Quantcast Best processor speed/type for streaming video app

Closed Thread

Default Best processor speed/type for streaming video app

I will be purchasing two notebooks to use as a demonstration system. I will be streaming full screen digital video (movies, standard DTV now, potentially HD but not a must now) from one notebook to the other. I have not shopped notebooks in four years so everything is new. I see many systems with 1.2-1.8 Ghz CPUs, and seem others (though far fewer from my limited perspective so far) with up to 3.3Ghz CPUs. I intend to get 1GB of RAM, and will run XP Media Center OS. I want 15 inch minimum enhanced screens (potentially 17 inch, though I will be traveling with these things). Battery life is not a huge issue as the demos are half an hour or less, but are network, cpu, and graphics intensive. I need reliability and performance. Also, any tips, recommendations on software to stream movies in this manner would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Terry

Notebook Evangelist

The ones you are seeing that are 1.2-2.13 are the Pentium Ms. the 2.8-3.6 are the pentium 4's. Pentium Ms get a lot more battery life, and are about as powerful. The PMs have a bigger l2 cache. To find out what a PM equals as a P4, multiply the processor speed by 1.6. So a 1.83 ghz pm is about equal to a 3.0 ghz p4. Almost every pentium 4 machine has a 17" screen, and weighs ALOT.

If you want to get a 15" screen, i would look at the Asus z71v, the Fujitsu n3510, or possibly the Compal dl70. If you want to get a 17" screen, for the Pentium M ones theres the Dell Insprion 9300. If you wouldn't mind very little battery life and a lot of weight, you could look at the HP zd8000.

happysquidman: Thanks - your reply already helped me immensely as I did not understand the relationship of the processors at all. Worse, I did not even know what I didn't know...

Again, thanks.

Terry