Quantcast Durable laptop (D830, HP8510p, T61p, NP2090)

View Poll Results: Which laptop?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dell 830

9 25.71%
  • HP 8510p

6 17.14%
  • Lenovo T61p

10 28.57%
  • Sager NP2090

10 28.57%
  • Other

0 0%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBR Reviewer

Us Durable laptop (D830, HP8510p, T61p, NP2090)

1) What is your budget?
    ~2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
    b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Mainstream

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

Buying in US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I don't want a macbook pro since I had to return several bad ones already.

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

Basic tasks mainly like surfing the net, typing, etc.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

Mainly at my desk

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

Starcraft 1 and 2 when it comes out

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

The more the better

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

Don't mind buying online

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

XP

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

Widescreen

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Standard
    a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
    b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
    c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

WXGA, WXGA+

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Don't care

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Mildly

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

5-6 years

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 200GB?

At least 100
    17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?

Would like DVD-RW

Okay, now that that's out of the way time to get down to business. The main thing I'm looking for in this laptop is being able to last 5-6 years. By last for 5-6 years, I mean that the system won't break down. I know it will be out-dated at that point. In other words, build quality is vital. The secondary concern is being able to run Starcraft II when it comes out. I know no one knows what the requirements will be though. Right now I've narrowed down my choices to the Dell 830, HP 8510p, waiting for a lower screen resolution on the T61p, and the Sager NP2090. Although I don't necessarily have a company preference, with Dell's I've only seen people with horrible experiences throughout college. However, I'm assuming this is because they got the non-business class Dells. Also, I have no idea if/when Lenovo will come out with a lower resolution screen. If people recommend the T61p, I wouldn't mind waiting. The same applies to the HP since that doesn't have a confirmed release date (I think). Lastly, the Sager looks appealing because it seems like an excellent bang-for-your-buck, but I have no idea about Sager's build quality. Actually, I have practically no knowledge about Sager beyond what was in the FAQ here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by jin07; 20th July 2007 at 02:00 AM.

NBR Reviewer

Default Re: Durable laptop (D830, HP8510p, T61p, NP2090)

Thanks for the votes so far, but could anyone verbally explain which one is better?

The Assassin

I definitely go for the Thinkpad....

The name Thinkpad is legend of the history of technology, many true stories has proved it's quality, no one would doubt it's durable...

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jin07 View Post
    The main thing I'm looking for in this laptop is being able to last 5-6 years. In other words, build quality is vital. The secondary concern is being able to run Starcraft II when it comes out.
    Dell should last you long enough - 5-6 year sounds like an unlikely long time to be using it (might want to check this out with a new thread for the oldest in-service laptops) - but it should definitely last you long enough.

As for your gaming needs, its not it.

Also, check out the Precision M4300 if you have the juice - its an enhanced D830 - improved graphics.
    Last edited by Prabhash; 20th July 2007 at 01:14 AM. Reason: orrection and addition
    Pbonly
    Macbook Air 11" Corei5, 4GB, 128GB

Business Notebook FTW!!

T61p with widescreen and quadro gracphic card is good choice.

The Bad Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Prabhash View Post
    Also, check out the Precision M4300 if you have the juice - its an enhanced D830 - improved graphics.
    The Quadro NVS 140 and the Quadro FX 360M are the same card with just different BIOS and drivers. Sorry to disappoint. The notebooks are almost the some too, and considering that he doesn't need OpenGL drivers, it would be waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by jin07
    WXGA, WXGA+
    The T61p will never be available with any of these resolutions. It's only WUXGA, and they may offer a WSXGA+ screen some day...

Now, of you can wait for the HP 8510p, then fine, otherwise, the Compal IFL90 (Sager NP2090) has good build quality, not up to the level of the business-class notebooks but still good, and it will have the resolutions that you want.
    Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price.
    - Sun Tzu

NBR Reviewer

I'd settle for a wsxga+, I just don't want a wuxga.

The Bad Boy

The Asus V1s is another business-class notebook that you can think of, it's WSXGA+ glossy with the 8600M GT, it's not yet though.

Again, if you are not in hurry, then I would wait for the HP 8510p or Asus V1s and see reviews and so on... I hope they will be out before Christmas..lol ... they should be out soon (this word is relative)

Also, you said you will be using this notebook "mainly at my desk", so the Compal is a good choice too, features like magnesium alloy chassis/lid, hdd shocks and so on... which business notebooks have matter when you carry your notebook around, otherwise, you won't benefit from them so much. The other cons are that it's thicker and heavier (which doesn't matter in your case) and the keyboard will be consumer level (judging from the previous Compal).
    Last edited by Dreamer; 21st July 2007 at 06:38 AM.
    - Sun Tzu

Notebook Deity

I voted D 830. Magnesium case, 3 year warranty standard, nice keyborad with a pointing stick, good battery life, display resolution options that better suit your preferences. There are things I liked better about the t 61 (keyboard, size/weight, appearance), but I personally would avoid it having been there done that. Poor display, repeatedly horrid customer service from lenovo- in my experience & imo only, YMMV.

The Bad Boy

I recommend against the D830 due to the simple fact that the Quadro NVS 140M isn't a great card for gaming and since you want to keep this notebook for a long time and you said that you play games, then I'm sure there will be new games that you will want to play in the future.... and the NVS 140M will not be sufficient for that.

And, I would not avoid Lenovo since they offer excellent build quality, excellent support, and very good displays - that's from my experience with them.

However, if you have bad luck you may join to the Leon2245's club. Also, if you can get a crappy Samsung screen with Lenovo, then the same can happen with Dell, considering that they often use the same suppliers. (For example: T60 and the D820 had the same screens.)

Honestly, that game is getting old... Leon2245. Also, when you're saying that the display is poor, then at least tell us, which exactly is the poor display?...talking about the T61p in here...the OP isn't interested in other Lenovo notebooks.
    - Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast