Quantcast Windows 7 on Toshiba NB205

Closed Thread
    Notebook Deity

Default Windows 7 on Toshiba NB205

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that I just got Windows 7 running on my brand new NB205 and love it. The aero interface runs very smooth. To be honest, I didn't think that I was even going to be able to have transparent windows, but pretty much all the features that make windows 7 look cool work. I also haven't seen much of a performance decrease by going from XP to 7. Just slightly more choppiness going from XP to 7 when using Amazon video.

Did I mention that Windows 7 is running great and I'm only using 1 gb of memory? I have the 2nd gig sitting in a bag in my room, but I haven't installed it because so far everything has been quite snappy and smooth.

Highly recommend upgrading to 7 for you other NB205 owners.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Windows 7 on Toshiba NB205

Let me know how Hulu and Youtube play, my nb205 is coming from Newegg in a day or 2 and have already thought of tossing Win7 on there.

Notebook Deity

I tested Hulu in both XP and Win7. It plays with just a few dropped frames in windowed mode, but in full screen it tended to be really choppy. There might be a work around to get it to play smooth. I don't know. You tube plays great in both win7 and xp. Keep in mind that I am still using Win7 on 1 gb of ram. It is actually working really well. I already have the 2gb stick. I just haven't put it in because it has been running great already. I'll let you know how much of a performance improvement 2gb gives me. Maybe hulu will play smooth with 2gb.

Notebook Consultant

Flash is very CPU intensive; most Atom-based netbooks are going to struggle a bit with this.

I have mixed feelings about the NB205 on Windows 7. For the most part, the installation went smoothly and it just plain works. Mine remains stock, 1GB and 160GB hard drive. However, there are a few things I'm noticing:

- CPU load is sky high during wifi transfers. Copying a file from my home server over wifi runs the CPU up to 100%, much of that is kernel time. I'm not sure whether this is due to a bad driver, or whether Atom just doesn't even have the horsepower to handle that much network traffic.

- I haven't been able to get the SD card slot working / Device Manager shows one Unknown Device? and W7 cannot auto-find a driver for it.

- I'm not convinced that battery life is so great under W7 as it was under XP. Possibly W7 is not taking full advantage of any hardware power savings measures.

I'm running the RC. Otherwise, W7 runs fine and the netbook is serviceable, reasonably fast to boot and use.