Quantcast Deployed Soldier- Looking for a Portable laptop with a little power under the hood.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Us Deployed Soldier- Looking for a Portable laptop with a little power under the hood.

I've actually used this forum before to buy the current laptop im using now, and you guys were a great help in my purchasing decision. So here i am again asking for your great insights.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1200-1600
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?

b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.
    Buying from the U.s. and it must ship to a APO in Afghanistan. Hopefully the company has a reliable shipping program.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I'm interested in the Dell xps 1330 with the 'BEST' setup, the current sale is very tempting, or the Asus V2s, this laptop has a nice build, alittle more expensive, or any brand similar

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    Basic stuff, word processing, web browsing, music, movies, the occasional game.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    The notebook will be traveling a lot with me, car, plane, and in hand. Lighter the better, but im willing to sacrifice a little weight for performance, I'm not that weak. Try carrying 160lbs on your back over 14Km, go infantry! A light laptop would be a nice change of pace.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    It would be nice to have a laptop that could handle the occasional gaming i would like to do during my down time while traveling with it, such as Call of duty 4 or SC2 when it comes out, but if not thats what the desktop is for, so no big deal.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2hrs+ would be nice. I'm used to low battery life on my laptop, so more the better.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    Must be online, as I'm deployed in Afghanistan.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    XP is good and I'm willing to give windows vista a try, though im confused about the 32 or 64 bit, which do i really need?

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Widescreen
    12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Standard
    none

Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Glossy

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Scale on 1-10, 7

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    I want to buy it within a week, and last for 2-3years

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 200GB?
    120GB or more

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive?
    Dvd is fine.

18) Alittle about my situation....
    I'm currently on month 13 of my 15month tour of duty in Afghanistan , and in preparation for returning to the States, i would like a nice portable and semi-powerful laptop. Currently im typing on a 17" Clevo M570u laptop. This laptop has been great, it does everything i want, and plays all the games i want( Lan games of COD4, has really made the time pass by here), it truely has served me well this deployment. But when i get back from this deployment, i'm going to build myself another Desktop for all my power needs and i would like to just have a nice 13-14" laptop for the go. And after carrying this powerhouse all around afghanistan, i've realized i really want something more portable to make my trips a little easier, as i will be doing a lot of traveling when i get back, also to and from work.

Well i already found someone to buy this laptop, and that's the reason i would like to get my next laptop as soon as possible, so i have a laptop when i get home. I've done some research on a few laptops and found 2 that stood out the most, as indicated above. But i've noticed both laptops warrent a little concern.

First the Dell XPS m1330, has a few problems i.e. screen, whine, and build issues, which i found could be a hit or miss. It wouldnt be so much of an issue if i was back in the states, and i could address the problem alittle more easily than out here, obviously. I still have 2.5months out here and say i get the Dell in a months time, if there is a problem with it, ill be stuck with a defective product for the remainder of my deployment. And would it be too late to contact Dell and resolve the issue once i return? I've never owned a Dell so i don't really know how they work. I dont know how the Dell warrenty work while i'm out here, but once i return to NC it shouldnt be a problem, right? I do plan to call Dell and maybe they can address some of these issues, but for now id like to get as much input as possible.

Now the Asus i actually stumbled across on the www.widowpc.com site. It was thier 14.4" gaming laptop, the Sting 414, i'm guessing relatively new since there has been no reviews on it. After hours of trying to identify the ODM laptop, i found out it was really the Asus V2 series laptop, which orginally built for mainly business purposes, but apperently widowpc thinks otherwise. Widowpc was selling that laptop for $2300+ but i found a similar build on www.newegg.com for $1599 on sale. Now i couldnt find a site that had a barebones of the asus v2, or maybe i just didnt look hard enough, and widowpc didnt leave much room for changes, and what gaming laptop comes with windows vista Business anyways? But like i said Gaming isnt a major consideration when i purchase a laptop, it would just be nice, and this laptop seems like it has the power im looking for. The Asus V2s wasnt as throughly reviewed as the xps m1330, but from what i saw, the screen could have been better, the battery life isnt as great, and it has possible driver issues with its video card(?).

I just need a push in the right direction, or directed to another product that i totally over looked. Do i really need a dedicated graphics card in my laptop? I guess i could really do with out it, i just like the option to be able to run a few games, just for entertainment sake.

Thanks again for all your help.

Forum Moderator

Default Re: Deployed Soldier- Looking for a Portable laptop with a little power under the hood.

A Sony SZ could be an option...you can switch between its X3100 (integrated) and 8400GS (dedicated) its good looking, aluminum chassis and a great screen.

If glossy screen dont matter too much, the D630 and the HP 6910p are both excellent and well build business notebooks.

Hope this helps.

MYK

Default Re: Deployed Soldier- Looking for a Portable laptop with a little power under the hood.

I wouldn't recommend an SZ without trying out it's keyboard first. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of Afghanistan with a keyboard that I can't bare.

Forum Moderator

I am recommending it because I have tried it

You can't exactly compare a TP keyboard to a SZ's...-.-

MYK

LOL, I know what you mean. But seriously, with the sz, you either love it or hate it I have a friend that actually prefers it over tps.

Notebook Consultant

The Dell XPS would be my first choice out of the two. Its cheaper with the same base configuration as the SZ(granted the SZ has some additional bells and whistles), and with that extra money you can buy the warranty. I have seen personally how good the XPS warranty is. The Sony SZ's are nice because they come with hybrid graphics to save battery life but as someone has already said, they keyboards are a bit different. Bottom line is that the Dell XPS is will give you, in my opinion, the most bang for your buck while giving options for better batteries and a really good warranty. The XPS gives you 2.0ghz and up as well as an 8400 gs, both of those should give you enough power to game on moderate levels as well as enjoy a fast computer. To answer your questions about 64 and 32 bit, stick with 32. Being that you are deployed, drivers should just work for you, and 64 bit often times requires additional drivers, and in some cases there are not any drivers at all for some devices.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...tab=bundlestab
    The 1199$ one has a good configuration.

Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MYK View Post
    LOL, I know what you mean. But seriously, with the sz, you either love it or hate it I have a friend that actually prefers it over tps.
    Now thats just weird TP keyboards are just unmatchable hehehe

thanks for your advice, i'm leaning more towards the xps m1330 now, but i will look into the sony sz. It's just so hard for me to call out from here, timing has to be just right, with the type of internet availible out here.

Notebook Evangelist

The m1330 would be my recommendation, obviously.

You should just wait until you're stateside; both systems in my signature took only one week to arrive. By then, the Penryns will be out in full force and the price should be about the same; maybe SSDs will be more affordable and you could pick up one of those as well.
    Lenovo Ideapad U330- 4gb DDR3, WiFi 5300, Superslim BluRay burner.
    XPS m1330
    Inspiron 1520

I recently posted a thread all about the xps 1330 or the sony sz... lots of people weighed in, you might want to check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast