Quantcast What laptop should I buy for my 13 year old?

Closed Thread

Us What laptop should I buy for my 13 year old?

I'm trying to figure out which laptop to buy for my 13 year old daughter. She uses the computer to surf the web, instant message friends and download and listen to music. I was hoping to get something with decent speakers since she likes to listen to music. I don't want to spend much money, $400 max. I've been looking at the Acer one, Lenovo IdeaPad S10, and the Asus Eee PC 1000H. Please give me any feedback you have.

Notebook Acolyte

Default Re: What laptop should I buy for my 13 year old?

Filling out the FAQ could help some.
    Notebooks:
    Vostro 3555 | AMD E2-3000M 1.8Ghz | 4GB RAM | Radeon HD 6380 | 320GB HD | Win 7 | Xubuntu 12.04
    Vostro 1400 | T5470 C2D 1.6Ghz | 2GB RAM | 128MB nVidia GeForce 8400M | 320GB HD | Win XP Pro | Xubuntu 12.04
    Desktop:
    Gigabyte Mobo | PC Power & Cooling 610W | Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz | Radeon HD 4850 512MB | Crucial 4GB | WD Blue 320GB 7200rpm | Acer 23" 1080p | Win 7 Pro
    Tumblr

General Questions

1) What is your budget? max $400

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 10 inch or less

a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: don't know
    b. Dislike:don't know

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    web surfing, instant messaging, download and listen to music, view movies,
    simple gaming
    6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly leave at home with ocassional taking places.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games? nothing with high graphics, simple games

8) How many hours of battery life do you need? 2 hours or more

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? online OK

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    XP or Linux
    Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    b. Not sure

a. WXGA – 1280x800 or occasionally 1280x768; For people who like big text and icons that are easy to read. Less stuff fits on the screen, which translates into more scrolling.
    b. WXGA+ – 1440x900; A modest bump over WXGA. Text and icons are a bit smaller. A little more stuff fits on the screen.
    c. WSXGA+ – 1680x1050; The middle ground. Again, text and icons are smaller than WXGA+, and more stuff fits onto the screen. Good for having applications open side by side, like a web browser while playing a video.
    d. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Very small text and icons, that can be hard to read. Lots of stuff fits on the screen, which means less scrolling. Good for applications that require a high level of detail like CAD or Photo Editing.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? not sure

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? yes

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last? buying in next 1-2 weeks, last 2-4 years if possible

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want a SSD drive?60-80 GB

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive? would be great but don't know if that fits in my price range. I really know next to nothing about computers

Notebook aficionado

Something like a netbook would be perfect for you I guess, check out the Acer Aspire One, or something like the lenovo S10.
    Samsung Series 7 Gamer

Banned

also dell mini 9

Notebook Evangelist

hp mini. 40% off with live cash back tomorrow from 7-7. It will end up to cost you around 250$

Notebook Geek

How does that "cashback live work?" I need a new laptop for me and my 12 yr old daughter.

Thanks

Notebook Evangelist

you sign up under a live account @ live.com Then you search using the Live Search. In this case you search HP and the sponosored link will say 40% off 7am to 7pm. Use that link and purchase your laptop. You will then be mailed a check in 60 days in the amount of the cash back

Notebook Geek

Cool! Have you every gotten any money back. I'm afraid of the gimmick sites.

What about The small discount from the Hp site. Usually $150 off. Would I still qualify for the Live cashback?

Thanks