Quantcast Power supply/system board issues with Toshiba Satellite A135

Closed Thread

Default Power supply/system board issues with Toshiba Satellite A135

The various threads on this forum really helped me deal with Toshiba and I wanted to share my recent experience in the hope it will help others given the seemingly awful quality of these notebooks. My Satellite A135 started having sudden loss of power problems only one week after the warranty expired. When the problem persisted I did a lot of reserach and concluded my model had the problems described with many others: a problem in the power connection in the system board (not the power cord) requiring an expensive repair. I called Toshiba and after painfully attempting to explain the problem and likely issue several times, was "escalated' to another customer "service" rep. who asserted the problem with with the power port and was due to "wear and tear" and in any event my warranty had expired. While I was pushing that they owed me a repair since (a) the computer was barely out of warranty (b) it was clearly a major defect and (c) many others had had similar problems and even sued the company, the woman actually hung up on me!! That really made me mad so I called back and another hour later they had agreed to cover a system board replacement under the warranty. Thankfully there was an authorized repair depot near my house and they had the new system board (cost would have been about $500) installed within 3 days. They also told me they had "piles" of Toshibas coming in for repairs vs. other models they service. The moral here is: be persistent if they give you a runaround on this, invoke the many legal actions against them which they will deny knowledge of, and--as I am about to do--complain to your state's attorney general. Hope this is helpful. If the computer dies again I will get a different model--my husband's Gateway seems to work much better.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Power supply/system board issues with Toshiba Satellite A135

Thanks for taking your time to share this info with us. I'm sure it'll help some of us. It's one of the purposes of this type of forums.
    HP Pavilion dv6899ei SPECIAL EDITION
    Intel Core2Duo T5550@1.83GHz
    4GB DDR2 533MHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8400GM
    500GB 7200.4 SATA NCQ 16MB

I had a very similar power supply problem with my Toshiba A135. I opted against contacting Toshiba Support only because I didn't have the time for the back and forth trying to get this "out of warranty" laptop serviced. I know... call me passive.

My specific issue was that the system would not charge when plugged in. I even tried to replace the power supply, resulting in the same problem. I then started to fiddle with the power adapter plug at the laptop. I noticed that when I wiggled and pushed the plug into place, the lights would come on, but once I removed pressure, the lights would go off.

Anyhow, I found this site, http : // www . irisvista . com / tech / (I couldn't post a URL, so just remove the spaces in the previous link), which provides a great tutorial on how to disassemble your Toshiba. After taking the case apart, I inspected the power plug on the laptop. The power connection is something that should be looked into by Toshiba. I would classify it as a safety recall. But, let's not take on that battle right now. I decided to twist to connector in an attempt to 'tighten' up the contacts. I tested the power connection and everything was working okay.

I don't expect this fix to last very long, but it is a band-aid. Maybe it will last until year end when I could justify purchasing a new laptop. This time, I won't get a Toshiba.

Well. This is just my experience. I hope it helps a little.

i have a similar problem like this. my laptop will only power on, if the powercord is unplugged, and i have to remove the battery and put it back in, then it will turn on, it charges while its on, but it says its running on battery power, any ideas?