Quantcast how to condition a new battery

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default how to condition a new battery

New Laptop .. which means new Battery

what is the best way to treat it ..

use it until the very bottom of the battery then charge it ..

can i use the computer and have the battery plugged in .. is this bad for it ..
    yada yada .. any tips to make the battery last as long as i can ..

thanx

NBR Reviewer

The new batteries are Li-ion and do not have memory's thus they do not ned to be conditioned. However, if you are going to have your laptop plugged in for extended periods of time several days or more, you will want to take it out to help it last longer.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 22,856

Notebook Enthusiast

LiIon batteries only last 500 charges, after that their usability greatly decreases with each charge.

to first condition the battery i think the manual says fully charge and discharge it at least 3 times.

battery in our out doesnt make a difference according to dell because the sensor in the laptop keeps the battery from charging all the time. it will only charge when it needs to.

Notebook Evangelist

Most laptop batteries come pre-conditioned. If the battery is not, it's usually 'deactivated' by a sticker or plastic tab that prevents the leads on the battery from making contact with the leads in the machine. You can condition a Lithium Ion battery but you need a machine or device capable. The conditioning process is usually a full discharge, 80% full charge, 20% trickle charge; it's meant to provide the maximum use. Years ago you used to be able to find 3rd party cell phone battery charges that used that charging cycle. I haven't seen one advertised recently and I've never seen such a unit for laptop batteries.

I agree qith Quickster, if you're going to use your machine on the ac block for an extended period, take the battery out. The battery will discharge itself over time. If you leave the battery in and have the ac block plugged in, the battery will keep recharging itself when it hits a certain level and will unneccesarily shorten its life.

Notebook Evangelist

quote:
    Originally posted by Big Calhoun
    [br]. . .If you leave the battery in and have the ac block plugged in, the battery will keep recharging itself when it hits a certain level and will unneccesarily shorten its life.

And produce unneeded heat.

Sony GRT270-16.1" UXGA; P4 2.8GHz; 1GB RAM; 80GB HD; DVD+-RW; 64MB Geforce 5600; XP Pro

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

Notebook Enthusiast

I tried removing my battery on my new Acer TM291Lmi, because I leave it plugged in most of the time. After unplugging it, I tried to shut down the computer, and it gave me an error then rebooted. I guess this means that if the power cord gets yanked somehow without the battery in it, I lose everything