Quantcast Which laptop is good for a non-gamer?

Closed Thread

Default Which laptop is good for a non-gamer?

Most product reviews seem to emphasize that laptop's suitability for gaming. However, what I want to do is basic word processing (writing, editing, etc.), surfing the Internet, watching movies, and listening to music. Possibly some photo editing, but no gaming at all.

It's important that it be compact enough to use on my lap, when I'm curled up on the couch or in bed, and I'm concerned that a screen of 15 inches or more would make it unwieldy. Am I wrong about this?

For the same reason (lap comfort), I'm concerned about a computer that gets very hot.

I expect to pay somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000.

All recommendations & advice are much appreciated!!!

There Is No Substitute...

Default Re: Which laptop is good for a non-gamer?

As long as you dont travel a lot, a 17incher will be OK for you. However, Laptops are not meant to be used in your lap (ironic isnt it?). ITs not good for the laptop nor your body,

Furthermore, Look at the

a)Dell Vostro
    b)HP pavilion line
    c)Lenovo Y series, T series, R series

MALIBAL Lotus P151HM1
    | 15.6" FHD LED Backlit Matte 95% | Intel Core i7 2630QM | NVIDIA GTX 560M | 8GB 1333MHz | 500GB HDD |

Notebook Virtuoso

The recommendations that will come will be the smaller Vostros (13XX, 14XX) and probably the IBMs (T line, maybe Y). Since you won't game at all, you'll want an IGP (integrated graphics processor). Personally, I recommend getting as high a resolution as humanly possible for the size screen you want, but that is personal preference. I'd also suggest you fill out the FAQ and post it back here.

Edit: grrr, he beat me.
    Sager NP9150 | Windows 7 HP | Core 2 Quad i7-3610QM | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GF 680M GTX | 7200RPM 750GB | 1920X1200 15"
    Lenovo R500 | Windows 7 Pro | Core 2 Duo P8600 | 4GB DDR3 1067 | Intel X4500 | 5400RPM 250GB | 1680X1050 15"

Banned

i read couple reviews of Lenovo Y710 last night, it looks and built amazing.

Trailblazer

Anything with a x3100 is good.

ZaZ
    Super Model

Quote Originally Posted by ValoryHope View Post
    what I want to do is basic word processing (writing, editing, etc.), surfing the Internet, watching movies, and listening to music. Possibly some photo editing
    Almost any new laptop is going to handle those tasks well.

It's important that it be compact enough to use on my lap, when I'm curled up on the couch or in bed, and I'm concerned that a screen of 15 inches or more would make it unwieldy. Am I wrong about this?
    Screen size is really a personal preference. What works for me may not for you. You should probably go to a store and look at some to see what you like better.

I expect to pay somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000.
    I’m thinking you can get a very nice laptop, which more than meets your needs, for less than $1,000. You may wish to consider the FAQ and post back. Good Luck.