10 28.57%
  • Sager NP2090

10 28.57%
  • Other

0 0%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Re: Durable laptop (D830, HP8510p, T61p, NP2090)

More specifically, my t 61's display was bright and had good contrast, but beyond unacceptable viewing angles and light leakage. There was no angle you could position it at that would render a completely clean display- there was either a sheen at the top or bottom depending on the angle. Dark screens had a huge arc of light shining from the bottom of the display. This is compared to any other notebook lcd I've ever owned, including vaios, toshibas, and a z series thinkpad (whos display was fine- just didn't last 2 years); Even a crappy emachines desktop monitor- I've never seen the like before on an lcd.

This is a video of the display on RedBarron's t 61 (and he got the "good" one lol). Mine was actually quite a bit worse: poor display video.

(FYI I'll not address personal attacks based on disagreement with my opinions. I understand and respect that others might have a different experience with different units, tastes, and standards).

The Bad Boy

See, I don't have any problems with you nor with you opinion/experience. Also, it's personal in any way.

But then again, you did not answer my question, which screen... size? resolution? also what's the manufacturer of this screen?... it's not Lenovo trust me...lol.. j/k
    Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price.
    - Sun Tzu

Notebook Deity

t 61, 14.1", wxga+, samsung.

The Bad Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Leon2245 View Post
    t 61, 14.1", wxga+, samsung.
    Thank you. The thing that I wanted to make clear for the OP and others that read this thread is that the part about the poor screen in your post is not exactly connected with this thread, since he is looking for a 15.4" notebook and asking about the 15.4" T61p, which is only available with a WUXGA screen now.

Otherwise, the crappy Samsung screens have history in both Lenovo and Dell sections, so that's nothing new... it sucks I know.
    - Sun Tzu

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The Quadro NVS 140 and the Quadro FX 360M are the same card with just different BIOS and drivers. Sorry to disappoint. The notebooks are almost the some too, and considering that he doesn't need OpenGL drivers, it would be waste of money.
    You have my attention. I am deciding between the two model, maybe you can like to have a look here http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...14#post2770714
    and give me your opinion on the 4 options...
    I understand what you say about the 140M, but if I configure the two models with same everything, the m4300 costs me just 60 euro more.
    I have to configure the d830 with a wxga and 140m, or a wsxga+ and 135m, to save more money and give a sense to this preference. But I do not know if the wxga matte has got too bad viewing angle and can have too little res. for some things, or if the 135m can be insufficient in the future (i want the notebook to resist in time not only fisically, but also respect to the always growing standard).
    Let me know please...

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Leon2245 View Post
    More specifically, my t 61's display was bright and had good contrast, but beyond unacceptable viewing angles and light leakage. There was no angle you could position it at that would render a completely clean display- there was either a sheen at the top or bottom depending on the angle. Dark screens had a huge arc of light shining from the bottom of the display. This is compared to any other notebook lcd I've ever owned, including vaios, toshibas, and a z series thinkpad (whos display was fine- just didn't last 2 years); Even a crappy emachines desktop monitor- I've never seen the like before on an lcd.

This is a video of the display on RedBarron's t 61 (and he got the "good" one lol). Mine was actually quite a bit worse: poor display video.

(FYI I'll not address personal attacks based on disagreement with my opinions. I understand and respect that others might have a different experience with different units, tastes, and standards).
    Same exact thing with my T61 screen. Display is as bad as I've seen. Lenovo insists on charging me 15% to return the notebook. It's a 15.4" T61 WXGA w/Nividia 140.

However, I think it's important to keep in mind that doesn't mean every T61 WXGA screen is necessarily problematic. Some are probably great. Dell typically sources from the same lcd makers as Lenovo. The NBR review of the D630 mentions colors being washed out and the D830's owners thread here has multiple mentions of bad backlight bleed. Samsung and LG are to blame for some of the poor screens they make. However, and this overrides all else for me, Lenovo wants a 15% restocking fee(and shipping costs) for me to return a product with a clearly inferior screen. I believe that HP and Dell do not charge a restocking fee. If Lenovo did the same, I would endorse them as I really like the computer except for the screen. They don't, though, and so I can't.

Notebook Virtuoso

I spent a few weeks trying to decide between the ThinkPad T61p and the Dell Latitude D830. I read this and several other forums to see what people were saying about them. I also talked to a buddy of mine who is head of IT for a large company.

The benefits of the Dell- to most, it is a bit more aethestically pleasing than the ThinkPad which looks a lot like it did before the turn of the century. It also has a 3-year warranty standard.

The ThinkPad T61p- arguably the best screen display options in the business, more powerful graphics card, the 'perfect' keyboard according to multiple reviews and a reliability track record right up there with Toyota.

I decided on the ThinkPad but my decision was largely influenced by a friend's offer to use her IBM Employee Discount. I didn't realize that Lenovo continued to offer EPP discounts for IBM, but luckily they do! An additional 15% off the current sale price and I ended up with a T61p with XP Pro, T7500, 2GB RAM, 160GB @ 7200rpm HD and a few other goodies for $1300. I just ordered last week and haven't received it yet, but am anxiously awaiting my new 'toy'. Merry Christmas to me.

The hp Compaq 8510p is overpriced in comparison to the Dell and ThinkPad. To prove a point, and because I obviously have way too much time on my hands, I just configured all three to the same specs and got the following results-

Dell Latitude D8330- $1547
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61p- $1618
    Sager NP2090- $1748
    HP Compaq 8510p- $2034

The first three are competitive, but the HP is almost $500 more than a Dell Latitude with same hardware and software specs. I also should note that the HP and Dell come with standard three year warranties while the same coverage for Lenovo is $119 and Sager it's $139. If you absolutely would not buy an extended warranty, the prices of both of those would be significantly lower. I must admit a slight aversion to hp after buying a Pavilion dv9000t earlier this year that ran hot enough to fry an egg. Tech support was abysmal and it took some strong-arming to get the matter resolved. I can deal with glitches, but expect the maker to see that they are corrected reasonably quickly.

Notebook Prophet

you can get the base model of the t61p with the current coupons for 1050.

It is not just the best its the cheapest.

its down side is the 4 week wait.

g72 bb model momentus xt/hitachi 7k500
    p8700 260 gtx cost : $400
    11219 3dmark 06
    stock 5400.6 in external
    "The best future proofing is keeping dollars in your pocket" - A NBR genious I forgot his name

The Bad Boy

The one who resurrected this 5 months old thread is clearly an idiot, and the others who posted here aren't any better...
    - Sun Tzu

Forum Moderator

lol...I love it when people resurrect old threads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast