Zune HD or iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nick, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I was looking at getting one of these, but I had a question.

How does the Zune App Store compare to Apple's App Store? I've had an iPod before so I know Apple's. Are there lots of free app on Zune's? I like the apps:) On my old iPod, I generally had noise makers, racing games, texting, etc.

Thanks

2. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Zune has several apps... (several, not several thousand)
    Zune is GREAT for music, but otherwise it's a waste of such great hardware.

My vote is for a new iPod Touch. Retina Display, 720p recording, Apple A4, 512MB of RAM, Multitasking, Gaming, Facetime, N-WiFi....

The only thing the Zune HD has working for it now is it's OLED screen, that's not anywhere near as pixel dense as the new iPod Touch.

3. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ZuneHD was a capable fighter until the new iPod came out. ZuneHD is great for music discovery and I really like the minialist interface design (ie. swipe album art to change track). The iPod on the other hand is more capable at doing everything.

It is so sad, the ZuneHD had so much potential, but I do see why Microsoft changed their focus to Windows Phone 7.

4. burkle25

burkle25 Are you a color?

Reputations:
    Zune has several apps, meaning 6 official apps last time I checked. I love my Zune 80, but I would get an iPod Touch )

5. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I had the same big debate a long while back with myself.

I went back and forth over every aspect of both devices as they were my top 2 choices and in the end I had to get neither because both of them had atleast one major flaw that was very important to me.

I cant remember exactly what the issues where now since I put it behind me.

But for the Zune it was for sure the lack of bluetooth that made me have to say no, otherwise it was great for what I wanted. I like freedom of wireless bluetooth headsets for athletic things like biking.

For the Touch I think it was lack of codec support, I think I had qualms with the internet browser, and if I am not mistaken it does not let you drag & drop your own music on the device (without hacks) due to apples DRM.

In the end I got the Nokia N900 and it did everyting I wanted + more.

Supports all video codecs, user replacable battery, user expandable memory (32GB built in +32GB Micro SD), has best internet browser on any mobile device, no DRM, supports drag & drop, has bluetooth, and maybe best of all I only have one device to carry around.

So moral of the story is maybe look at a good smartphone and not just dedicated portable music players, for me atleast it was a much better solution.

6. theneighborrkid

theneighborrkid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    also read the engadget review of the new ipod touch, guess there are some differences in iPhone 4 and iPod touch aside from the phone bit lol. Screen and camera are not as good (maybe that doesn't concern you though)

7. foosa123

foosa123 adsfjldsajflkajsdfa

Reputations:
    +1 for ZuneHD :D

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    That's what I did. My BlackBerry 9700 not only plays all the lossless formats (flac, ogg) I have in addition to my mp3, m4a, etc files, but does it very well too. As the 16GB MicroSD card I bought was a mere $18, it was a very worthy upgrade to hold all my music.

But to the direct question in the OP: there is rumor that there may be a new Zune released to succeed the Zune HD, although I don't remember the timeframe mentioned. Personal preference: I don't really like the iPod and don't care all that much for apps, but the new Touch's high-res display is very nice. For the low, low prices one can find the Zune HD at these days, though, I may still choose it over the iPod Touch if I were in the market.

9. Step666

Step666 Professional chubby Chris Pratt impersonator

Reputations:
    Chances are the release of any new Zune hardware will not take place until after the launch of WinPho7 as it's going to tie heavily into the Zune service and will coincide with said service being rolled out into more countries.

10. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    If you want an mp3 player that does more than play mp3s, the iPod Touch is pretty much the only contender in its category. The Zune HD does have apps, but the selection is nowhere near the Touch's capacity.

If you've had a Touch before and were happy with it, then by all means, get the new one as it's an improved version of the older ones with newer features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.