Quantcast Acer vs. Dell or HP or Toshiba

Closed Thread

Default Acer vs. Dell or HP or Toshiba

Hi,
    I just want to buy a laptop in the 14inch size. I was wondering if anybody has had a bad experience with Acer or Toshiba...Are they any different from Dell or HP? Someone was telling me the only difference is who puts the parts together but overall, all these brands have the same componenets and it makes no difference whatsoever which one to buy.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    thanks

Notebook Nut

Default Re: Acer vs. Dell or HP or Toshiba

Quote Originally Posted by bobby.gol View Post
    Hi,
    I just want to buy a laptop in the 14inch size. I was wondering if anybody has had a bad experience with Acer or Toshiba...
    There are going to be people with bad experiences no matter what brand you ask about.

Hi,
    Are they any different from Dell or HP?
    Yes in some ways

Hi,
    Are they any different from Dell or HP? Someone was telling me the only difference is who puts the parts together but overall, all these brands have the same componenets and it makes no difference whatsoever which one to buy.
    Yes for the most part they use the same parts. For example they will all use Intel or AMD CPUs and nVidia, ATI or Intel GPUs (for the most part anyway). The difference is in the laptop case itself. It's layout of ports, it's thickness, screen size, what it's made out of, etc.
    New Notebook: Google Cr-48 | Current Notebook: Dell Latitude E6400 | Retired Notebooks: Dell XPS M1330, Dell Latitude C600

Notebook Deity

The brand of a laptop is almost completely worthless when comparing between different models.

HP makes very good laptops. They also make junk. Same as Dell, Acer and Toshiba. They all have different models that attempt to compete at different price points.

Personally I wouldn't touch a cheap Dell or HP laptop with a 10 foot pole -- but both companies make top-notch business laptops that cost a little more -- and as you can see, I own one.
    Dell Latitude D830 T7500/Nvidia Quadro 140M 256mb/WUXGA (1920x1200 15.4") LED backlighting/240gb Intel 330 SSD/ 4gb RAM / Win7 Ultimate / 8X DVD-RW /Intel 4965 abgn / Dell Bluetooth 360 / UPEK fingerprint reader / 9-cell battery / Dell U2410 24" LCD / Microsoft Bluetooth Desktop / Jabra BT headset / PR01X docking station

2nd laptop -- Dell Latitude D830 T7700/Intel X3100/WXGA 15.4"/240gb Crucial M500/4gb RAM / Win7 Ultimate or Ubuntu / 8X DVD-RW / Intel 3945 / Dell U2410 24" LCD

Banned

ok Hp is great. Hp owns compaq and voodoo pc's. Hp is an overall great company. Dell, not so much except for alienware. If you want a huge circular logo and adware, dell is the way to go. Acer offers high specs for low prices, at the expense of looks. They are clam like and mostly all white. Toshiba is also great.

I got a compaq laptop and it is obsolete within 8 months

get an alienware area-51

ignore pitz hp makes GREAT laptops if you customize them just dont get ANYTHING cheap
    Last edited by Sir Travis D; 1st January 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Notebook Nut

If you want help on what you should buy fill out the FAQ.
    New Notebook: Google Cr-48 | Current Notebook: Dell Latitude E6400 | Retired Notebooks: Dell XPS M1330, Dell Latitude C600