Quantcast new laptop! what can I uninstall?

Closed Thread

Default new laptop! what can I uninstall?

I just got a new satellite a couple days ago, and am still wondering what I can take off/should leave on. It came with Vista, and I really don't have a problem with that as long as I can still play older games with it(the most recent one I've got is Morrowind) but I've got a ton of junk on it that I know I'll never use/don't need on there too. I have NOT hooked it up to the internet yet, I want to make sure I have everything that I don't need off of it first. I kinda looked around a bit first to make sure I didn't miss a huge sticky, but didn't see one, so if I did, just give me a slap upside the head and tell me to read that instead.

I actually found the forum because it came with Vongo, and that doesn't have an add/remove program link. Right now on the desktop it has that, Skype(which I don't want, and also doesn't have a remove program link) IE(normally use firefox, but I'll keep it around for online games) a software upgrades link, Toshiba assist, Toshiba direct, Toshiba DVD player, Toshiba registration, user's guide, play games, photoworks(has anyone used that? I have corel on my current pc, though all I really use is quick fix and crop/resize) norton 360(is that the one that is not supposed to be good, or is it a different one?) Microsoft Office works(looking for a corel word perfect, I like it better) lojack for laptops(never heard of it) get 15 free photo prints link(probably remove? is it just a shortcut or an actual program to be removed?) free web site link(probably same as the last?) emusic(I get 40 free songs, I'll probably keep it for that only, then delete it) auto backup free trial, then the normal my computer etc.

In the add/remove file it has a few doubles(norton, office etc) and has an activation assistant for office, adobe flash player/reader, atheros driver installation program, ahteros wi-fi protected setup library, ati catalyst install manager, catalyst control centre-branding, cd/dvd drive acoustic silencer, dvd movie factory for Toshiba, java, liveupdate 3.2(guessing for norton, since it is by the same company?) memeo auto backup, microsoft visual C++ 2005 redistributable, MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB941833) Realtek 8169, 8168, 8101E and 8102E Ethernet, Realtek high definition audio driver, realtek USB 2.0 card reader, synaptics pointing device driver, Toshiba configFree, T. disc creator, T. extended tiles for Windows mobility centre, T. games(by wild tangent, not Toshiba) T. Hardware setup, T. software modem, T. software upgrades, T. speech system applications, system SY engine(U.S.) version and TSS engine(u.s.) version, T. supervisor password, T. value added package and Windows Media Encoder 9 series.

In the startup menu, it's got a bunch of windows things. Photo gallery, movie maker, meeting space, media player(the only one of these I've ever USED. . .) media centre, mail(I hate that program. Any way to get it off? I tried on this computer, and it deleted a few programs I actually use like the games, notepad and paint instead? Dunno what I did wrong since it left everything else alone and I told it to only take off the one program. . .) messenger live download(okay, use that one too!) dvd maker, defender, contacts(don't think I need that one either?) calendar, the couple of Toshiba links again, an empty startup folder, maintenance, games, extras and upgrades, movie factory for Toshiba, the catalyst stuff again, and the normal accessories folder.

I also took off a couple of programs that I would never use(napster, quick books and google desktop/toolbar) but anything I wasn't sure of I left, though one of my friends told me that even if you delete a program, it'll still be there in fragments, and you need to do other things to remove it. Is that true?

And last night my boyfriend found a list of programs that open when you start up the computer, but I haven't been able to find that on my own, and it had a lot of stuff on it that I'd never heard of. Is there usually anything on there that I'd need to remove, or would those all be in the programs that I added/removed on my own.

Thank you, from a technologically challenged person

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: new laptop! what can I uninstall?

Hey!

congrats on your new laptop :]

I would remove norton and any other trial software that they have.

I haven't tried removing toshiba apps from my laptop yet, but some of them are probably important.

As for the list of programs that start, if you hold the windows key and press "R," you'll get a small box that says "run." From there, you want to type "msconfig" into the box. Then click on the "startup" tab at the top. There's your list of startup items ^_^ As for which ones to disable, you'll have to post a list or a screenshot or something, so people here can tell you which to keep and which to remove

Notebook Consultant

I would do a clean install from a Microsoft disk, and then ADD only what you need.

If that's not practical for you, install anything you won't use. I don't know about newer machines, but on my X205-sl3, if you uninstalled Picassa, the DVD-drive stopped working!
    X205-SLi3 Running XP (and loving it)

Notebook Consultant

The items that are in the start menu but not in the add/remove programs control panel are probably just links to the installers of the programs (once you click on the start menu item you'll get them into the add/remove list). If this is the case, just right click on the link to find the folder where the installation files are and you can just delete them outright, with no uninstall.
    Current: ASUS N80Vn-GP011C - Core2Duo P8600 (2.4GHz)/ 4GB DDR2-800/ 14.1" WXGA (1280x800) LED/ 320GB Hard Drive/ DVD Super Multi Drive/ NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT 1GB DDR2/ Vista Home Premium

Old/Backup Rig: Acer Travelmate 8104WLMi - 2.0ghz Pentium M (Sonoma)/ ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128mb/1gb DDR2/ 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050)/ XP Pro SP3