Quantcast Any advice on Toshiba A300/A305 Fan Noise?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Any advice on Toshiba A300/A305 Fan Noise?

I recently bought a configure to order A300 laptop (t8300 Intel 2.4 GHz and 3 GB RAM, 120 GB primary, 200 GB secondary HD).

The fan seems to run a lot. Even in the Power Saver setting in Vista, the fan kicks on every 2-3 minutes for about 30 seconds, even if the PC is simply idling with no applications running. Does anyone have any experience with this? How did you solve? Has anyone been able to get Intel "SpeedStep" working in Vista to throttle back the CPU? I thought maybe this would help it run cooler, but haven't been able to get the CPU set back.

Toshiba Tech support was not helpful on any of this.

Thanks!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Any advice on Toshiba A300/A305 Fan Noise?

well if you bought it recently and have a problem, then i think you should take it back to the dealer for them to have a look. Especially because it's a new machine.

Toshiba tech support is it the website?
    HP Pavilion dv6899ei SPECIAL EDITION
    Intel Core2Duo T5550@1.83GHz
    4GB DDR2 533MHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8400GM
    500GB 7200.4 SATA NCQ 16MB

Notebook Geek

Thanks for the quick reply. I had ordered direct from Toshiba's website so I could configure to order, so I can't take it back to the dealer. But I called Toshiba Tech Support, but they were not helpful. I actually took it by a Toshiba authorized repair center for a look and they told me about 30% of the Toshiba models do run the fan a lot. I guess this may be one of those models. But from the reviews I saw of the A305, this did not seem to be a problem that was mentioned.

In any case, since this is a new model, the Repair peole could not say whether the fan operation seemed abnormal since they haven't yet seen any of this model in for repair.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by TimBikes View Post
    I recently bought a configure to order A300 laptop (t8300 Intel 2.4 GHz and 3 GB RAM, 120 GB primary, 200 GB secondary HD).

The fan seems to run a lot. Even in the Power Saver setting in Vista, the fan kicks on every 2-3 minutes for about 30 seconds, even if the PC is simply idling with no applications running. Does anyone have any experience with this? How did you solve? Has anyone been able to get Intel "SpeedStep" working in Vista to throttle back the CPU? I thought maybe this would help it run cooler, but haven't been able to get the CPU set back.

Toshiba Tech support was not helpful on any of this.

Thanks!
    It sounds like the vents are partially blocked, creating a heating problem even in 'idle' (when not running processes). but since you said its new i think you should take it back to the dealer. Try to monitor the CPU temp. & post it on.
    4GB DDR2 533MHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8400GM

Notebook Geek

I also thought maybe I could run it cooler by changing the power settings. This seems to have helped a bit, but I really think it could help if I could get Intel SpeedStep to lower the CPU clock speed. At least it's my impression that this could lower the temp of the CPU. Do you have any experience with this? How does one even measure the CPU temp anyway? I think there is some software, I'm just not sure what to use (I have Vista).

I would love to see if the fan is kicking on once the CPU surpasses some temp. threshold. Although it seems a bit crazy the temp would increase when the machine is simply idling without apps running.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Hster2 View Post
    It sounds like the vents are partially blocked, creating a heating problem even in 'idle' (when not running processes). but since you said its new i think you should take it back to the dealer. Try to monitor the CPU temp. & post it on.
    The vents seem clear, although there could be blockage inside the case. I thought maybe too they didn't attach the heat sink / apply the heat sink paste well in the factory.

Notebook Consultant

what did the Toshiba tech support say about your issue when you told them?

it's possible there's a problem inside. Just having the vents clear does not indicate that there's no internal blockage to the heat flow.

why not you let the authorised repair place open it and have a look.
    Afterall it is a new computer.
    4GB DDR2 533MHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8400GM

Notebook Geek

Toshiba told me I would have to take it to a service center. I think you have a good idea. I'll try to get it back to the service center. In the meantime I'll keep messing with the power options and see if I can get Speedstep to do something.

Thanks.

Notebook Consultant

Since it hasn't been in your hands for long, it's possible that you've been a victim of the many (small percentage) problematic cases from the factory.

In any case, open Task Manager without running any application/process, see if there're any active processes using the CPU, to isolate the possibility of malware in your system, (from the net for e.g.)
    4GB DDR2 533MHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8400GM

Notebook Geek

I don't think it is any malware - the Tech did take a look at my processes running. Amazingly, there were 90 some processes (and I really haven't installed much s/w). I uninstalled all of the Toshiba bloatware I could and a few other items so I'm down to about 80 processes. CPU utilization is typically 5% or so. So that doesn't seem to be it.

I put the "System Information - Windows" tool (http://www.pendriveapps.com/2007/02/...l-for-windows/) on a USB and am running it now to monitor CPU temperature.

As soon as the fan kicks off, CPU temp is 90 F for Core 0 and 84 F for Core 1. By the time the fan kicks on again (after about 3 minutes), the CPU temp has risen to 104 and 97, with the system idling. Seems like there really is something causing the temp. to spike. I will have to get it into the shop so they can open it up and take a look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast