Quantcast Laptop for boxing day.

Closed Thread

Ca Laptop for boxing day.

START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Hmm, I would say MAXIMUM 1000$ taxes included.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

As long as it has the features I'm looking for, I don't really mind the brand.

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

Multi-task for a student (Internet, word and excel documents, movies, MSN, etc.)

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

I may take it often to the university.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

Hmm not really new games, but I plan to have at least a 128 dedicated graphic card to maximise my investment.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

3 hours and above.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

No

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

I would go with XP if I have the choice. If it comes with Vista and bloatware like HP laptops, I'll just reformat, not an issue.

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

Widescreen

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

and above.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Glossy would be nice, but not important issue.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not really

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

Max in 2 weeks and I expect it to last for at least 3 years.

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 200GB?

Not an issue also, 120 GB is okay, I could add an external hard drive later on.

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive?

DVD burner with DL.

==========
    END COPY

Please state any additional features you need. It's also helpful if you can indicate how experienced you are with computers. If you're a novice and don't know how to answer some questions just say so!

I would like 2GB ABSOLUTELY. I don't want to be trapped and have to update RAM after. I consider myself above then the average-very experienced user.

Also, I am a BestBuy employee, so any BB/FS deals would be great for me as I may consider getting the PSP half price. If not, I won't take it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lallous; 24th December 2007 at 02:39 PM.

ZaZ
    Super Model

Default Re: Laptop for boxing day.

If you plan to carry this around often, you may wish to go with a smaller screen since you are planning to getting the lowest resolution screen anyway. It will be more portable in my experience.

If you aren't planning on gaming I think getting the dedicated card is a waste of money. After three years of use, the graphics cards will be so old that it won't increase the value of your machine very much if any at all. A dedicated card also drains the battery more quickly and runs hotter.

Something like the ThinkPad R61 will offer you better quality and you can get it with a glossy screen though I don't know if you can get it under your budget in Canada.

Business Notebook FTW!!

You could check HP Pavilion DV6645 out. But it comes with AMD Turion64 X2 1.90GHz instead of C2D, 2GB RAM DVDRW and geforce 7150M.

look at this, it is in the boxing day sale listed as "minimum 2 per store" so you would have to get out early tomorrow to get one..

but! it absolutely suits every criteria you listed and is a pretty great deal I think.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...xedCode=WW&=&=

OMG, th0rbahn, that some crazy deal ! It's OOS online as usual. I can't go to Staples tomorrow because guess what... I am working @ bestbuy this day. I can't enjoy the deals unless I send a friend or a parent to wait for me. They would probably have maximum 2-3 in stock at this price and they would be gone in 2 mins.

I checked the 14.1" and they are rather too small, I found them a bit annoying because I am used to my desktop with my wide 22". 17" are way to huge to carry, so that's why I chose a 15". Thanks for the tip about dedicated graphic card. I'll let it go then.

Could you please check this page : http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/dept.a...EN&catid=20352
    and tell me would be a great deal to get ? The Toshiba A-200-12v or the DV6618ca from HP ? They are both listed @ 799$ CAN. Their price could be lower then that ? Also, Bestbuy has also some "hidden" deals in stores that they don't advertize, so maybe other laptops would be on sale.