Zephyrus S GX701 (i7-9750H) vs MSI GE75 (i9-9880H)... or wait?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Hosom, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Hosom

Hosom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    During the last months i have been thinking and thinking about my next laptop.
    I currently own a Dell XPS 15 (one of my worst laptop ever.. a LOT of problems here and there, and big thermal issues also after repaste and uv)

The laptop will be used for 3D Rendering (Cinema 4D) and Adobe applications.
    And some gaming here and there. So also the most powerful graphics is appreciated.

I was interested in these two laptops from HIDevolution (both repasted with liquid metal):
    • ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XB78 - 17.3" FHD 144Hz - i7-9750H - RTX 2080 Max-Q
    • MSI GE75 9SG Raider-655 - 17.3" Thin Bezel FHD 144Hz - i9-9880H - RTX 2080

Raw performance is higher on the MSI, of course. But i would rely 100% on liquid metal by HIDevolution. Without it, that thing is unusable.

ASUS offers better stock thermal performance, screen, portability, battery life (and recharge options) and IMO also design.

But i can't find any test relative to the ASUS ROG equipped in specific with a i7-9750H and RTX 2080 Max-Q...

So i can't really compare how much of a difference there is between the two.

1. Is that difference worth it? how much they differ in term of performance?

Should i even wait for new 10th gen? Could that be much of a performance increase? Did not even understand when 10th gen laptops will be aviable.

2. And what about the corrispective 2070 models?

Are 2080 and 2080MQ worth it for both? Or should i go with the 2070?

On HIDevolution the zephyrus equipped with a 2070 costs 800$ less than the one with a 2080MQ :eek:

Instead, the MSI equipped with the 2070 costs less than the one with a 2080 not max q.

Thank you guys :)

P.s. of course i accept suggestions for other laptops: the important part is that laptop + charger does not weight more than 3Kg... So avoid big desktop replacements such as the Area 51 M

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    they are 2 completely different beasts..

portability go for asus
    power go msi

nothing else for anyone else to say

3. Hosom

Reputations:
    From what I know the weight is the same.. but I can't understand the overall footprint. Then I also don't know how much of a difference there is between 2070 non mq and 2080MQ

4. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does the keyboard position on the asus not bother you?

5. Hosom

Reputations:
    Naah, last thing I am thinking about. The thing that bothers me more are performance and thermals

6. Viares Strake

Reputations:
    Got it. You mentioned portability which is why I thought the forward keyboard position might be an important factor.

7. Hosom

Reputations:
    Let's say relative portability.. I can't carry around everyday from class to home a big desktop replacement such as the area 51m, with 2 power bricks. But a 17" that weights around 2 or 3 kg with the power brick is completely fine :) I don't want to compromise thermals for portability.

8. Viares Strake

Reputations:
    Given the keyboard is not a concern I would grab the Asus as the build feels and looks better. It's not too flashy either.

Also from what you've described I don't believe you'll want the 2080; it's a lot of cash for maybe 10% gains over the 2070. You also might consider the 2060

One final note about the Asus - I believe the zephyrus model is lacking a webcam so you may consider that in your search.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  9. Hosom

Reputations:
    No webcam for me is a plus hahah
    I am tempted to go for the zephyrus for the design too.. and also because of the ability to be charged from usb c (slowly but still a thing). However the msi definitely has a better score on cinebench, and that would help me a lot with rendering. I would like to know also the opinion of an owner :/

10. Viares Strake

Reputations:
    You could try a separate post in the Asus owners forum of this site.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk