Can anyone recommend a good multi purpose low noise laptop weighing under 2 kg?
It's important to me that the computer is relatively silent at least in performing ordinary work as writing and using internet. Also it shouldn't get boiling hot as soon as you challenge it.
See details below
Thank you very much,
1) What is your budget?
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
Internet, writing, layout (InDesign)gaming (nothing too fancy, strategy and some roleplaying games)
6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
I will carry it all the time...
7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
Newer roleplaying and strategy games so good graphics but not the most challenging games.
8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
2-3 hours when working on internet and writing
9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
Both is fine
10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows XP or Vista, no mac!
11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?
12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.
d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Somewhat important but not that much
15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
ASAP, and it should last aome years.
16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?
17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
Perhaps the Dell M1330 or the bottom of the Sony SZ series.
Perhaps you could research whether your gaming can be done using an integrated GPU (do your games involve 3D graphics?). One of these makes less heat (and therefore less fan activity) in normal use and, being less powerful, makes less heat under full load.
Since you've given a price in £, do you want a UK keyboard? There is the option of buying a non-Danish keyboard and adding some stickers for local customisation.
I know from experience that one cool and quiet notebook would be the Samsung Q45. However, it's only 12.1". One of these looks good and is very good value (and capable of 5 hours on battery). You can also get the Q45 from notebook.de. There's also the 13.3" Q70 with a dedicated GPU and significantly reduced battery time.
Since I have worked on an almost antique sony the last 1,5 years I hardly know which games I'd end up playing. But usually the games I like are not too demanding so yes maybe integrated GPU might be ok. However, I would like the computer to last some time so it should not be outdated already after a year.
I gave the prize in £ since Danish Kroner are unknown to most people and £ are the easiest to convert
So I do need a Danish keyboard.
Unfortunatley Sony doesn't seems to sell their laptops in Denmark, but I'll take a look at the others you suggested. 12" might be ok as well...
TechTarget provides enterprise IT professionals with the information they need to perform their jobs - from developing strategy, to making cost-effective IT purchase decisions and managing their organizations' IT projects - with its network of technology-specific Web sites, events and magazines.