Quantcast Toshiba satellite A350 bios recovery (Phoenix)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Toshiba satellite A350 bios recovery (Phoenix)

Hi
    A few days ago, I did a big mistake, I was trying to update my laptop bios, but the stupid winphlash , started without any intervention from me! and the result? a dead laptop. since then, I was badly looking for some solution, and finally I did it! my laptop is alive now! so I wanted to share the method with the forum's members.
    First of all, it's indeed possible to recover a dead bios using a usb drive! so, no need to use a usb floppy drive which is useless , since most modern bios files, are bigger than 1.44Mb, so the file can't fit in a single floppy!
    Second: a lot of people do not succeed in recovering dead bios because of using the wrong tools! the key is using a specific Phoenix tool. Crisis Bios Recovery , but one version is the right one : 1.0.0.4, it is able to creat a usb recovery drive ! you can download it from here :

Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1mnzygmizgm
    The method is as follow :
    1- Extract the rar file, you will have a folder named crisdisk.
    2- Download the bios flash rom file, and rename it to BIOS.WPH, the put it in the crisdiks folder , beside WINCRIS.EXE.
    3- Insert your usb drive , it’s better to have one with less than 2Gb, and open WINCRIS.EXE , choose ‘’Removable ‘’ in Disk format, thenk click on
    ‘start’.

4- Now, in your dead Laptop, remove the battery , CD or DVD rom, any card, unplug it from the AC source , and put in the usb drive.
    5- You must put your laptop in Crisis Recovery Mode, by Holding down: Fn+B and while holding, plug the computer in to power and press the power button.
    6- You should see the usb drive LED blinking for a while, then it stops ! wait for 2 or 3 min until the CPU Fan noise stops.
    7- Unplug the power , and boot yor laptop, it’s alive ! eh voilà !

Default Re: Toshiba satellite A350 bios recovery (Phoenix)

hey i got the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite A350D, but i didnt work out yet :S..........i tried several CrisisDisks, the only thing that works is the key-combination for getting in the special boot-mode, but after reading the dsk nothing happens, no peeping, the fan spins fast as before......
    which Model of the A350D you got exactly?

It worked for my Satellite A500 - N19 perfectly after crash during BIOS flash.
    I tried to flash the version 1.90 and the computer got frozen.
    I had problems to obtain the BIOS file because you only can download the WIN flash utulity. If you download the 1.90 win version you can start the application on another computer, then "browse" to the bios location within the application ( i.e. C:\WINDOWS\Temp\WINPHLASH\BIOS.ROM (2.1 MBytes large) and rename
    it as BIOS.WPH and place it into the crisis folder as described.

Create the bootable USB stick (the bios file is then in there, beware the USB stick gets erased!)

Boot the computer while hilding the F12 key during power button pressing.
    The USB disk shows an activity LED for above 10 secs, then the FAN powers up to maximum (good sign), wait and do nothing, the procedure needed about 2-3 minutes to complete. The computer went down itself and
    then remove the usb and restart - alife again !!!!!!

Thank you very much.
    It worked with my french Satellite P200D too.
    Great job, thank's again.

For those who try to rescue a broken bios :
    - take care to follow the steps described
    1. Create a boot disk with Phoenic Crisis Disk Build
    2. Look for the right bios from the Toshiba website - I tried several bios version until I found the goob one. With each wrong bios version the update went wrong and kept the screen black
    3. Only with the adapted bios version for my notebook the whole procedure workes well and notebook powered off alone. After this everything worked well again with the last bios updated.

It worked for me with an external floppy drive. I didn't try it with an usb stick.

Really thank's again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by dirak1974 View Post
    Hi
    A few days ago, I did a big mistake, I was trying to update my laptop bios, but the stupid winphlash , started without any intervention from me! and the result? a dead laptop. since then, I was badly looking for some solution, and finally I did it! my laptop is alive now! so I wanted to share the method with the forum's members.
    First of all, it's indeed possible to recover a dead bios using a usb drive! so, no need to use a usb floppy drive which is useless , since most modern bios files, are bigger than 1.44Mb, so the file can't fit in a single floppy!
    Second: a lot of people do not succeed in recovering dead bios because of using the wrong tools! the key is using a specific Phoenix tool. Crisis Bios Recovery , but one version is the right one : 1.0.0.4, it is able to creat a usb recovery drive ! you can download it from here :

Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1mnzygmizgm
    The method is as follow :
    1- Extract the rar file, you will have a folder named crisdisk.
    2- Download the bios flash rom file, and rename it to BIOS.WPH, the put it in the crisdiks folder , beside WINCRIS.EXE.
    3- Insert your usb drive , it’s better to have one with less than 2Gb, and open WINCRIS.EXE , choose ‘’Removable ‘’ in Disk format, thenk click on
    ‘start’.

4- Now, in your dead Laptop, remove the battery , CD or DVD rom, any card, unplug it from the AC source , and put in the usb drive.
    5- You must put your laptop in Crisis Recovery Mode, by Holding down: Fn+B and while holding, plug the computer in to power and press the power button.
    6- You should see the usb drive LED blinking for a while, then it stops ! wait for 2 or 3 min until the CPU Fan noise stops.
    7- Unplug the power , and boot yor laptop, it’s alive ! eh voilà !
    thank you to share us your knowledge

Dear, I have a problem with my notebook Satellite L305D-S6979A. I need to find the file Bios.WPH for my notebook. Do you help me please. Thank you. Best regards, Silvio

Dirak1974,

I have a bricked Toshiba A350 22Q.
    I tried your method with no luck.
    Could you please post the bios that you used to reflash? As mine doesnt work.

Thanks

I have extracted the Bios file for my Toshiba A350 22Q laptop with WINRAR.

-First I downloaded the official Bios update fom Toshiba website.
    -Then I unpacked the zip file (bios-20100421103433.zip) to a folder of my choice.
    -BE CAREFULL AT THIS POINT: DO NOT double click the unpacked exe file!
    in my case the file is called : BIOS_V240_Win.exe
    -Extract the *.exe file with WINRAR (Right click the exe and choose "Extract Here")
    -DO NOT TOUCH the SETUP.EXE files as they will start the update procedure potentially crashing your PC (any PC!)
    -You now should see a couple of files, but we only need the ROM file. (in my case: tkaa240a.rom)

I'm guessing this rom file can be used for the Toshiba A350/A350D notebook series. Better to get the rom for your model at Toshibe support site.

I have uploaded the BIOS Rom file here for people who want it:
    Use at own risk!

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I'm very thankfull to dirak1974 & other members on this and other forums for posting their solutions.
    However, I still havent been able to recover my Laptop. I tried various methods with 4 different USB sticks and also a USB 2.0 Card reader with 256 MB SD card.

My laptop goes into Recovery mode using FN+B, reads the USB stick/SD card for about 10 seconds.
    After that nothing happens. Waited as long as 20-30 minutes at various tries.

I'm very upset at Toshiba for putting such a dangerous bios update method on their website. I'm a advanced computer user and rarely have issues I cannot fix by myself.

The same thing as Dirak1974 and lots of other Toshiba laptop users (worldwide) happened to me.
    After download & unpacking, Winphlash just started the Bios upgrade without PROMPT! This is NOT acceptable!

Calling Toshiba customer service (The Netherlands) is really not helpfull at all. Telling me a bios update is not a smart thing to do.
    My answer-> Then why do you put it on your website? And a Bios update is sometimes neccesary for upgrading the machine.

After that the guy wanted me to send the laptop to a notoriously bad service center (regarding notebooks) DYNAFIX.
    Of course i will not do this if I don't want my notebook to be even more damaged.

In my case the Bios chip probably needs to be replaced (instead of the whole mainboard.)
    I dont have experience at this, so need to find someone who can.
    First i'll try some other sofware based solutions and hope for good luck.

I'll keep you guys posted...
    Last edited by choco1; 9th March 2011 at 02:12 AM.

I'm having a massive heart attack. My problem isn't new, same as the problems on this thread. No matter how good I follow these instructions something goes wrong.

I would like to know if you need to change the original bios rom's file extention too cos you'll be told if you change the .rom, your file will be corrupted. Should I change the file extention to (BIOS.WPH) or leave it as (BIOS.WPH.rom). Help me cos I'm confused. Thanks

I just realized that my pen drive or diskette is empty even though I run the crisdisk. Help!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast