Quantcast 17'' ATI AMD Crossfire Notebook???

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default 17'' ATI AMD Crossfire Notebook???

I apologize in advance at the exasperated tone of the rest of my post. I'm getting annoyed and upset... Here's the issue.

I'm in the market for a top of the line notebook to play games with, and I'm seriously considering a dual card setup. That means either SLI or Crossfire. Now I've been an Nvidia man all my life, and that sweet rig from Sager with the two 9800GTXs has me drooling! However it's a bit pricey, and being the discerning consumer that I am, I decided to have a look at the competition. And that meant looking at it's Crossfire enabled equivalent.

I have yet to find one!

Every laptop builder site has their own SLI rig decked out with quad core intel processors and any video card I want, but NO ONE is offering anything close to that level in Crossfire! Now, I KNOW that there's a Radeon Mobility HD 4870 card coming out, and That means there are 3870s in spades by now. Yet I'm hard pressed to find any laptops that use them.

After scouring a dozen laptop makers, I found ONE laptop that actually uses an AMD processor with an ATI card in a 17'' laptop. Unfortunately it was only a single card and 2 generations out of date.

Why is it that every crossfire laptop I've seen has been paired with an Intel processor? Here's a formula for building computers people. Intel, goes with Nvidia. AMD goes with ATI. You don't mix the two! Even I know that. They just aren't built to work like that! Do people honestly think that Intel will run ATI cards better than the company OWNED by ATI itself?

"Alright... change of thought." (I said to myself) What if the argument is moot. Let me check to see how Crossfire stacks up against SLI in desktops, see who's better. In this too I end up getting upset, as every benchmark I look at seems to test crossfire on an Intel board! It's no wonder that Crossfire comes up short in the results. I haven't gotten to see the actual results of pairing an ATI card with an AMD processor like it SHOULD BE. And everyone declares Crossfire 'overrated' because of these results. All these benchmarking sites have lengthy editorials on the merits of nvidia cards and SLI, while offering a mere sentence and one paultry test to ATI's cards.

Pardon my mania, but I think my conspiracy sense is tingling! It's as if ATI is getting completely hounded out of the laptop market! They are cheaper, lighter on the juice, and offer ALMOST the same power as Nvidia's cards if the benchmarks I have to go on are right. They would probably offer MORE if they actually showed tests with the cards used in a proper rig made to accommodate them.

Deep breath... I'm going 'Louis Black' over here. Anyone.... anyone, if you can find a 17" laptop that uses AMD processors and chipsets to power a set of reasonably recent ATI cards in a Crossfire configuration, I would greatly appreciate it. And I'm sorry for all the caps...

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: 17'' ATI AMD Crossfire Notebook???

I'm not too sure about graphics cards myself, but it may be because AMD Processors are mediocre compared to their Intel equivalents. At least for now.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by DrSNAFU View Post
    I apologize in advance at the exasperated tone of the rest of my post. I'm getting annoyed and upset... Here's the issue.

I'm in the market for a top of the line notebook to play games with, and I'm seriously considering a dual card setup. That means either SLI or Crossfire. Now I've been an Nvidia man all my life, and that sweet rig from Sager with the two 9800GTXs has me drooling! However it's a bit pricey, and being the discerning consumer that I am, I decided to have a look at the competition. And that meant looking at it's Crossfire enabled equivalent.

I have yet to find one!

Every laptop builder site has their own SLI rig decked out with quad core intel processors and any video card I want, but NO ONE is offering anything close to that level in Crossfire! Now, I KNOW that there's a Radeon Mobility HD 4870 card coming out, and That means there are 3870s in spades by now. Yet I'm hard pressed to find any laptops that use them.

After scouring a dozen laptop makers, I found ONE laptop that actually uses an AMD processor with an ATI card in a 17'' laptop. Unfortunately it was only a single card and 2 generations out of date.

Why is it that every crossfire laptop I've seen has been paired with an Intel processor? Here's a formula for building computers people. Intel, goes with Nvidia. AMD goes with ATI. You don't mix the two! Even I know that. They just aren't built to work like that! Do people honestly think that Intel will run ATI cards better than the company OWNED by ATI itself?

"Alright... change of thought." (I said to myself) What if the argument is moot. Let me check to see how Crossfire stacks up against SLI in desktops, see who's better. In this too I end up getting upset, as every benchmark I look at seems to test crossfire on an Intel board! It's no wonder that Crossfire comes up short in the results. I haven't gotten to see the actual results of pairing an ATI card with an AMD processor like it SHOULD BE. And everyone declares Crossfire 'overrated' because of these results. All these benchmarking sites have lengthy editorials on the merits of nvidia cards and SLI, while offering a mere sentence and one paultry test to ATI's cards.

Pardon my mania, but I think my conspiracy sense is tingling! It's as if ATI is getting completely hounded out of the laptop market! They are cheaper, lighter on the juice, and offer ALMOST the same power as Nvidia's cards if the benchmarks I have to go on are right. They would probably offer MORE if they actually showed tests with the cards used in a proper rig made to accommodate them.

Deep breath... I'm going 'Louis Black' over here. Anyone.... anyone, if you can find a 17" laptop that uses AMD processors and chipsets to power a set of reasonably recent ATI cards in a Crossfire configuration, I would greatly appreciate it. And I'm sorry for all the caps...
    Try this link bro.. NEW OCZ Whitebook available for Pre Order with Dual ATI HD3870 Crossire Video Cards & 3 Year Complete Care Warranty - http://www.xoticpc.com/force-extreme...er-p-2495.html

I am one of the ATI fan and i extremely hope that mobility radeon 4850 will come out this month and compete with NVidia cards..hopefully more manufacturers will realize the potential of mobility radeon 4870 and market it in their notebooks..

Notebook Consultant

Yeah from what I've been able to see that since (and maybe before) that buyout of AMD, they have been kinda falling behind in the video market, getting smacked around by Nvidia.

Now I have seen that OCZ computer, the thing that worries me is that motherboard... The PM45 (at least the desktop version) ramped down the PCI bus from 16x down to 8x for each when you add 2 cards for crossfire. Not to mention... the lack of AMD processor. It's okay that AMD's stuff is a little below Intel's since they are so much cheaper.

Notebook Prophet

um

AMD is just not a laptop performance company. ATI is starting to compete with nvidia but the cpus amd sells for laptops are garbage.

currently on a vizio ct -14 a0 128 gb

g72 bb model momentus xt/hitachi 7k500
    p8700 260 gtx cost : $400
    11219 3dmark 06
    stock 5400.6 in external
    "The best future proofing is keeping dollars in your pocket" - A NBR genious I forgot his name

How's It Made Addict

AMD and Intel as well as Nvidia and ATI have always been in a constant power struggle for as long as I can remember so nothing new there lol They constantly fluctuate in terms of who has the advantage on what.

Before dual core technology, AMD was ahead in terms of performance/price ratio on the CPUs, but Intel's multi-core technology is currently ahead of AMD's, hence AMD's lower price range. Some speculate that in the quad core department, AMD's quad core is more promising than Intel since it is a true 4 core system, while Intel's Core 2 Quad is a parallel 2 sets of dual cored systems.

As for GPUs, ATI currently has in terms of desktop GPUs the better price/performance ratio, where Nvidia cards of the same performance cost far more than ATI's. Hence Nvidia's large move toward notebook GPUs(theya re still very competitive for desktop GPUs mind you, but they moevd more in the notebook department than ATI), for which they control a large portion(I believe most ATI powered machines are mostly also AMD powered). ATi has made a very solid move though with the ATI HD3200, which is currently the world's fastest IGP, which completely trumps Nvidia and Intel's on board graphics. With this, ATI is on its way to securing the lower end market of laptops for the general everyday consumer(the main issue is the AMD cores which people don't like).

Anyways, that was merely my opinion on facts, I'm no expert lol

Back to topic....

ATI powered machines with Intel cores are rare, but possible. I'm not familiar with the higher end market but I know of that OCZ which seems to be promising, but time will tell how it works.

"When I am sad I cut myself...another piece of cake."