zx5000

Discussion in 'HP' started by tatteredbackpack, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatteredbackpack

tatteredbackpack Newbie

Reputations:
    I have two issues to discuss.

I've been debating switching over from my Dell Inspiron to the HP ZD7000. But, after seeing the ZX5000 on HP's website, I think that one is more for me. However, the ZD7000 has been getting great reviews (editor's choice form several magazines), but I'm finding nothing at all about the ZX5000. But, after comparing the two systems, they seem to be identical except for screen size and that the larger unit has more movie editing goodies (which I don't need.) I'm a professional webmaster who lives/traves in many countries and requires a serious computer with excellent viewing and power. So, I'm seeking some reassurance on the ZX5000. A positive review on the ZX5000 from a computer magazine would be helpful.

As for my issue with Dell, I'd stick with them if they would only make their laptops more sturdy (my Inspiron 4000 screen mounts have snapped off twice, and the USB port on the back was anchored to the motherboard only and not the casing, which broke off within months.) Their new Inspiron 9100 looks like the computer I'm looking for (they got great reviews too), but I'm afraid that they may not have effectively delt with their screen mount/hing and USB port issues. Could anyone shed some light on these matters?

2. ettlz

ettlz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I've never seen a review in any magazines for a zx5000, but I have a zx5030EA (from the same series, obviously), so I could tell you my experiences.

OVERVIEW. Weighs in at 3.5kg, 15.4" screen. Not a small portable; makes my arm ache carrying it around.

CORE. The model I have is a Pentium 4 2.8GHz w/ 512Mb RAM and ATi Mobility Radeon w/ 64 Mb dedicated RAM. The screen is 1280x800 (8:5 wide aspect), and UT2003 appears to play quite well at this resolution.

I've noticed it does get quite warm: load it heavily (e.g. encode Vorbis, play 3D game) and it starts the other fan, blasting fairly hot air to the right of the keyboard. Both fans are mounted underneath the machine, so the zx5000 isn't suitable for working on the lap unless placed on some sort of tray.

STORAGE. 60Gb HDD (but I've no idea about the chipset used or transfer rate). The combined DVD/CD-R/CD-RW drive "does the job". Comes with Roxio EasyCD 6.

SCREEN. In the past, I've always preferred CRTs to LCDs, but the zx5000's is bright and sharp, and the azimuthal viewing angle is good (the colours distort if the elevation is more than +/- 20 degrees, though).

KEYBOARD/MOUSE. Nice keyboard, easy on the fingers. The touchpad includes a roller area, but doesn't like sweaty fingers. I advise get a USB mouse ASAP if you get a zx5000.

NETWORKING. Realtek 10/100 is fast; the Broadcom 54g is also.

BATTERY. I've never run mine down, but it probably lasts about 1.5 hours.

OS. It came loaded with XP/Home and a load of stuff I don't use (I'm a theoretical physics student), such as printer drivers, camera drivers, simple video editing tools, etc.

I'm currently toying with getting Fedora Core 1 on it, but I'm not sure how to do this safely (i.e. without it melting). Any advice here would be great! In fact, the reason I chose this one over the zd7000 was because I went into the store with the FC1 disks and kept trying notebooks until I found one that ran the installer.

CONCLUSION. Not the most portable notebook --- it's heavy, and the battery life ain't spectacular. Not suitable for soft surfaces, but overall quite powerful and reliable.

Hope this helps,

J H Ettle.

3. tewellbaum

tewellbaum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should be very pleased with the ZX5000.I own one and it travels very well.I took it on a plane and it was just fine.The notebook is sturdy as you need that for inspections at airports.The battery life is over 2.5+.I have the WSXGA+ screen and its great!
    I also got the leather carrying case (top load) and the 15.4" fits in it snuggly for great mobility.Check out Hpshopping.com and you can build it the way you like. Keep us informed!

4. Run1track

Run1track Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How does the zx5000 compare with Compaqs r3000z and/or the Dell 5150?
    I would guess that the performance and physical size are pretty much the same, and that the battery life is better with the Dell. Any comments?

5. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The HP zx5000 = Compaq R3000T (dedicated graphics ATI)
    HP zv5000 = Compaq R3000 (shared graphics ATI)
    HP zv5000z = Compaq R3000z (Atholon 64 with nvidia dedicated graphics)

6. Run1track

Run1track Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So are the zx5000 r3000z good quality notebooks?

7. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Those two offer the best graphics of the three. I have an Aquamark3 score of 19,746 and will run FutureMark eventually as well. The 9600 in these two is a great graphics card for any laptop.

8. tatteredbackpack

tatteredbackpack Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Ettlz for that detailed report (since a magazine review from one of the biggies is not yet available.) I'm pretty sure I'll go with the zx5000 now. Since I work most of the year in S.E. Asia, having a good fan system is important. I suppose my only question now is how difficult it is to get serviced outside of the USA (where I "live" and will by my HP.) If anyone has encountered overseas service issues with HP, I'd like to hear from them.

9. dordale

dordale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had my zx5000 for a little over a week...So far I'm very happy with it--agree with ettlz's observations--except battery life. I've only "tested" my battery once, but got about four hours off of it...running excel, surfing, writing e-mail. I did upgrade my battery to the 12 cell model. Could this account for the difference between 1.5 and 4 hours?!

dordale [:)]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.