Quantcast Dell Inspiron vs. HP

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seahawk Fan!

Arrow Dell Inspiron vs. HP

okay i have a couple configs..of a dell inspiron 1520 and the 1520..and an HP dv6000z and the dv6500t. I can't really post my configurations here b/c i won't be ordering yet and dell is always changing their promotions or choices of configs. but as far as build quality/reliability which Laptop would be the best. i know there has been stuff like this before posted but i'm asking for my own reasons. all i will be doing is word processing, web browsing, dvd burning, downloading, movie watching music, multitasking (not heavy though) and the only games i will be playing on it will be Halo 1 and Counterstrike. but as far as build quality/reliability..and which one would last me the longest what would you go with? i would like enough opinions to base my answer on..thanks everyone

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Dell Inspiron vs. HP

I would say the Inspiron is a little tougher while the dv6000/6500 is a little lighter (and prettier)

Configured properly they should easily be able to do the things you list. However, neither one is going to be especially durable...they're home/home office notebooks, not business notebooks

Seahawk Fan!

the HP business notebooks are a lil more expensive then configuring a dell vostro..but my hubby really likes the look of the inspirons..but i would like something that is more durable/reliable..don't know what to do

Notebook Evangelist

I've actually heard that the 1520 is better built. There was a side by side review of them somewhere.... I'll try to find it.

Anyways. The HP dv6500t is made of plastic, but it is still a high quality notebook. There is a good amount of flex in the screen, but it won't start making those funky ripples.

For the 1520. The case is magnesium alloy I believe. There is absolutely NO flex in the screen.

As far as build quality goes, I'd take the 1520.
    Join the ROTPOD Gaming forums: http://www.rotpod.net/forum/
    INSPIRON 1520

Notebook Deity

Well, what are you planning to do with your notebook? It's not just going to fall apart...they're both reliable notebooks. If you're on the road constantly or plan to drop it on the ground/spill things on it then you might want a tougher notebook but if you take care of it then you shouldn't have any problems.

If your husband (or you) are traveling a ~lot~ then you might want to think about something tougher rather then prettier

Notebook Consultant

either computer will be able to perform the tasks you want perfectly ... build quality and looks is rather debateable ... and based on your preference. I'd say go down to the local BB or CC and check out the hp's looks/feel, or you could base your decision on price (dell a little cheaper w coupons), but you shouldnt have a big problem with build quality unless you plan on rugged use ... laptops can last years if you treat them right
    dell inspiron 1520

C2D 7300, 8600 GT, 2GB RAM, matte, bluetooth, webcam, 160 GB 7200 rpms, Draft N wireless -- $1050
    Arrived 7/18/07

Seahawk Fan!

no i don't plan on dropping it or anything..and I'd be getting the accidental warranty with both anyways. My husband will be taking it to class but in a backpack everyday. but if he can't use his dragonnaturally speaking program in class then he won't be takin it anywhere..he can't really type that well..LOL. (he's def. great at other things though) okay anyhoo thanks for your help. so the dell and hp are both good quality..and its about a horse a piece as to which one is more durable and reliable??

Notebook Deity

Well, like I said, "reliable" is debateable. They're both going to do everything you want them to do and unless you've the bad luck to end up with a lemon it's unlikely you're going to have any hardware failures throughout the life of the notebook.

I'm ~pretty~ confident that the Inspiron is a little more durable but I've not seen (or engaged in) durability tests for either notebook. I'd say that if your husband likes the appearance and style of the Dell then there's really no reason to get the HP over it. You can probably get it for a better price then the HP too.

Seahawk Fan!

not really..i configured the HP's and the Dell's yesterday just to see which one would come out cheaper. but now its hard to say b/c dell is always changing their promotions/configs..so by the time i can get one who knows what they'll have. Thanks everyone..so i guess its pretty much the same as far as durablity/reliability?

Notebook Consultant

if your that concerned ab build quality -- maybe look into the latitudes ... but if comparing the 1520 vs hp6500 series, I prefer the 1520 build quality (durability) with a stronger chassis to the somewhat less sturdy hp's chassis (this is my opinion and may/may not be a general consensus)

dells prices should be cheaper after the applying coupons to lower price for comparable specs (unless you are only getting the basic specs)
    dell inspiron 1520

C2D 7300, 8600 GT, 2GB RAM, matte, bluetooth, webcam, 160 GB 7200 rpms, Draft N wireless -- $1050
    Arrived 7/18/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast