Quantcast Laptop with HDMI-input???

Closed Thread

Us Laptop with HDMI-input???

I guess I'm looking for a "Thin and Light" laptop. I'm an old hand at Windows desktops, but know zero about laptops. I'll be using it as a second computer at home and for travel. Mostly email, word processing and some web browsing. But...I will occasionally want it to display pictures and high definition AVCHD video copied over from my desktop and may want to play BluRay disks. Also, it would be great if I can plug in my Sony HDR-SR1 HD video camera to watch clips directly from the camera through an HDMI port.

I won't need access to wireless cell phone, but I would like to use the laptop in locations that have free wireless connections, such as coffee shops, people's homes, etc. I have no idea what that requires.

I'd like it to run WinXP, not Vista.

A decent size HDD in case I want to transport a number of large HD video clips.

Lighter would be better but I don't need something as light as the new MAC Air or the PC equivalents.

Price is not terribly important, but I don't want to throw money away for no purpose.

All thoughts gratefully received, _/\/\ichael{R}

Moderately Boss

Default Re: Laptop with HDMI-input???

HDMI doesnt support input only output for notebooks.

You will have to use the firewire interface to watch movies from your video camera
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Flipfire, that was quick! I hardly had time to blink. Okay, no HDMI inputs for laptops but firewire instead to watch video from the camera. Do you know if that will display HD video and sound of similar quality to what I'd expect of HDMI input?

Thanks, _/\/\ichael{R}

Notebook Evangelist

Yep, no HDMI input support, or at least not that I know of (watch K-TRON prove me wrong )

Wireless is included on your laptop, you'll be fine.
    I have a lot of computers, varying greatly in performance. From computers less powerful than your phone, to servers with more processor cores than are necessary. But more of the first one.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain

Notebook Deity

Firewire connection will be no worse than the HDMI.

Us Re: Laptop with HDMI-input???

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
    Firewire connection will be no worse than the HDMI.
    I may not need it often, but it's good to know it will work.

Thanks, _/\/\ichael{R}