Zephyrus S17(GX703)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by werdmonkey4321, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Nyceis

Nyceis Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those of you who have Advanced Optimus on, do you have stuttering while gaming? The first unit I got back in August did and it was awful. I returned it and have a new unit coming soon.

When running in dedicated mode, it was a fantastic system though.

Another question, can anybody tell me what the CPU's power limit is on battery on the S17? I'm comparing to a Razer 17 2021 with the QHD and it is limiting the CPU to 18w on battery no matter what I do. Runs great on power, but its dirt slow on battery. Even my old 2019 Razer 17 let the CPU have 25w on battery.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  2. vincent9669

vincent9669 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had some stutters when out of the box but it was addressed in an update i believe, othewise the advanced optimus worked perfectly for me.

I don't have mine as it's in RMA i will let you know when i receive mine back ! :)

@Darkhan Did you finally got yours ? i really hope everything went ok with your RMA

For me a dude came pick it up, he didnt had any protective sleeve and i kinda feel bad about not taking any picture before ... really worried in which state it will be brought back.

Darkhan likes this.
  3. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ye I got it Saturday. I heard of horror stories but this is my first to experience.
    Booted and reinstalled my backup. everything seemed fine, ran timespy and GPU score of 4800?? I was shocked, then I looked at temps.
    CPU fine mid 70's GPU 108!! yep 108c.
    Opened up the unit took off the heat sink and not a single drop of paste on GPU. Everywhere else was fine, so I pasted and also noticed the screws were all barely snug, so I went over and tightened all of them.
    Now this CPU holds -80 UV where the old one would crash anything over 70.
    GPU temps max 78 that's new world on ultra for several hours and CPU max is 87. On Turbo my timespy is 12300 about the same as before, cpu is 11k. I would be sure and open it up and tighten all screws.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. vincent9669

Reputations:
    Damn Asus really ahha to be honest i feel like it's not them who does the repairs, they have service center who are approved by them i guess.
    I'm glad in all and all that everything is okay!

When i tried to repaste mine i struggled a bit, had to remove the speaker connector who is under the NVME ssd and the screen connector (very thin and i guess easily breakable). After repasting i had even worse temperature. Tried a second time with different paste and it was the same. I'm curious at how you started tightening the screen of the cooler, the 4 CPU screws had numbers on it, so it was easy however the GPU had only 3 screws so it was a bit tricky to tight it evenly on all side. Which paste did you tried ? I tried SYY 157, cooler mastergel, thermal grizzly kryonaut.
    Also i'm pretty sure that GenTech PC lied about repasting my unit, the thermal paste application looked factory, the liquid metal was overapplied (typical asus way of doing it) but what gave it away was the use of blue thermal puddy instead of thermal pads as they offered when i ordered, pretty sure i'll never go through their services anymore.

I'll attach a pic of my temps before i tried repasting while playing new world too! Thermal Throttle everywhere.

Also noticed that the third Nvme is almost not usable some cable are on the way, and they obstruct physically to attach an NVME.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Darkhan and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  5. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just went from corner to corner then the third all with slight tension then went back in opposite order to tighten full.

I used Noctua NT-H2 I have about every brand but that one is very easy to apply and felt like I wanted a close tight fit. Seems to be a good choice as temps are about 5c less than before.

6. exmeaguy

exmeaguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Very disturbing to hear that they forgot to paste the GPU and screws were loose. It just shows you Asus has no quality control.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  7. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there already a fix for the strange fan behaviour in idle? It was "pulsing" all the time without any need to do so. This is the only thing which holds me back to give the device another chance. Or do you all have a manual fan curve?

8. vincent9669

Reputations:
    Got mine back from RMA, 100C CPU and 96C GPU, they did nothing, actually made it worse.

9. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow these are horror stories, just ordered mine for a second time :D. Want to give it a second chance because it checks all boxes which are important for me:

-QHD G-Sync
    -3080 with more than 130W
    -Intel 11th gen CPU
    -Optical keys
    -17“ thin notebook

Darkhan and vincent9669 like this.
  10. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine is fine after I pasted the GPU. No fan ramp up ramp down noise. CPU stays high 80.s after hours of new world on max setting GPU gets 81 max.
    I did also take the 4 arms on the cpu heatsink and bend them up a little to apply more force on the cpu.

pitha1337 and vincent9669 like this.