Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Au laptop for architecture student / in depth MBP questions

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    ~upto $2800 (AUD) (which is ~$2450 US)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    14.1" - 15.4"
    i want these size screens mainly because i can see myself using it for long periods of time and want to be able to see what im looking at easily for those all nighters and still want to retain portability.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    -

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    autocad, photoshop, archicad, 3dsmax, other modelling programs i havent come across yet, word, some gaming, most of the time it'll probably websurfing.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    notebook will move around a bit, maybe take it to uni 1-2 days a week. not sure about this at all though because this is my first notebook.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    yes but im not much of a gamer, maybe some FEAR, C&C 3, THPS games, nothing too specific

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2.5/3+ would be nice, but i guess not a complete deal breaker

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    no, but would prefer to see it in person first.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    windows, although the new MBPs look nice.

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?
    widescreen

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    1440x900, but maybe a 1680x1050. although i find fonts on a 1680x1050, (seen running on windows xp) a little small but the extra real estate might be useful for my graphics programs.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    unsure, most laptops dont have a option anyway.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    yes i guess but not as important as other features

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    3-4 years

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 200GB?
    160gb would be nice but not a deal breaker by any means most notebooks hard drives can be change quite easily anyway.

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?
    yes, cant imagine burning too many dvds but i guess a DVD-RW drive because it'll be the only option in a notebook of the price range im looking at.

PS. just as a side note i have been looking at the santa rosa MBP, in particularily the cheaper 15.4" and spec wise it fits what im looking for quite nicely, but i have been using windows my whole life, and my uni teaches/forces me to use programs that are windows only. so i'd imagine i'd probably be using windows 85% of the time and OS X 15%, and i have a few questions about this:
    - windows compatibility, exactly what works and what doesnt, (i would probably be dual booting vista).
    - the amount of space OS X occupies, and how small can the smallest functional partition of OS X be?
    - battery life in windows compared to in OS X? i know how much people are getting in OS X but was unable to find out about windows.
    - does anyone know if features such as no tap-clicking in windows and accidental input and other unsupported issues will be supported in future versions of bootcamp?
    - are the heat issues really a problem, especially in windows, or has this issue just been sensationalized, like most problems generally are.

i know this sounds pretty bleak towards the OS X side but i do want to give it a chance but i know i will have to keep windows as my primary os because of certain constraints and ease.

If anyone has any ideas of other laptops i am completely open to suggestion or if i have something wrong and you want to clarify thats the reason i have posted here, for example i have been closely looking at the Dell xps m1330, the Asus F8 and V1S. But unfortunately the later 2 arent going to be out in time (i dont think so at least) and i kind of need to get the notebook soon seeing the semester has already started.

Thankyou for reading, i know its long.
    Last edited by sheldon77; 18th July 2007 at 02:30 AM.

Suspended Disbelief!

Default Re: laptop for architecture student

The Dell Precision M4300, Latitude D830, are options worth considering.
    Latitude E6440/4300m/16GB/Hybrid/9Cell/FPR/HD+
    XPS M1330
    T7300/8400GS/2GB/LED/9Cell/Fingerprint Reader Review

Notebook Deity

The HP Compaq 8510p would be an excellent choice. Great build quality, along with a powerful graphics card.

Notebook Evangelist

the precision and latitude when spec'd similar to the MBP are quite expensive, m4300 coming in at $3500 AUD and D830 at $3200, and i feel quite uninspired by the design and also the weight is greater than the MBP. why are there no equivalent windows based machines to the MBP in terms of power/weight/size? i always thought the MBP to be overpriced but they seem like a pretty good deal with student discounts.

and for the hp 8510p im going to have to get this laptop soon and apparently according to what seems like a pretty dodgey source it isnt going to hit the australian shores until october.

NBR Reviewer

Try looking into one of the Zeptos, specifically the 6624W/6324W. Both seem to be very nice machines that fit well to your needs.

EDIT: http://au.zepto.com/Shop/Default.aspx

Notebook Consultant

If you want to be able to use AutoCAD (or nearly any autodesk product), you'll need a PC. FormZ and ArchiCAD work great on Mac's though.

Perfect solution might be the Thinkpad T61p. You can actually customize it, whereas the hp 8510w is not "truly" customizable. Unless someone can tell me I'm wrong (I'd like one, but only if I can get it with 512MB of RAM and a 60GB HDD, otherwise the hp is way overpriced).
    Notebooks:
    thinkpad T61p
    15.4" WSXGA+ Quadro 570M + T7500 + 4GB DDR2 + 200GB 7200rpm + 9cell + XP pro - under 36 processes
    ordered 8/31 shipped 9/3
    canceled WUXGA order from 7/25.

For Sale: 12-cell Toshiba Battery PA3400U-1BRS
    For Sale: T7200 Intel C2D SL9SF
    For Sale: 2GB kit G.Skill DDR2-667 SO-DIMM

Notebook Evangelist

i have had a look at the zeptos a bit but i dunno about buying from a smaller brand. also im not so sure about their battery life. im not sure about the availability of thinkpads in australia.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: laptop for architecture student / in depth MBP questions

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon77 View Post
    - windows compatibility, exactly what works and what doesnt, (i would probably be dual booting vista).
    - the amount of space OS X occupies, and how small can the smallest functional partition of OS X be?
    - battery life in windows compared to in OS X? i know how much people are getting in OS X but was unable to find out about windows.
    - does anyone know if features such as no tap-clicking in windows and accidental input and other unsupported issues will be supported in future versions of bootcamp?
    - are the heat issues really a problem, especially in windows, or has this issue just been sensationalized, like most problems generally are.

[/B]
    1. With Bootcamp, Windows runs natively on MBP just like any other PC Laptop. So there are no issues with Bootcamp at all.
    2. Ummm, not sure about this, but i think that you can get away with around 10GB for Mac OS
    3. Havent tested yet, my machine is mostly plugged in
    4. Keep in mind that the current version of Bootcamp is still in Beta, i think all the issues u mentioned should be resolved in final release of Bootcamp
    5. Maybe the older generation MBP had heat issues, but the newer gen MBP has had no heat issues at all till now.
    Current Rig : Macbook Pro, 2.2 Ghz, 15.4" LED Screen, nVidia 8600 GT, 120 GB HDD, OS X Tiger & Vista Ultimate

Past Rig: IBM Thinkpad R51, Intel Centrino 1.6 Ghz,
    512MB RAM, ATI Raedon 7500 32 MB

Notebook Evangelist

hey ethanhunt, mission impossible fan im guessing, how often would you say you use your mbp under windows?
    i have also heard something about the fans not working 100% in windows?

from what im saying i guess im looking for someone in the same position, someone who wants to use windows as the primary os on MBP, although i do really like OS X. i think i might give it a try but windows will still be my primary os still because of compatibility.

So does any MBP users have some advice about windows on mac?

and one last question how much more space will leopard take than tiger?

thanks for the help so far guys.

Notebook Evangelist

bump bump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast