Quantcast check cable connection, no bootable device

+ Reply to Thread

Default check cable connection, no bootable device

Help!? The last pc repair courses I took were the year windows xp came out. Daughter brought laptop up and I found your forum and LOTS of references to the error message and the undetected hard drive. It looks like not just Toshiba's were involved? Since there is a key missing and I heard her tell our grandson to stop standing on the computer, I guess it deserves a look inside. Any suggestions?

Default Re: check cable connection, no bootable device

Hi and welcome to NBR!

It seems that the hard disk isn't being seen by the comuter.
    First, try go into the BIOS and check if the hard disk is still detected. Maybe you can still hear it spinning inside or maybe it might have accidentally been disconnected (or squashed).
    Want to help? The Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) project is looking for developers, testers and helpers for icons and maintaining the website - link.
    Have any questions about MPC-HC or the Combined Community Codec Pack? (click for web chat)
    For video playback: xy-vsfilter & CCCP (use the bundled version of MPC-HC)

Quote Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
    Hi and welcome to NBR!

It seems that the hard disk isn't being seen by the comuter.
    First, try go into the BIOS and check if the hard disk is still detected. Maybe you can still hear it spinning inside or maybe it might have accidentally been disconnected (or squashed).
    ok, been in BIOS doesn't show up. Thanks so much for responding! I took hard disk out and am going to reseat memory. Yeah, it looks like standing on a laptop is a good way to do one in!

When the hard disk is in the computer, are there any signs of it spinning?
    Want to help? The Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) project is looking for developers, testers and helpers for icons and maintaining the website - link.
    Have any questions about MPC-HC or the Combined Community Codec Pack? (click for web chat)
    For video playback: xy-vsfilter & CCCP (use the bundled version of MPC-HC)

Well, it looks like this one's done. There is a mark on the hard drive where pressure has been applied (dent) I imagine a dent is a real bad thing when dealing with super lightweight metal?

When it comes to laptops, is thinner and lighter not always the best way to go? Do consumers have a choice or are most alike? I will continue to read posts and see what you have all found out these past few years. Thanks a bunch!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
    When the hard disk is in the computer, are there any signs of it spinning?
    I will double check. Another thing I noticed was that when I removed the screw that holds hard drive cover in place, the metal tab that has the hole for the screw, and also is a bracket on the end of the hard drive is bent a little. (having to do with the aforementioned "dent")
    I am assuming that since the hard drive cover has a metal contact area that is supposed to touch the hard drive bracket that it is a ground, or completes a circuit.
    It looks like the connection might not be constant once the cover is in place, can't see of course, but I am tempted to make a washer type thing, just to get a better fit to see what happens.
    AFTER I make sure whether the hard drive is spinning or not.