Quantcast Looking for a laptop that can play games. Not a gaming laptop.

Closed Thread

Us Looking for a laptop that can play games. Not a gaming laptop.

Here's the catch. I don't want to spend too much. Under $900 would be great. Under $800 would be even greater. If you said you could get me something for what I need it for for under $700? Holy **** I love you! It just has to be able to do the things I want it to do.

First off... I really don't want Vista. If I get a computer and it has Vista is it possible to create a second partition on the drive and install a second OS like XP or Ubuntu? I don't want to play and won't be able to play (probably any games that require DX9 so Vista is not attractive to me in any way shape or form.

The kinds of things I'll be doing with my laptop: Managing music and videos on my various collection of MP3 players. Converting videos ripping CDs and DVDs. This is important. If I can get a computer that can do this quickly that would be awesome.

One of the more unique things that I'd be using the computer for however is audio production. It needs to be stable! I need it to be reliable and perform well with a program like Adobe Audition. Also a lot of word processing so a nice keyboard would be good.

I like to be able to cozy up on my bed and play emulators like epsxe or PJ64 but I also want to be play some relatively newer games like Oblivion or Half Life 2 on middle of the road settings. Nothing too fancy with all the settings turned up and so fourth. So long as it looks good.

I'd like a nice battery life and for the thing to not weigh 20lbs. I don't need a massive wide screen display. I know I don't have the pick of the liter in this department but I want the best I can get in my price range for what I'll use it for.

I appreciate everyones advice in advance. I really don't know where to begin. This will be the first computer I buy myself as opposed to having it given to me.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Looking for a laptop that can play games. Not a gaming laptop.

Under $900? I'd start by trying to config either a Dell Inspiron 1520 or Vostro 1500 - I'm pretty sure they both have pretty good deals going on right now. The 15.4" models are typically cheaper than the 14.1" and 17" displays, and are portable while still being large enough to play games and watch movies.

If you plan on playing games like Half Life 2 or Oblivion, I'd recommend getting either the Nvidia 8400gs or 8600gt, which usually will cost you $100/$200. With your budget you may have to settle for the 8400.

Both the Vostro and Inspiron notebooks offer Windows XP instead of Vista, but if you already have a Windows XP cd I'd personally get Vista and dual-partition the hard drive so you can run both.

If you want good battery life, make the upgrade from 6-cell to 9-cell, which should boost battery life by at least an hour. You may also want to make the upgrade to a CD/DVD burner drive for approx $40, and get the WXGA+ (1440x900) screen for $50 which looks really nice.

1gb ram is sufficient for XP, but you'll need 2gb if you ever want to use Vista. I'd also recommend getting an Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (2.0ghz) processor if you don't want your laptop getting outdated too fast. You'll definitely see a difference in performance over an Intel T5250 (1.5ghz). Finally you'll have to choose between a 5400 or 7200 rpm hard drive. 7200 is more expensive, but loads data faster. A 5400 rpm hard drive is probably good enough for you (the size is up to you; personally I don't need more than 160gb).

I've had a good experience with Dell in the past, but you may also want to consider a HP or Asus computer. I've heard good things about both of those companies' laptops.

Forum Moderator

Yup i'll 2nd that! you can config a Vostro with XP from dell

&200rpm are very good indeed but there is a downside to everythig it does give you less battery life also you might find it noisy sometmes

So what kind of configuration would I need to play a game like HL2 or Oblivion on say... medium settings?

Forum Moderator

8400GS.....for HL2 (probably high actually) but a 8600GT should play med-high in oblivion.

Should I use a coupon for this purchase?

I won't be able to afford this for a couple weeks so... if I wait will all the coupons expire? How often to new coupons appear usually do you think?

C'thulhu fhtagn

Quote Originally Posted by lemurs View Post
    Should I use a coupon for this purchase?

I won't be able to afford this for a couple weeks so... if I wait will all the coupons expire? How often to new coupons appear usually do you think?
    Definitely. If they're giving you a discount, why not take it?

Dell has coupons coming in pretty often, so if you wait for a deal, you'll usually be able to grab one.

I think if I can get the one I'm thinking of for $850 rather than $100 that's pretty awesome!