16th August 2008, 10:09 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- Rep Power
Best New Laptop for Autocad and Watching Movies/TV Shows?
My wife and I have a Toshiba Satellite that's made it about 4 years and is slowly dying out. It's time for a new laptop, we'll use it for watching TV Shows and Movies, surfing the net, and my wife's an architect to be so we'll use it for working on a Portfolio in AutoCad and PhotoShop.
Open to suggestions, here's my form:
1) What is your budget? Trying to stay under $1,000 if we can
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I'm pretty open.
5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
Autocad, Photoshop, Watching TV/Movies (using Slingbox), and surfing the net
6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
Most of the time it'll be on a desk. Will travel occasionally with it.
7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
2.5 hrs is pretty ok
9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows Vista, but not a big deal
Note - When this FAQ was started many years ago, the split between standard screen notebooks and widescreen notebooks was about 50-50. In the meantime, widescreen notebooks have become the new standard. If you're looking for a standard screen notebook, some people are, you may wish to mention it. There are a few standard screens still being sold, but they're going the way of the Dodo bird.
11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
Pretty indifferent here
d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
Build Quality and Design
13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
yes, but the function is much more important.
14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
in the next 2 weeks, 3-5 years
15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?
200GB or more
16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
17th August 2008, 01:14 AM #2
17th August 2008, 01:32 AM #3
Re: Best New Laptop for Autocad and Watching Movies/TV Shows?
I second Johnny T on this one. Either the HP dv5t or dv5z. The AMD based dv5z will provide a better midrange graphics option versus the price, however the dv5z will have slightly poorer battery life and produce a bit more heat than the dv5t equivalent. The dv5t uses Nvidia options which are currently under scrutiny for possible heat issues, but that has yet to be confirmed.
BBGusSony VAIO VGN-SR290 CTO: 13.3" WXGA, Intel C2D P8600, *Upgraded to 4GB DDR2-800 Corsair RAM, 250GB 7,200 RPM, ATI HD 3470, XP Pro, Night Black
If you want to thank someone for helping you out, give them a rep point. That's what they are there for.