Quantcast T42 or Inspiron 600m

Closed Thread

Default T42 or Inspiron 600m

Please help me make this decision. I probably can get a pretty good deal on the Dell, but the T42 sounds like a much, much better machine. Any thoughts?

Notebook Deity

You are right, I was looking at the pre-configured models. Thanks for straightening that out. It looks like the IBM wins everywhere but price. If it was me, I would buy the T42. My computer is something special, something that I use every day for both work and play. IBM's quality makes the entire experience more enjoyable. Go for it.

Thanks for the reply. As I understand it, the new T42s have the same processor. Am I mistaken?

Notebook Deity

You are right, it is a much, much better machine. But the 600M has a much, much better processor [V] The 600M is available with the pentium M 745, which I have and love in my 8600. However, the Dothans are backward compatible with banias mobos, so you should be able to swap in the newer chip when you feel like it. Go with the IBM.

Yeah, I think the T42 is the way to go. I've settled for lesser notebooks before and paid the price. The machine should not be a chore to use. As much as I like Dell desktops, their notebooks just don't cut it. IBM is just the opposite.

T42 it is. I may just wait a bit to see if any sales spring up.

Notebook Evangelist

I am also looking at both the 600m and the T42. I am going to go for the IBM, even though I can get a Dell with a faster processor for the same price, because IBM build quality and durability is far better than Dell. Dell's, especially Inspirons, feel cheap and are made out of creaky plastic. IBM's, on the other hand, feel bullet proof. The IBM also has the eraser head pointing device, which is easier and more accurate than a clumsy touchpad.

I am looking at the T42 part number 2378FVU. It has a P-M 735 (1.7), 256 MB PC2700 (600m has PC2100 memory []), a 64 MB Radeon 9600 (600m only offers Radeon 9000), and a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. Total weigth: 4.9 pounds! It costs around $1800 - check www.dealtime.com for the latest and lowest prices. Whatever you do, don't buy more RAM from IBM. I suggest configuring your Thinkpad with 256 MB and then buying another SO-DIMM or two from www.newegg.com. You will save a lot of $$$.

Notebook Evangelist

The only way to guarantee your memory going to be compatible with your laptop's motherboard is you buy it directly from IBM or from Kingston or Crucial. I know a number of people that got "other" brands and their OS is crashing and very unstable. Crucial usually has cheaper prices than IBM, and you can get Kingston brand from Newegg but you have to call them directly and verify the correct part number. Also, if you get it from IBM, make sure you get it as a separate part which you can install yourself. It will save you $50 over them installing it for you.

Notebook Evangelist

Crucial SO-DIMMs are also available at www.newegg.com

I didn't know IBMs were so sensitive to memory... that's surprising.

www.team-md.com

Working at 486 Speed

There is no doubt here...the IBM if the cost is not a problem. If it is, also investigate the Fujitsu S6210.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com