Quantcast How to get the best price for Dell XPS 1530

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Gb How to get the best price for Dell XPS 1530

I am intending to purchase the Dell XPS 1530 (specs below), I had heard that the best way to get a cheaper price was to call the sales line and barter rather than just buy online.

The machine currently has a save £110 special offer on it, which runs out on the 14th. Basiclly I was interested to know if anyone has had any experience of how to get the price down, whether it was through discount coupons or haggeling...

Any suggestions would be great as I don't have any experience in this area!

Thanks

XPS M1530 Specs

Total: £729 (inc shipping)

Special Offers:
    Get Free Shipping - Worth £60 (Inc Vat)
    Save £110 (Inc Vat)

Base
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache)

Microsoft Operating System
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English

LCD
    15.4" Widescreen™ WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display (220nits) with TrueLife™

Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory

Memory
    3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048+1x1024]

Optical Devices
    Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load drive, including SW

Moderately inquisitive

Default Re: How to get the best price for Dell XPS 1530

I'm not up-to-date on this, but I understand that the phone sales people find it easier to give cut-price upgrades than to cut the basic price. It may also be advantageous to have a (mythical?) alternative that you are thinking of buying.

You can always phone and see what you get offered, then compare it with the online price.

John

Mangekyo Sharingan

i would phone them, but i dont like talking to people i dont know on the phone (yes im weird) shame you cant email them and try to haggle the price down.
    My Laptops :
    Current : Sager NP9262 : For Sale Now ONLY £750 See This Thread
    My Desktop : Phenom 955 BE / OCZ 4GB/ ATI 5850 / 1TB Hard drive / Coolermaster Storm Scout
    Monitor : Dell SP2309w

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeh thats what I had i mind... probably gonna suggest I'm torn between that and an HP that is slightly cheaper and try and get them to shift a bit.

I don't suppose it is likely the will implement a larger reduction in price after this £110 deal ends on the 14th?

Mangekyo Sharingan

i know someone that got like £700 off a fully maxed out m1730 he paid just over £2,000 so you could get more off if ya keep haggling.
    My Laptops :
    My Desktop : Phenom 955 BE / OCZ 4GB/ ATI 5850 / 1TB Hard drive / Coolermaster Storm Scout

Notebook Enthusiast

Wow that loads off! Ok great that gives me some confidence, though I doubt I'll be able to get as much as my total costs is like £730 so if I can get £150 off I'll be happy!

Mangekyo Sharingan

cool, tell us how it goes and what methods you used.
    My Laptops :

Notebook Enthusiast

I thought I would update you on how it went, please note that a lot of what I tell the guy is not exactly the truth, but hey he's was a sales guy, he knows the deal, hehe:

I called Dell's sales team and told them that I was interested in purchasing the XPS M1530 however I had seen a HP Pavillion with the same spec as a bit of a lower price. I also said that I was a fan of Dell computers however the original £729 was outside of my bugdet.

The sales guy gave me the expected line of "this is an already reduced price with free shipping" he also said the HP contains a ATI GPU with a lower spec and encorraged me to research it myself if I was unsure.

I explained to him that I had performed thorough research in advance of calling and that the product that I was interested in, was a next to identical spec.

At this point he explained to me that as Dell are a manafacturer they are able to offer the cheapest prices, hense why it is already reduced and that he could not drop the price.

I then suggested that I would have to pass on the product and purchase the HP and said it was a shame as I had perviously had purchased an Dell desktop. He then changed his tone and said "oh well I can run that past my manager and see what I can do" as I was an existing cutomer (it is actually true although not for years!). He then returned and asked for my address to check, strangely there was no record of this but he said that he would "take my word for it" and could offer me it at £699.

I stressed this was still out of my budget and that I was sorry for waisting him time. He then asked me to hold, after 30 seconds he returned with a final offer of a 10% off the total price. I said that this is tempting however was still a little steap for me.

I then (feeling rather cheeky at this point) said that I would meet him in the middle. I suggested that as he could not drop the price, if he would include a carry case and a bluetooth mouse I would purchase it then and there.

After a little more time on hold he agreed and I completed the purchase.

Therefore the total reduction was:

10% off the already reduced price
    Free carry case
    Free bluetooth mouse

I would recomend to anyone thinking of buying a Dell to use this approach as it was very successful for me.

Thank you to everyone that assisted me through my pre-purchase desision process, all of your advice was greatly recieved and has been much appreciated.

Mangekyo Sharingan

cool glad you got what you wanted.

i would do this for the m1730, but i just cant haggle and i dont like talking to people i dont know on the phone. which is ashame. i missed out on a Ebay m1730, for less then £900 (with shipping) by something like £30 which was annoying, gonna have to keep trying.
    My Laptops :

Did you not perhaps consider the outlet store? Example:

INSPIRON XPS M1530 (System Identifier. 09AM1F0W)
    CORE 2 DUO T8100 2.10GHz
    System Price £479.69

Memory: 3.0GB MB (1X2GB + 1X1GB) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Disk Drive: 320GB HD SATA (5400rpm)
    Video: ASSY, BASE 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT
    NoteBook Screen: 15.4 WXGA (1280x800) with Truelife
    CD Read-Write Drive: 8xDVD+/-RW Slim Slot-Load Drive, including SW

Anyone ever talked a price down from the Outlet Store? Is it possible / Advice? I don't suppose this is something you can just say you're tempted to get another laptop cause its so cheap in the first place. But it I could get something like this at this price with an extended warranty i'd snap it up asap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast