Quantcast Humming Noise when connected to DJ Equipment

Closed Thread

Default Humming Noise when connected to DJ Equipment

Hey Everyone,

I am experiencing a problem with both laptops I own. Both are HP Pavilions. One is a ze4900 series and the other a ze2000 series.

When I connect a RCA to Mini 1/8 plug to the laptop and run it to my DJ equipment I get a LOUD humming. I also tried this on my home stereo equipment and got the same loud humming. If I play the music loud enough, you do not hear the humming but for quieter dinner music, you can not use the laptops to play music. I would like to use the laptops for the entire gigs, is there any soloution to this problem?

Would buying PCMIA Sound Card fix this humming or will I be wasting my money? Thanks in advance for the help!

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Humming Noise when connected to DJ Equipment

Sounds like it could be electrical interference. Try getting some sort of surge protection or power regulating device for your electrical outlet...
    However, a PCMCIA card might work too.
    Apple MacBook (MB061LL/B) | 13.3" WXGA | Intel C2D T7300 2.0 GHz | 2 GB DDR2-667 RAM | Intel GMA X3100 | Combo Drive | 80 GB 5400RPM 8M | Airport Extreme | Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    Currently running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Overclocker

I think its the poor internal sound card. And that buying a higher end external sound card like a PCMIA or Express card, would fix the problem. Generally laptops sound cards arn't that great. But you can also try to find driver updates for the sound driver that might fix it. But if you plan on using your laptop for any serious audio tasks you need a good sound card! Look at the ones made by Creative Labs, they are quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Salad
    Hey Everyone,

I am experiencing a problem with both laptops I own. Both are HP Pavilions. One is a ze4900 series and the other a ze2000 series.

When I connect a RCA to Mini 1/8 plug to the laptop and run it to my DJ equipment I get a LOUD humming. I also tried this on my home stereo equipment and got the same loud humming. If I play the music loud enough, you do not hear the humming but for quieter dinner music, you can not use the laptops to play music. I would like to use the laptops for the entire gigs, is there any soloution to this problem?

Would buying PCMIA Sound Card fix this humming or will I be wasting my money? Thanks in advance for the help!
    Sounds like a ground loop/unbalanced line problem and having a generic sound card makes it worse. You can get pretty good results with the sound blaster audigy zs notebook pcmcia card. Since you're a DJ, you may want to look into the Echo Indigo card. I dont have it but the reviews have been pretty good. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/247019/

Also a cheap trick you can try to eliminate the ground loop problem is try running off battery power or usea 3 prong to 2 prong adapter for your ac adapter.
    Last edited by june.bizzel; 11th January 2006 at 02:36 AM.

Notebook Geek

Try unplugging the laptop. I tried hooking my laptop up to my reciever once while it was plugged in, oh man, the feedback/hum was horrible! I unplugged the laptop and it was gone.

Bad ground I guess? I have no idea.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have solved the problem for now. I tried the 3 prong to 2 prong adaptor and it did not work. I tried it on my external hard drive and it worked. It was my external hard drive causing the humming??! I do think I will be buying a PCMIA sound card for both laptops, and a couple more 3 prong to 2 prong adaptors.

One last question. Is using a 3 prong to 2 prong adaptor safe?

Notebook Deity

Since using the 3-2 prong adapter worked, that means it definately was a grounding problem and electrical interference. I'm not sure about the safety issue, though.

Youll be fine with the adapter. Now if you were plugged into an outlet directly w/o a surge protector and lighting struck, youd probably see a light show