Quantcast Mid-level gaming laptop?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Us Mid-level gaming laptop?

1) What is your budget?
    $800-1700. I would really rather not push to $2000 unless there is no choice whatsoever.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen OR
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen, ONLY if it doesn't push the price over my budget

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I'd prefer a major brand with good customer service and a good track record

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    Graphic arts, programming, gaming

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    I travel frequently between the West Coast and the Midwest. My current laptop (a 2 year old Sager) weighs like 12 pounds and the power brick is HUGE. I'd like to avoid this situation as much as possible, so the notebook needs to be travel-friendly, but beyond that, I will be leaving it on my desk once I get to my destination.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    World of Warcraft, CS:S, and when they come out, SC2 and D3. Nothing more hardware intensive than that.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    None. I can stay plugged in the whole time.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    No, that's fine.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    XP, please. No Mac, no linux, but if I really don't have a choice I am willing to live with Vista. I have my own XP Pro install CD's/CD-key so if it saves me money to get a notebook with no OS installed, I'm fine with it.

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    My current laptop has a native resolution of 1920x1200 but this is totally unnecessary. I am willing to live with a bare minimum of WXGA/WXGA+ and maybe one resolution higher than that, anything better would be nice but I'd rather not pay out the yahoo for it.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Current laptop has a glossy screen but I don't really care. No preference.

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No. It can be disguised as a turd and I'd think it's awesome if it runs well.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    Planning to buy within 2 weeks before I return to university life. Must last 2+ years. I'm not the kind of guy that will want to upgrade this thing just to keep up with the latest. I would only seek an upgrade if my current one ran into an unfixable hardware problem.

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?
    At least 80GB. Beyond that, no preference since I have external HDs to store most things.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    CDRW and DVD burner.

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Mid-level gaming laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    1) What is your budget?
    $800-1700. I would really rather not push to $2000 unless there is no choice whatsoever.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen OR
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen, ONLY if it doesn't push the price over my budget

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I'd prefer a major brand with good customer service and a good track record

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    Graphic arts, programming, gaming

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    I travel frequently between the West Coast and the Midwest. My current laptop (a 2 year old Sager) weighs like 12 pounds and the power brick is HUGE. I'd like to avoid this situation as much as possible, so the notebook needs to be travel-friendly, but beyond that, I will be leaving it on my desk once I get to my destination.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    World of Warcraft, CS:S, and when they come out, SC2 and D3. Nothing more hardware intensive than that.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    None. I can stay plugged in the whole time.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    No, that's fine.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    XP, please. No Mac, no linux, but if I really don't have a choice I am willing to live with Vista. I have my own XP Pro install CD's/CD-key so if it saves me money to get a notebook with no OS installed, I'm fine with it.

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    My current laptop has a native resolution of 1920x1200 but this is totally unnecessary. I am willing to live with a bare minimum of WXGA/WXGA+ and maybe one resolution higher than that, anything better would be nice but I'd rather not pay out the yahoo for it.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Current laptop has a glossy screen but I don't really care. No preference.

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No. It can be disguised as a turd and I'd think it's awesome if it runs well.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    Planning to buy within 2 weeks before I return to university life. Must last 2+ years. I'm not the kind of guy that will want to upgrade this thing just to keep up with the latest. I would only seek an upgrade if my current one ran into an unfixable hardware problem.

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?
    At least 80GB. Beyond that, no preference since I have external HDs to store most things.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    CDRW and DVD burner.
    Personally, I would take a look at www.vigorgaming.com

Snitch?

I would have a look at two laptops from PowerNotebooks. I bought my laptop from there and the experience has been great. You can check Reseller Ratings to see that they have an excellent customer feedback rating.. better than any company I've seen.

The main one I'd recommend is the PowerPro P 12:15. The base price is $1239, and any upgrades keep it well within your budget. It's a 15.4'' laptop with up to a 1680x1050 resolution, which is the max I'd go with a 15'' laptop anyways. It has a 9600gt graphics card, which can easily handle any game available today. You can choose from many different processors (up to 2.8ghz), and from 2gb to 4gb of memory. You can choose either XP or Vista to come preinstalled. There will be NO bloatware that comes with the PC, and it also comes with a nice 3 year warranty (no accidental coverage though).

To me it seems like the ideal computer for you. You can read about it more in it's owner's lounge here: Sager NP2096 Owners Lounge. There are a lot of pages to sift through so I picked out one with a brief review.

There is also the PowerPro P 15:3, which costs more but also has a sweet paint job. Other then that I can't say I'd recommend it over the other one.

For 17'' there is also the PowerPro I 8-17, which is still in your price range and is similarly equipped to the P 12:15b
    Dv6t? Nope, MBP 13

Notebook Deity

sager np2096 for your low end of the budget, sager np8660 for your higher end. buy them from creditable resellers such as xotic pc or powernotebooks
    vostro 1400 (given to my dad)
    C2D T7100
    2 gb ram
    120gb 5400rpm HD
    geforce 8400m gs

Snitch?

The games he's playing doesn't really require more than a 9600GT.. I just want to save him some money
    Dv6t? Nope, MBP 13