Quantcast Core Duo 1.6ghz VS Core Solo 1.86ghz

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Core Duo 1.6ghz VS Core Solo 1.86ghz

I'm trying to decide between buying the A100-OFH (Core Duo 1.6) or A100-SK4 (Core Solo 1.86). They are exactly the same except for the processor and the Duo also has 20gig more HD. The price difference is $150.

My usage is web browsing, downloading bitTorrents (mp's, videos, movies), listening to music, copying CD's, copying DVD's (ripping, encoding, etc. using DVD Shrink), and some office productivity software. No games or graphical intenstive programs. When I do download files or encode DVD's I like to do other things in the background (mostly web browsing).

So, from what I know, duo core shines for encoding and multi-tasking. I was leaning toward this processor for the extra money since I want DVD encoding times to be as quick as possible (not sure just how much faster compared to the Core Solo). BUT, I have also heard that the core duo is actually SLOWER in straight forward simple processes like web surfing, etc. This is why i'm confused as to which processor to purchase.

Furthermore, I don't know how to compare the 2 because they are different speeds.

Any advice/recommendations/help is truely appreciated.

Thanks!

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Core Duo 1.6ghz VS Core Solo 1.86ghz

The Core Duo outperforms the Core Solo by far, especially for multitasking.
    The $150 increase is well worth it.

The Random Guy

As you have said, you run many programs at one time. Therefore Core Duo will probably be the processor of choice. You may think that the Solo is faster. Well, yes it may be slighly faster, but its certainly not noticible.

Futhermore, the Duo can handle multiple programs, better than Solo. It also comes with a larger hard disk, and as you have pointed out, you download stuff, so that may come in handy.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

I have to agree. Get the Duo, the extra core will help out even in single threaded apps since the OS overload can be handled by the other core while your single threaded applications run on the other. Moreover the difference between the 1.6GHz Duo and the 1.86GHZ Solo will be negligible in single threaded applications and is more than powerful enough to handle web surfing anf such mundane things.
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400 Intel Core 2 Duo T9400, ATi HD3470/Intel GMA X4500, 160GB Intel 320 SSD/320GB Fujitsu MHZ2320BH G2 5400rpm HDD, 4GB DDR3 1066, 14.1" WXGA+ CCFL, Windows 8 Pro x64
    HP Pavilion DM1-3000 AMD E350, AMD HD6310, 320GB Seagate Momentus 7200rpm HDD, 3GB DDR3 1066, 11.6" WXGA LED, Mint 14

Notebook Consultant

Very excellent...thanks for your replies! Looks like the core duo would be more appropriate for my usage and warrants the extra $150. I guess the 20gig HD is just a bonus.

Notebook Consultant

I got the Duo and noticed that it runs way HOTTER than the Solo I returned.

Notebook Consultant

I did an encoding comparison between the two using the exact same DVD, software, everything. Get this - the 1.86 Core Solo was TWO minutes faster than the Core Duo! Wow!

I also notice everything being just a tad faster with the Solo...windows opening, etc. I haven't ran 2 programs simulaneously so I figure that's where the Duo would shine. But overall, i'm pretty impressed with the Solo compared to the Duo

Notebook Consultant

I had the exact same decision to make recently. I went with the duo, because i often have several programs open, and get annoyed when things start to lag. I have not had the ability to make any fair comparisons though to solo core notebooks. Everybody just seems to reccomend that multitasking = duo, so i went with that.

The Random Guy

I think the reason why so many people recommend the Duo is because its the pretty much the same price as the Solo, but it has 2 cores. In a year, or maybe more, programs will be able to handle more cores, and it'll be better if you've got yourself a multi-core processor by then, because single cores, just won't cut it.

Notebook Consultant

Yeah but by then, even the duo won't be fast enough (1.6 will be too slow), so since we're talking about the future, i'd stay with the Solo. But for present needs, not future...prices are going to keep going down, so i'd say buy the cheapest one that will make your present needs satisfied. Core 2 Duo is coming out (or already out recently) and quad's are on their way. I have no plans to upgrade to Vista any time soon and i've already proven for myself that the Solo 1.86 is faster for MY needs. There are some pretty good explanations on why Solo is better than Duo for the next while on Google.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast