all the way back and whoooaa everything improved. WOW that's great right there... Now if I can just keep my head really still...... aww crap I lost it..... Well let's just say after quite a while of tinkering with two other laptops next to it (both other laptops render colors correctly) I couldn't get it right. This may not be a deal breaker for everyone but I'm building a website and I need colors to be accurate because I need to know when images look right so I don't post crap product photos on my e-commerce site. So a quality display is important to me. Anyway, the colors are inaccurate but more importantly the off-angle is really bad. The monitor is most accurate when the monitor is tilted almost all the way back which feels unnatural. Anyway, I'm returning this computer tomorrow and I'm taking my chances with the Dell. I'm really disappointed too because I love the laptop. Smart layout (despite the lack of a physical volume rocker) and I just wish they would have put a better display on it.

ps. one of the "other" laptops was also a Sony Vaio which has been bullet proof and renders accurately (it's actually even better than bullet proof, it's put up with our 2 year old little boy who thinks he already knows how to look up trains on youtube haha)

Notebook Enthusiast

Ne Re: Sony Vaio E Series OR Dell Inspiron 15 ?? Confused....

That's a very nice piece of information you have provided. That's why I am still contemplating whether to buy or not.Thanks for the update. Am pretty ignorant on the new technologies evolving around the screen and display types. Would you recommend this E series one for just watching movies and plain net surfing? This is the only thing I am going to work with this cute thing. Will it satisfy my needs?

Your reply is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you're looking for sturdy and reliable buy the Sony. But if you're looking to watch Movies you have to see the display on the Dell Inspiron 1564 (the new Inspiron not the standard one). It's amazing and I'm going that route because I just can't deal with hazy inaccurate display. The Dell is a WLED High Definition display (true HD) and it shows when you compare them side by side. The color is richer and the darks are deeper. I'd go with the Dell if Movies are your thing. Just make sure you get the new Inspiron 1564... not the old one.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. Am ok to go with Dell. New one in the sense, you are referring to the one with the full keyboard ( with num pad?). How is the design?
    And once again thanks for clearing things here. Its great to help each other by these forums.

Yes the new Inspiron has a num pad. It's the Inspiron 1564. Or you could also go with the Studio for more $$$$

But I have to say that the new Inspiron is actually sturdier than the studio. Believe it or not I prefer the quality feel of the less expensive Inspiron 1564. If you open two browsers and compare a larger photo of the Inspiron 1564 and another large photo of the Studio 15 you will see why... The Studio is thicker to allow more resonance for sound but that space makes the design weaker and less stable. If you compare them side by side and type on each you can feel the difference. The Studio flexes under your fingers as you type but the Inspiron 1564 is definitely more sturdy (however still less than the Sony which feels VERY solid).
    Last edited by Philster53142; 23rd March 2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added info

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks again for the update. I am going to wait a month or so to see Dell releases different configurations in Inspiron models. As of now only complaint is it uses some old entry level graphics cards.If they come up with some high end ones, I will pay and get it. If not, I will settle for the curent Inspiron with core i5. However the sony looks kills me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast