Quantcast DX10, Vista, & 8800GO

Closed Thread

Default DX10, Vista, & 8800GO

Heya,

I'm in the market for a new gaming laptop (like most others comming here I guess). My sager that i've had for 4 years has given out on me (graphics card blown and such). I'm presently concidering a Dell XPS or alienware, both with similar specs (2gig ram, 512MB nvdia 7950GTX +++). I go with the laptops cause I'm on the move a lot so desktop wont do.

My big shortfall is I see some people talking about Vista not running some games.
    So question 1 would be .. If I get a system should I go with XP? or stick with the vista since upgrades will be comming shortly.

2nd question would be I see people talk that DX10 and 8800GO cards will be out anywhere in 3 to 8 Months. I've read some posts that say this platform will be the one of the future and games will only be made for DX10 and the current DX9 will be out of luck. Is this the case?

I tend to run a laptop 3-4 years before upgrading or investing in a new one. I really dont want to wait months to get something but at the same time I dont want to invest 3,000 for something that will be obsolete in a cpl months. Will the current systems out now still be viable for mmorpg's and such for at least 2-3 years to come?

thanks in advance

The Random Guy

Default Re: DX10, Vista, & 8800GO

The Go 8800 is something that we are totally unsure about for the moment. Its release date is something that is something unknown, and the notebooks it will be implemented in, are also unknown. It should be more powerful than the current range of high end graphics cards, but unless you want to wait for months for that, its not worth it. Also DX10 games are not going to come out immediately. It will takes years before the majority of games are DX10. Remember, at the moment, theose who want to game, still have a DX9 graphics card, so games designers will take that into account, and will release games that are probably DX9. Also, if you buy now, you will probably go for the Go 7950 GTX, which is a very powerful gaphics processor, and something that wll certainly last a long time to come.

Santa Rosa, the new Centrino Pro platform, won't really make a massive difference in performance. The main difference is the draft .n wireless adapter, and the new 800 FSB Merom processors. Intel claim that battery life will be the same as the current Core 2 Duo processors, but until actual notebooks are sold and tested, we don't know for sure. In my opinion, Santa Rosa is not something worth waiting for.

If you buy a notebook now, then it should last quite a few years, and should more than satisfy yourself. This is the case only if you go for the high end range of components, like a Go 7950 GTX, and a fast processor.
    FSC Amilo XI 1546

Intel Core Duo T2400
    2 GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
    ATI Mobility X1800
    17" WXGA+ CrystalView Display
    500GB Hitachi GST 7K500 + 100GB Hitachi GST 7K200
    Windows 7 Professional
    External Display: LG 24" LCD 1920x1080 HAS

Notebook Consultant

Agree, I'm also looking at a gaming laptop. I was looking for info on the Go8800 and there's none but a little blurb saying it's not coming out any time soon.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4477

Those who are waiting for GeForce Go 8800 series to appear on notebooks are in for disappointment since there are no plans for that. Apparently, 90nm G80 proves too much for a notebook to handle. Therefore only mainstream G84 and value G86 will be available for notebooks, targeted for release in early Q2. Consumers will have to wait till Q3 this year to enjoy high end GeForce 8 series graphics on their notebooks when the die shrink happens.

In the past, when a new graphics card was announced, Dell would get it first a couple months before Clevo. So even when the Go8800 is announced, expect it to take 3-4 months before you see it in a Sager. If you're looking at a Dell then you'll be happy about them getting it first.

The dream system for me is a Sager 5760 with 200 gigs. I'd tell them to put Vista Ultimate on 100 gigs, and leave 100 gigs unpartitioned for XP. I hear the problem with Vista running games is the graphic card drivers. A few sites are posting fixes to get your favorite game working.

The budget system is a Toshiba P105-S9337 but I've heard their support is lacking, the case cracks, and the hard drives are only 4200rpm. Oh well, it's got a fast graphics card, but the rest of it falls apart.
    Last edited by robvia; 21st February 2007 at 01:43 PM.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    In my opinion, Santa Rosa is not something worth waiting for. If you buy a notebook now, then it should last quite a few years, and should more than satisfy yourself.
    That makes me feel better! I'm buying laptop in a couple of days, and was worried about all that stuff.
    From Russia with love
    Bought V1j
    Buying G1... [terminated]
    Buying hp6000t... [terminated]

look at all the colors...

Quote Originally Posted by robvia View Post
    Agree, I'm also looking at a gaming laptop. I was looking for info on the Go8800 and there's none but a little blurb saying it's not coming out any time soon.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4477

Those who are waiting for GeForce Go 8800 series to appear on notebooks are in for disappointment since there are no plans for that. Apparently, 90nm G80 proves too much for a notebook to handle. Therefore only mainstream G84 and value G86 will be available for notebooks, targeted for release in early Q2. Consumers will have to wait till Q3 this year to enjoy high end GeForce 8 series graphics on their notebooks when the die shrink happens.
    Even if it takes a while, and runs hotter than a P4 DTR, I'm sure that the Go8800, and probably even the Go8800 SLI setups will be available for laptops eventually. The question is, whether it's worth waiting. Considering that you will probably be able to game just fine on a 7950GTX for at least 2-3 years, and any notebook you buy now will only be used for 3-4 years, then I'd say it's not worth it. You need the notebook now, so get it, and don't look back. Just my opinion.
    Asus F8SV for play
    Dell D830 for work