Quantcast Acer Aspire 5740G or Sony VAIO E series?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Deity

Default Acer Aspire 5740G or Sony VAIO E series?

1) What is your budget?

US$950

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Hong Kong.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Sony, Acer, HP, Samsung
    b. Dislike: LG

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

I'd rather have it brand new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Surfing the net, checking e-mail, movie watching and gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I'd leave it on the desk most of the time, but who knows? I might take it out when I'm on a trip.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, GTA IV, adventure games in general

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Minimum 2 hrs.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I'd rather see it in the store first. That being said, I've never actually seen the E series. Just the 5740G, which I wasn't impressed with at first sight... growing on me fast though because of the affordable price and great specs.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows 7, no contest.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. If you are unsure of what to purchase, we would highly recommend you check some notebook screens before you buy to see what you like. You may also wish to take a look at the notebook screen guide for more information.

Standard Resolutions: WXGA, HD, 720p
    Actual resolutions: 1280x800 and 1366x768
    Offered on larger Netbooks and Notebooks up to 16"
    Lower resolution screens offer big text and icons that are easy to read. Less stuff fits on the screen, which translates into more scrolling. Multiple windows can be worked with, though they may have to overlap some.

Midrange Resolutions: WXGA+, HD+, 900p
    Actual resolutions: 1440x900 and 1600x900
    Offered on all Notebooks. Keep in mind text will be very small on a 12" WXGA+ notebook.
    A set of in-between resolution options that are found on some machines. Considered base resolution on 17" inch and higher laptops. Text and icons are smaller than standard resolution screens, and more windows fit onto the screen. These resolutions are very good for working with multiple windows side-by-side, without having to overlap them.

Maximum Resolutions: WSXGA+, WUXGA, FHD, 1080p
    Actual resolutions: 1680x1050, 1920x1200 and 1920x1080
    Offered on Notebook 15" and larger
    On these screens text and icons will be very small. Text can often be hard to read, though some do like it. A very large number of windows fit on the screen, and there will be little need to overlap any of them. Max resolution screens are good for applications that require high detail (CAD, graphics editing, etc.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Doesn't matter much.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Important, though I wouldn't mind having an Acer Aspire (not known for its aesthetics).

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

At least 2 years. My next notebook's hopefully going to have a borderless screen, and support 3D display technology (more than enough time for both technologies to mature no?). Blu-Ray too, though I'd be able to get that now if I choose the Sony VAIO.

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

Don't download movies, so 500GB would suffice.

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

DVD-RW, though BluRay would be a nice addition.

---

OK, so here are the specs of the two machines I'm looking at:

Sony VAIO E-series:
    Core i3 330M, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB 5400RPM HDD, Radeon HD 5650 1GB DDR3 (underclocked at 450MHz core?), 1080p LED-backlit screen, Blu-Ray ROM drive, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Acer Aspire 5740G:
    Core i5 520M, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB 5400RPM HDD, Radeon HD 5650 1GB DDR3 (at default clock of 550MHz core), 720p LED-backlit screen, DVD-RW drive, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit?)

Since both laptops cost exactly the same, it's hard to pick between the two. I'm not a major fan of ultra high-res displays on sub-15inchers, but at the same time would love to watch Blu-Ray on my laptop (but then again I already have a PS3 and 42" Samsung LED TV for that).

Judging from my preferences, which one would you recommend? Thanks!!

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Acer Aspire 5740G or Sony VAIO E series?

That's crazy. I'm also trying to decide between these two. Where did you find the Vaio E-series with the Radeon HD 5650? I've only seen the 5470 configuration.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by bob.ross View Post
    That's crazy. I'm also trying to decide between these two. Where did you find the Vaio E-series with the Radeon HD 5650? I've only seen the 5470 configuration.
    North American models don't get the HD5650 config. but everywhere else pretty much do.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cy007 View Post
    North American models don't get the HD5650 config. but everywhere else pretty much do.
    No fair

I want some

I would go with acer better spec and great graphics, unless you can get i5 in Vaio (which is an option) then i would go with vaio. It will be expensive but much more reliable. Vaio's are always out of my price range and we don't get ati 5650 in E series in USA, thats why i'm buying acer 5740g-6979 soon.

Sony has the best keyboard i know.