Quantcast Macbook Pro Vs New Alienware M17x?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Macbook Pro Vs New Alienware M17x?

I am having a hard time deciding between the two. I will be using the computer for intense graphics work as well as some music making and medium gaming. I have more programs for the mac but I also love the power of the new alienware. However, it is also huge and I do not need a complete desktop replacement. I love them both though, and am constantly going back and forth.

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Macbook Pro Vs New Alienware M17x?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: I'd suggest a Sager/Clevo/Compal or Lenovo/Dell professional business lines, the first will give better price for performance and equal or better build quality than Apple or AW, the second will give you very robust systems (build quality/sturdiness) with probably better price perf too compared to Apple or AW. If you are concerned much with style, look at Dell XPS and Sony. But if you are really stuck on your Apple apps and don't mind spending a bunch of money that you don't need to, go for the Apple.

Lastly, please fill out the FAQ, then we can be even more helpful.
    Sager NP9150 | Windows 7 HP | Core 2 Quad i7-3610QM | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GF 680M GTX | 7200RPM 750GB | 1920X1200 15"
    Lenovo R500 | Windows 7 Pro | Core 2 Duo P8600 | 4GB DDR3 1067 | Intel X4500 | 5400RPM 250GB | 1680X1050 15"

Notebook Virtuoso

You mean the 9280, not 2980. But the OP said she's not looking for a desktop replacement, so a 9280 is probably too big for her needs. An 8662 or 2098(?) would probably be a better pick.

You do make a good point about the perf of MBPs though. They are still using mid-grade last-gen GPUs, which, if you are planning heavy graphics use, are a bad call.

Ok, NBR wigged out... I originally posted this after the post below this showed up, but then things got juggled around, and now this post shows up first... yeah, this is in response to nobdieshero, heh.
    Last edited by sirmetman; 7th July 2009 at 05:40 PM.
    Sager NP9150 | Windows 7 HP | Core 2 Quad i7-3610QM | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GF 680M GTX | 7200RPM 750GB | 1920X1200 15"
    Lenovo R500 | Windows 7 Pro | Core 2 Duo P8600 | 4GB DDR3 1067 | Intel X4500 | 5400RPM 250GB | 1680X1050 15"

Notebook Speculator

I understand the allure of the MPB with it's clean looks, good screen and simple, friendly programs but realistically you can get something from Sager/Clevo or AW that absolutely crushes it in every aspect. If your graphics work is extremely heavy, consider the Sager NP2980 which has a core i7 that will handle any amount of graphics/CAD work you could ever throw at it. If gaming is also a priority the Alienware M17x and the Sager NP9850 will still handle any graphics work you could throw at it and are currently the best gaming laptops on the market. As far as price to performance ratio, currently the M17x and the NP9850 are about equal in pricing, and both have good price/performance for high end laptops, the M17x being slightly higher in price, the Asus W90 beats both of the above mentioned laptops in price to performance.

Notebook Speculator

Yeah I deleted cause you posted yours literally a second after I did and wanted to delete to respond to both of the posters ;P

Are we not men?

The Alienware wins hands-down for gaming. Bump the processor to a 2.8 to match the Macbook base model (I am assuming 17" version), and you can still upgrade to dual GTX 260m's and then get the 1920x1200 screen at about the same price. A few dollars more adds RAID HDD options, or bump the storage up to a single 500 GB and then buy a SSD off Newegg to hold the OS. The Macbook can't hold a second HDD.

For graphics and music, you might not find that the Alienware has that much of an advantage (although if your programs use CUDA, than two graphics cards will speed up those apps as well).

The advantage of the Macbook (putting aside OSX, which may or may not be an advantage, according to your preferences), is the weight and battery life. The M17x is about 5 pounds heavier, and the battery will not run as long as the Macbook (I would check the forums to see what users are getting, as opposed to the reported numbers on teh Dell and Apple pages). But you can change the battery on an Alienware, while on the new Macbooks you can't.

If you don't mind carrying a heavy notebook or you don't move it often, and gaming is your main concern, go for the M17x. If you need portability and battery life, and gaming is secondary, consider the Macbook.

edit..after reading the people who posted while I was typing:
    As an alternative, look at the Dell Precision m6400. It splits the middle of the two very nicely, has quad-core options that the Macbook lacks, and has some very good screen options. An m6400 Covet Edition through the Outlet store runs about the same price as the other two notebooks, and is both powerful and good looking.