3 options - Sony-Toshiba-Acer - Need a new laptop .
I am looking for a overall great laptop for everyday use. I love watching movies online , dvd , blu ray , youtube , videos , music ,I take lot of pictures so I will be uploading my camera pictures to the laptop ,
Looking forward to use it for school in the near future also . I am not a gamer.
I have basic computer knowledge, I am not a computer genius and do not know what is better then what.
It would be nice if someone can point me towards a good deal or laptop I should look into for reasons I will be using it for.
Any other personal options will help alot.
Here are my 3 options at the moment - specs,pricing , ..
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
Either of these is preferable.
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
Canada, but not opposed to buying online. Would prefer custom built but store bought are fine too.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Dislike: Gateway, Compaq, and any Mac.
5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
School, Games, Movies, Music, Web, Movies again ( Blu Ray ) , etc.
6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both, it will be my main PC for travel , home , random
7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games?
Not a PC gamer but its a +
8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Preferably 2-3-4 on a balanced power setting.
9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Buying online is perfectly fine. ( Canada only , do not want to pay extra for shipping)
10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
I prefer Windows XP, but if Vista is the only choice for the laptop then that will do (will probably upgrade to Windows 7 either way).
11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
Either of these but would prefer WUSXGA.
I do not know the difference in screen resolutions, I like watching movies online, dvd , blu ray so the best would be good.
12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
Does not matter.
Build Quality and Design
13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
I prefer sleeker looking laptops instead of boxy ones, and black is a preferable option but does not matter.
14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
I would prefer it to last throughout university (4-5 years), but because I consider computers important I would be afraid to go buy a new one after about 3.
15) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
I prefer a standard disk drive, a min of 250GB. Any larger and I can't complain
16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
Yes I need a drive, preferably with a DVD burner. Blu-Ray is important.
Re: 3 options - Sony-Toshiba-Acer - Need a new laptop .
If you WUSXGA, you'd probably have to look at custom computers as they aren't any mainstream retail stores which offer that high a resolution.
Mind you, for your budget that resolution is a bit of a stretch. If you want Blu Ray I'd suggest the Vaio FW as it has the best screen out of all 3, but you can probably fiddle around Sony's website to find a better configuration than the one at Best Buy(since it has no full HD screen).
Also, if yo plan to game at all, an approximate list of games would be good as we'll know if you need a decent level of graphics power or not(Blu Ray can be managed on integrated graphics).