Quantcast Laptop Recomendation For Flight Simulator X Please!

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Laptop Recomendation For Flight Simulator X Please!

Hi Men,

I know a good deal about computers but when it comes to all these available options i thought id ask the pros...

Here is what I want to do.

Get a new LAPTOP!

#1 Run flight simulator X close to the max.
    #2 Play music with a DJ mixing program BPM studio.
    #3 Run business related aplications.
    #4 Burn DVDs and CDs as needed.

Battery life, weight are not super important but relavant. I want to spend about $1500.

I saw a few websites offering what I would like. Such as extremenotbooks.com and cyberpowerpc.com but what i liked most was this from discount laptops.com (i customized it some).

--
    Sager NP2090C
    15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) Glossy Type Display
    Intel Core 2 DUO Processor T7500 / 4MB L2 Cache 2.20GHz 800MHz FSB
    Artic Silver 5 (AS5) Thermal CPU Paste Compound
    Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT Express with 512MB Video Memory
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 X 1024MB
    100GB HDD (7200 RPM) SATA 150
    8X DVD±R/RW / 4X+DL Super Multi Drive & Software
    Integrated V.90/56K Modem (V.92 compliant)
    10/100/1000BASE Fast Ethernet Lan
    Intel® 4965AGN 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN
    Smart Li-Ion Battery Pack (9 Cells)
    4-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS PRO/SD/MMC)
    Built-in Fingerprint Reader
    Optional - Intel TurboMemory Module
    Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Digital Video Camera
    Ac Adapter w/ power cord included
    Windows XP Professional Edition
    1-year parts / 1-year labor warranty from Sager
    Lifetime toll-free technical support by calling

--
    1 Based on what I got here do you guys think my flight sim x will run nicely medium to alsmost maxed?

2 Also wondering if these websites mentioned are any good?

3 I kinda want window xp cause i hear vista had some issues. What OS do i get? If xp leaves me more ram do play with should i not get that? Thanks.

Dave
    Last edited by djdaveq; 19th July 2007 at 05:02 AM.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Laptop Recomendation For Flight Simulator X Please!

Quote Originally Posted by djdaveq View Post
    I saw a few websites offering what I would like. Such as extremenotbooks.com and cyberpowerpc.com but what i liked most was this from discount laptops.com (i customized it some).
    First off, that configuration will run Flight Sim X perfectly, probably at or near the max settings. So no need to worry about that. The only thing I would suggest is get a higher resolution screen.

Secondly, I have heard about the first two websites you mention, but not the third. I have never personally ordered anything from those two, but have seen people who have.

And thirdly, the XP vs. Vista question. Really, it just depends on what you are going to be using the laptop for mostly. If you have some older programs that you need to run, do XP because they may have some issues in Vista. Or, if you are ONLY going to play Flight Sim all day, do XP because from what I have heard, XP is the better gaming OS so far. With all that said, Vista can still run Flight Sim of course. I personally would go with Vista, since it is new, and there will be patches out soon to fix lots of issues. If you are just a casual user, go with Vista.

Hope this helps!
    dell xps m1330
    copper mod since September 2009

T9300 / LED with camera / 4 GB DDR2 667 / 120 GB SSD / 320 GB 7200 RPM in Optical Bay / 128 MB NVIDIA 8400M GS
    Intel wireless-N / 9 cell battery / Fingerprint / Bluetooth / Win7 Pro x64

Notebook Enthusiast

Us Re: Laptop Recomendation For Flight Simulator X Please!

ok... thank you...

what do you think about a
    15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) MatteType Display ?

Im not sure if glossy is better for your eyes or not. i tend to think no. Please advise.

Also i just want to make sure I can hook my laptop up to my samsung 40 inch lcd and fly with the same clarity as my computer screen...

lastly when it says on some of the NVida graphics caards.. "essential vista" what does that mean? Does it mean it can only run vista? I hope not cause i think i want XP i got to many programs i need..
    Thanks.

Notebook Evangelist

Im not sure if glossy is better for your eyes or not. i tend to think no. Please advise.

Also i just want to make sure I can hook my laptop up to my samsung 40 inch lcd and fly with the same clarity as my computer screen...

lastly when it says on some of the Nvidia graphics caards.. "essential vista" what does that mean? Does it mean it can only run vista? I hope not cause i think i want XP i got to many programs i need..
    Thanks.
    I don't know about the different types of LCD's being better for your eyes, I only know that Glossy type screens reflect alot of the light in your environment. So, if you work in a cubicle in an office with lots of fluorescent lights, glossy is not the way to go. However, glossy screens do have more vibrant colors and therefore movies and games look better on glossy screens. Matte LCDs, on the other hand, are better for office documents and such. They do not have as vibrant colors as glossy screens, but they do not reflect hardly any light around you, so you can see the screen easier.

As for the 40" Samsung screen, I am pretty sure that the 8600GT will be able to handle the output for that, however, you need to see if the Samsung has a VGA or DVI or HDMI input, and make sure that your laptop has that same output. With a DVI or HDMI output, you will get a better picture (since those ports are digital ports) whereas the VGA port is analog, and not as good picture.

Lastly, the "essential vista" labeling means only that the card was designed during the beginning of Vista. If the card was designed when XP first came out, it would have a similar branding mark of "essential XP" or something like that. That said, Nvidia has drivers available for just about every single operating system available. Here is the link to the driver for XP for the 8600GT video card:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_158.22.html

EDIT: The 1680x1050 screen makes things on your desktop and in all of your programs smaller, so just make sure that you are able to see small text and get used to it. Just to let you know, most 15.4" laptops today have a 1280x800 screen. I was only suggesting the higher resolution screen because in my opinion, playing games at 1280x800 is not as good as I like it. Remember, that is only my opinion, and you really have to decide for yourself whether or not you would like the smallness of the 1680x1050 screen.
    Last edited by kozzney; 19th July 2007 at 07:10 PM.
    dell xps m1330

T9300 / LED with camera / 4 GB DDR2 667 / 120 GB SSD / 320 GB 7200 RPM in Optical Bay / 128 MB NVIDIA 8400M GS

Notebook Consultant

Hey djdaveq, I dropped you a PM. Make sure you check it out..

For everyone else reading the thread,
    I said to djdaveq that my ASUS C90S from gentechpc is arriving at my house tomorrow. I am going to install Vista Ultimate 32 bit and update all the drivers and stuff with those found on these forums. After those are done, I am going to install FSX Deluxe version. I will let you guys know how it performs on my C90. It will(should) perform better on the C90 than on the 2090/IFL90 because it runs the more powerful Conroe desktop processor. The screen on the C90 is a 1680x1050 and has been said to be perfect. The price is also comparable with the 2090/IFL90. The only downfall as of yet(that would be seen as a downfall) is the battery life. Some say the performance is lackluster but the newer drivers are improving on that.
    ThinkPad T510 | i5-540M | 4GB | 320GB 7200 | 15.6" HD+ | Intel 6200 | W7 Pro 64 | #! Linux 10 | 9 Cell

Still going strong with 5000+ hours!

Notebook Enthusiast

QUOTE FROM ABOVE::

The 1680x1050 screen makes things on your desktop and in all of your programs smaller, so just make sure that you are able to see small text and get used to it. Just to let you know, most 15.4" laptops today have a 1280x800 screen. I was only suggesting the higher resolution screen because in my opinion, playing games at 1280x800 is not as good as I like it. Remember, that is only my opinion, and you really have to decide for yourself whether or not you would like the smallness of the 1680x1050 screen.

---

Thanks so much guys for your help so far... Im a little confused about the screen resolution now. Even though the max is 1680x1050 on this one cant i just make it lower in the settins so my other apps will look normal, and if i play a game that needs to be higher res i can do it that way? Please advise im so close to buyen i can smell the flight attendants apporaching my flight deck already!

Dave

Notebook Evangelist

Thanks so much guys for your help so far... Im a little confused about the screen resolution now. Even though the max is 1680x1050 on this one cant i just make it lower in the settins so my other apps will look normal, and if i play a game that needs to be higher res i can do it that way? Please advise im so close to buyen i can smell the flight attendants apporaching my flight deck already!
    NO! If you make the resolution lower on a 1680x1050 screen, all your text will look blurry and distorted. The way that LCD panels work, they need to be at their "native" resolution in order to have the clearest picture, because that resolution is what they were designed for. I would advise you to get a lower resolution screen if you are worried about your other applications; your games will still look good on a lower resolution, you just won't be able to see as much stuff around your airplane/soldier/alien guy.
    dell xps m1330

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks a million for your help!!

ok heres what im up to men.. I contaced discount laptops to see if the 2090 has a digital out for my hdtv. Accord to the rep it does not. (thats wierd cause the nvidia 512 gpu says it has one) anyway she says the cheapest one they got with a dvi out for my FS X game is the Sager NP5790C this costs more than i wanted to spend the screen resolution on this 17 inch is 1680 x 1050.....

QUESTION 1.
    NOW IS THAT EVEN SMALLER AS WE TALKED ABOUT ABOVE? OR DOES IT LOOK EQUAL TO THE 15 INCH 1280 X 800 ?

This laptop the way i want it costs $2208 like this:

Sager NP5790C
    17" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Matte Type Display
    Intel Core 2 DUO Processor T7300 / 4MB L2 Cache 2.0GHz 800MHz FSB
    Artic Silver 5 (AS5) Thermal CPU Paste Compound
    Nvidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX PCI Express 16X with 512MB DDR3 Video Memory
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 X 1024MB
    100GB HDD (7200 RPM) SATA 150
    8X DVD±R/RW / 4X+DL Super Multi Drive & Software
    Integrated V.90/56K Modem (V.92 compliant)
    10/100/1000BASE-TX Fast Ethernet on boardLAN Card
    Intel® 4965AGN 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN
    Bluetooth V2.0
    8-cell Smart Lithium Ion Battery
    7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS PRO/MS DUO/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RSMMC)
    Integrated 1.3M Digital Video Camera
    Ac Adapter w/ power cord included
    Free Carry Case
    Windows XP Professional Edition

Now the sager 2090 was about $ 1500. Since its so much more just to get my digital output im now looking at other options. I looked at the alienware m9700 its cheaper and comes with the output. But the two questions i have is:

It comes with 2 256 gforce graphics cards not one 512 (unless you spend a bundle) does this make a difference? Do they work together as one?

Also it says the screen is clear view tech.. whats this?

Any recomendations about alienware (to get or not to get) would be appreciated.

Any other computer recomendations would also be appreciated.
    Basicly i want 2ghz intel duo processor, 15 or 17 screen matt, 2 gig ram, about 100 gig hard drive, 512 geforce video with DVI or any digital out for my HDTV and windows XP!

Notebook Evangelist

QUESTION 1.
    NOW IS THAT EVEN SMALLER AS WE TALKED ABOUT ABOVE? OR DOES IT LOOK EQUAL TO THE 15 INCH 1280 X 800 ?

It comes with 2 256 gforce graphics cards not one 512 (unless you spend a bundle) does this make a difference? Do they work together as one?

Also it says the screen is clear view tech.. whats this?

Any other computer recomendations would also be appreciated.
    Basicly i want 2ghz intel duo processor, 15 or 17 screen matt, 2 gig ram, about 100 gig hard drive, 512 geforce video with DVI or any digital out for my HDTV and windows XP!
    A 17" screen with the resolution of 1680x1050 would NOT be as small as 1680x1050 on a 15" screen, because you have 2 more inches of diagonal space. Would it be comparable to 1280x800 on a 15" screen? I don't really know; however, for a 17" screen, you should go with the 1680x1050. Definitely.

Now, about the graphics cards in the Alienware, a setup with 2 graphics cards is called SLI. These graphics cards will work together as one, so it is as if you have only one really good card. I know that this SLI setup would be better than one, because you have two GPUs, instead of one.

About the Alienware branding "clear view tech," I would assume (and am pretty sure) this means glossy type LCD. Many manufacturers call their glossy tech different things--for example HP calls their glossy screens BrightView, and Dell calls theirs TrueLife. Quite honestly, you are not going to find very many mainstream consumer notebook lines that have matte type displays. Mostly those are used in the respective companies' business lines of notebooks.

That said, obviously Compal and Sager have matte type LCDs, and I know the new Dell Inspirons have an option for matte type LCD's (only bad thing about the new Inspirons--they don't have a digital monitor output port). I don't really know of any other 15" or 17" matte screen notebooks out there, unless you look in the business section of companies. There may be some more consumer matte screens out there and probably are, but I don't know where.
    Last edited by kozzney; 21st July 2007 at 02:14 AM.
    dell xps m1330