Quantcast Bought a Netbook NB250 - am I missing Bluetooth?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Bought a Netbook NB250 - am I missing Bluetooth?

I hope you folks can answer this...I'm feeling a bit stupid after an impulse buy.

I just picked up one of Toshiba's netbooks being sold by Best Buy Canada, the NB250-001 running Windows 7 Starter. When I went home, setup was going along fine until I tried to pair up my BlackBerry via Bluetooth.

Both Toshiba Canada and Best Buy in their "specs" show this netbook has Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. However, I can't find any sort of Control Panel item having Bluetooth, nor is there any icon in the system tray. I even went to Toshiba Canada's website to download whatever Bluetooth related drivers there might be. When I tried to add a device, the netbook just sat there scanning.

I even tried my BT dongle from my HP, the dongle managed to install perfectly and only then did the BT icon option show up.

So...I guess I'm wondering if I actually have Bluetooth on this netbook or not. The price is swaying me to keep it anyway, but the principle of it is making me think otherwise.
    Richard | Focused 24-7

Home Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6-3073ca & dv-8120ca
    Work Laptop: Dell Latitude D830

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Bought a Netbook NB250 - am I missing Bluetooth?

Quote Originally Posted by SVTWannabe View Post
    I hope you folks can answer this...I'm feeling a bit stupid after an impulse buy.

I just picked up one of Toshiba's netbooks being sold by Best Buy Canada, the NB250-001 running Windows 7 Starter. When I went home, setup was going along fine until I tried to pair up my BlackBerry via Bluetooth.

Both Toshiba Canada and Best Buy in their "specs" show this netbook has Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. However, I can't find any sort of Control Panel item having Bluetooth, nor is there any icon in the system tray. I even went to Toshiba Canada's website to download whatever Bluetooth related drivers there might be. When I tried to add a device, the netbook just sat there scanning.

I even tried my BT dongle from my HP, the dongle managed to install perfectly and only then did the BT icon option show up.

So...I guess I'm wondering if I actually have Bluetooth on this netbook or not. The price is swaying me to keep it anyway, but the principle of it is making me think otherwise.
    I had the Toshiba NB205 (very similar to yours) and if I remember correctly you can tangle BT (and Wi-Fi) on and off by pressing FN+F8...
    Good luck.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by steve p View Post
    I had the Toshiba NB205 (very similar to yours) and if I remember correctly you can tangle BT (and Wi-Fi) on and off by pressing FN+F8...
    Good luck.
    Thanks. I tried that after some searching; however, the only "setting" was Wi-Fi. There was absolutely no BT setting available.

I ended up returning the netbook. The staff my local Best Buy first thought it could have been a defective machine. After some searching they felt it was more an error on Toshiba's part since all of the ones they had in stock didn't have BT.
    Richard | Focused 24-7

This model no bluetooth.

Check your system

Control panel - System - Device manager
    Find Bluetooth Radio or Network

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by siamnotebook View Post
    This model no bluetooth.

Check your system

Control panel - System - Device manager
    Find Bluetooth Radio or Network
    I already returned the netbook. So, it's no longer a concern for me
    Richard | Focused 24-7