Quantcast Toshiba International Warranty

Closed Thread

Default Toshiba International Warranty

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a Toshiba Satellite U405 (looks like a nice machine) in the USA, and then bringing it back with me later to Australia.

Does anyone know whether the standard limited 1 year warranty is international, or do I have to purchase an international warranty separately? Does Toshiba do the same as Lenovo where some models are supported internationally and others are not?

I've checked the Warranty Center on www.csd.toshiba.com but I can't find an answer.

Thanks.

Default Re: Toshiba International Warranty

warranty is valid only in us, puerto rico, latin america and carribbean

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...b_20070423.pdf

Thanks zuba981, but surely one can buy an international warranty?

When I go to ToshibaDirect, I can choose from:
    1) Standard Limited Warranty
    2) Toshiba 2nd/3rd Year Extended Service Plan
    3) Toshiba 3-Year SystemGuard + 2nd/3rd Year Extended Service Plan
    4) Toshiba 3-Year On-Site + 2nd/3rd Year Extended Service Plan
    5) Toshiba 3-Year ServiceExpress + 2nd/3rd Year Extended Service Plan

but there's no mention of whether these warranties are international or can be converted to international ones.

Any idea?

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by zuba981 View Post
    warranty is valid only in us, puerto rico, latin america and carribbean

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...b_20070423.pdf
    If you actually read the document you posted you will see on page 13 that there is an international warranty, but from my own experience I can tell you that any upgrade to the standard warranty is only valid in the US so you only get 1 year international...

ASUS M50Sv-A1 with a 640GB drive

Thanks avi85.

I'm still confused about how to get the international warranty, the USA Toshiba website mentions nothing.

Are all standard warranties also international by default, or only the expensive ones (e.g. 3 years), or did you have to buy the international warranty separately?

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by minimumlikelihood View Post
    Thanks avi85.

I'm still confused about how to get the international warranty, the USA Toshiba website mentions nothing.

Are all standard warranties also international by default, or only the expensive ones (e.g. 3 years), or did you have to buy the international warranty separately?
    the 1 year standard is international, but any upgrade is only in the US, if the laptop you're considering has a 3-year standard warranty then you would have to see what it says in the contract...

ASUS M50Sv-A1 with a 640GB drive

Notebook Enthusiast

i just bought a new toshiba and got the 3 year warranty with accident protection for 269 from toshibadirect.com. i actually didn't pay attention to where it is valid. i guess if something happens in Australia, perhaps you can't remember where and mistakenly tell them it happened in the u.s. j/k

Quote Originally Posted by eli3 View Post
    i just bought a new toshiba and got the 3 year warranty with accident protection for 269 from toshibadirect.com. i actually didn't pay attention to where it is valid. i guess if something happens in Australia, perhaps you can't remember where and mistakenly tell them it happened in the u.s. j/k
    If something happened in Australia and the warranty was only valid in the USA then you'd have to send it to the USA to get serviced, probably at your own expense

I bought the top of the line Toshiba laptop Oct. '06 and bought the extended warranty. The unit was for my son who is going into 4th year physics. We live in Canada and I bought it in the US. Broke down Dec. 08, we called Toshiba HQ in Calif. and they told us to send it to Genamation, Markham, Ont., Canada. They received the unit Jan. 12th '09 and still have it. What a nightmare. Toshiba basically relinqueshes all responsibility to Genamation who do not even know their terms of engagement. They promised to repair and return, then advised us that Toshiba had cancelled the parts order for reasons unknown on Feb. 3rd without advising them. They promised to re-order and told my son he would have the unit back within 10 days. Then nothing. April 28th they wrote an email stating that units purchased in the US must be repaired in the US and offering us no compensation. They had the unit 4.5 months. Toshiba stone-walled us but did offer to repair it if it were sent to a US repair depot. Along the way, I got misinformation from several Toshiba employees, was unable to speak to a real person at Toshiba HQ on several occasions, was told once that Toshiba supervisors never speak to customers, and had the telephone receptionist at HQ tell me that she was not permitted to tell me who the CEO was.

My recommendation: buy anything but a Toshiba. Try phoning their support number before you buy and time how long they have you on hold.